Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
mtc mtc started this thread

11 posts, read 31,682 times

Advertisements

I have been traveling through recently and wondered why no one has mentioned Des Peres as a good town? It looks like it is centrally located and seems kind of nice. Am I missing some information that makes Des Peres less than ideal? Is there a crime problem or bad town management or something like that? Same question for the nearby Manchester area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
There's nothing wrong with Des Peres at all. I think it may not get mentioned because it's sort of lumped together in West County. But there are some awfully nice homes there- just be prepared to pay through the nose for them. I have a friend who lives right off Dougherty Ferry and houses in her neighborhood (nice, older 2 stories with big back yards) sell for right about a 1/2 million.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
The area of Des Peres located east of I-270 is in the Kirkwood School district. Most people who aren't really familiar with the area tend to think of Des Peres as an upscale area of Kirkwood. The area of Des Peres located west of I-270 is located in the Parkway school district. Therefore, it gets lumped together with Manchester, Ballwin, Chesterfield, and all of the other West County suburban towns.

Des Peres has a great tax base (West County Mall), expensive housing, and a rec center that is one of the best in the area. It is a great place to live if you can afford it, much like neighboring Town & Country, a nice area doesn't get much discussion either.

Last edited by TGS; 01-04-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Oh I almost forgot about the Lodge at Des Peres. I love that place! My friend and I used to go up there and just float around in the lazy river all day.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
mtc mtc started this thread

11 posts, read 31,682 times
Thank you for replying, it's nice when a nice perception of a town is actually based in reality!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
I reviewed your original post and realized that I didn't address Manchester.

I lived in Manchester a few years back. It was safe, clean, great access to "big box" shopping along Manchester Rd. The area had a good mix of chain restaurants and independent restaurants. Crime was nonexistent. The schools are in the Parkway District which is well regarded. Many of the subdivisions are situated in beautiful hilly areas with lots of mature trees. I wouldn't hesitate to live in Manchester again.

Most people couldn't tell you the boundaries between Des Peres, Manchester, Ballwin, Valley Park, Twin Oaks, etc. They are all kind of clumped together west of I-270 and south of Highway 40. Everyone just lumps them together into "West County." The differences between housing and the middle-class and upper-class areas are determined more by the different subdivisions, not the city.

The only bad thing about Manchester is that traffic can be a bear on Manchester Road and Highway 141 on the weekends.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Friends of mine bought just behind the hospital, down the street from the lodge, 3770 squ feet, $725k

good hwy access and central location, nothing wrong with that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis