Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,964,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post

YouTube - Jon Scheyer Moon Walks Across the floor: Traveling NOT Called (HD)

how can refs call travel on inches but miss plays like these? These are calls against Duke and UNC two of the biggest college basketball programs going.

Also anybody can hit from 19 feet don't make that excuse its a jumpshot. The WNBA hits those shots and they're not going to be as strong as NCAA players.

You answered your questions earlier, refs are human and make mistakes.

Again, you are missing my point.

IT IS AGAINST THE RULES IN THE NCAA AND CALLED REGULARLY. IN THE NBA IT IS ACCEPTED AND EVEN ENCOURAGED!

I dont think I can be any clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM

389 posts, read 899,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You answered your questions earlier, refs are human and make mistakes.

Again, you are missing my point.

IT IS AGAINST THE RULES IN THE NCAA AND CALLED REGULARLY. IN THE NBA IT IS ACCEPTED AND EVEN ENCOURAGED!

I dont think I can be any clearer.
Sir, could you point out how its encouraged and how it isn't against the rules in the NBA?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,912,346 times
Quote:
I know you do skip, you strike me as the type that would. I don't care though. You haven't said why so it isn't important to me. Although I'm sure your opinion will fall in line w/ 'scrappy zone defense' and 'passing'.
This is you being a smartass. I dont think im alone in that opinion.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Damn good game against the magic and cavs and lakers and nuggets. Man, wish we could have that action in St. Louis. Scottrade would be a huge home court advantage. I know it could get louder than both Quicken Arena or Staples Center

Last edited by arch_genesis; 05-20-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,785,621 times
I'm still waiting for Arch's research on hockey fandom.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM

^ I'll get to it, I'll admit I'm not having much success, its not the easiest thing to find but I'm very interested in getting the numbers.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
New poster here. Here are some facts about the Blues.

During the 2007-08 season, they sold out 21 games, just over half of the games they play. The team finished 2nd to last place this year. They were 13th in the league on attendance, with mostly Canadian markets, or markets with hot teams, or are just overall larger doing better.

During the 2008-09 season, they sold out 30 (out of 41)home games, and two home playoff games.

Kansas City has over 150 blues season ticket holders. This includes smaller game plans. I also know of people who drive from Columbia, Cape Girardeau, Litchfield, Hannibal, Springfield (MO and IL), and Sikeston who come in to see home games in some degree of a season ticket package. (Also, to the poster who said KC did not have an NHL team in the last 42 years, that is false. Kansas City had a team called the Scouts for two seasons during the mid 70s. They moved to Colorado for a couple of years, then moved to New Jersey in 1982, where they are referred to as the Devils to this day.) Indianapolis did have a WHA team back in the 70s called the racers as well. This was the pro team Wayne Gretzky premiered with.

Six out of 42 seasons the Blues failed to qualify for the playoffs. Although they never won the cup, they have faired quite better than teams such as the Phoenix Coyotes, who have not won a playoff series since 1987 (as the Jets), and are possibly on the brink of relocation... and some serious debt. There are at least seven NHL franchises that are in worse jeopardy than the Blues. several of them have been blocked from relocation by the commissioner of the league.

The Blues have the corporate sponsors of AB-InBev, American Airlines, Nestle Purina, Schnucks Markets, Dish Network, and have just added Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield, SLU hospital, Energizer, and Kia Motors.

St. Louis hockey has over 80 years of history. This includes the NHL St. Louis Eagles (and other attempts to lure the NHL here, but failing due to the depression), the St. Louis Flyers, the St. Louis Braves, the St. Louis U. Billikens, the St. Louis Vipers roller hockey, the Missouri River Otters, youth hockey, high school (club) hockey, and of course the St. Louis Blues.

Personally, I dont believe the NBA could survive in St. Louis. If it ever came to STL, it would be nice for those who watch the game, but I would expect to see consistent success in attendance come from consistent success on the court. Case in point, the Colorado Avalanche of the late 90s, after relocating from Quebec City. The NBA seems to want to follow a pattern of markets of little to no competition. Case in point Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, and Charlotte. St. Louis does not fall on the list, even though this isnt mandatory to get an NBA franchise. You would have to see another owner want to bring in an NBA franchise.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I think I'm going to need to side with Fishtacos a bit on this discussion. It seems like St. Louis is much more of a college basketball town with the Billikens and secondarily the Mizzou Tigers. It's been quite a number of years since the St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta (and then the team moved somewhere else and I can't think off the top of my head just where).

So in terms of metro area populations, even though St. Louis and Cleveland are pretty even-steven, I'd be surprised, and pleasantly so, if St. Louis could support a new or relocated NBA team. It just seems like it's more into soccer than basketball (or at least it used to be).

(taking my daily dose of Pravastatin forthwith....!!)
I was reading through this thread and I found this argument particularly interesting. Just for the fact that SLU has the most ncaa division I men's soccer championships in college history.
10 Division I college championships.

Their soccer program is more successful than their basketball program. Basketball is more popular in terms of attendance but then again Chaifetz holds more than Hermann and its new.

Very interesting things to think about. St. Louis is considered soccer capital USA and SLU Soccer is more competitive than SLU Basketball. Yet northbayer says St. Louis is a college basketball town. Is it not a college soccer town too ? If not, does that mean St. Louis is more interested in basketball than soccer? If it is a college soccer town then doesn't the same argument apply to the MLS?

SLU soccer also runs it season head to head with MLS. NCAA basketball and the NBA also run concurrently.

So wouldn't the MLS find more competition from a successful college soccer program than the NBA would with SLU basketball? I mean we're not just talking about bad soccer, SLU has produced players who've managed to make it to EPL. The MLS isn't the best soccer league in the world not even close, so is it head and shoulders above SLU soccer?

I hope that makes sense. Crappy college basketball vs NBA or
Best college soccer ever vs MLS.

Last edited by arch_genesis; 07-06-2009 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM

767 posts, read 2,060,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
A couple NBA teams may move soon (I've mostly heard Seattle and some about New Orleans) to new cities (probably Vegas, Oklahoma City, or Kansas City (they have that beautiful new arena just waiting).

Collinsville is looking into getting an MLS team, also.

Could either/both survive here? Would you support them?
NBA definitelY! MLS - I would probably not attenbd games or watch on a regular basis.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,743,041 times
StL would support both the NBA and MLS.

It's a huge soccer market. I can't believe they don't already have an MLS team and that is such a small and niche sports market that it really doesn't effect other pro teams like NHL, MLB etc.

I also think the city could support the NBA even though it has NHL/MLB/NFL.

It's large enough, nearly 3 million and it's a proven sports city.

Will it happen? Probably not.

There are too many cities out there that have even more going for them. KC for example has a state of the art pro arena and no pro tenant. There are no pro winter sports in KC, yet there is 2.5 million people within 70 miles of Downtown KC. Plenty of people to support the NHL or NBA, not both, but one of them.

Sounds like StL is going to be fighting to keep the Rams too as they demand a new or remodeled stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis