Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times

Advertisements

I feel like the major problem with all of these places is that they're not really all that close to anything and are surrounded by some pretty grim areas that are heading downhill fast. If you're going to have to send your kids to private school anyway then why not live in the City? Maybe the crime is higher (for now), but property values are rising and it's a lot more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM

197 posts, read 264,869 times
That's the misperception. You are actually 10-15 mins from both clayton and downtown STL. Yes, the retail could be better along Natural Bridge, but that is the goal of the new street scape underway. UMSL, express scripts, Emerson are all nearby and there's a collaborative effort to improve the area. We couldn't feel more safe in our neighborhood. I certainly feel safer here than in the CWE.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM

147 posts, read 383,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
In addition to Pasadena Hills, Bel Nor and Bellerive Acres are also really cool. Pasadena Hills is like a cross of Claverach Park and the Moorlands in Clayton. Bel Nor reminds me of U City and St Louis Hills and Bellerive Acres looks like Willow Hill in Ladue. It's crazy how inexpensive these houses are and they're really only 10-15 mins from Clayton and Downtown. They're completely safe too.
I'd just like to second this. Beautiful homes in awesome, underrated neighborhoods. Great values to be found.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,966 times
We would pick Pasadena Hills over the City any day. It's very safe, quiet, and a beautiful place to live. I'd feel comfortable walking in the neighborhood almost any time of the day or night.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I feel like the major problem with all of these places is that they're not really all that close to anything and are surrounded by some pretty grim areas that are heading downhill fast. If you're going to have to send your kids to private school anyway then why not live in the City? Maybe the crime is higher (for now), but property values are rising and it's a lot more convenient.
This is not true.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:07 AM

I'm certainly a HUGE city supporter as well. We even looked in St. Louis Hills and Carondelet Park area. Those houses cost even more than Pasadena Hills. My point is that you can have an architecturally similar house as those neighborhoods and Clayton/ U City, but for a 1/4 the price. Also, Pasadena Hills is just as safe as those neighborhoods. I think once the streetscape updates along Natural Bridge are finished, the area will look much more inviting. 5 minutes from our house is a new Schnucks and brand new Target, near Emerson's HQ. You can even join an inexpensive Country Club like Glen Echo or Norwood. I certainly never thought that would be in my budget.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think city dwellers get frustrated with being constantly dumped on by ignorant suburbanites, which is valid. There's also a tendency to paint much of suburbia as inhospitably auto-centric development, which is only true 95% of the time (this is why central Kirkwood and Webster Groves come up often as suburban recommendations).

You see the same go-to recommendations a lot because if you want to live in a poorly-planned automobile plaza nestled between strip malls, basically anywhere is fine as long as it meets your intersecting criteria for price and commute tolerance. Cul de sacs and strip malls in O'Fallon and Ballwin are basically indistinguishable, and school districts are statistically irrelevant to student performance.
I continue to be amused at the irony of city dwellers who complain they get dumped on by suburbanites. Then they proceed to dump on the suburbs with complete generalizations. To each their own. Hasty generalizations are lazy and require little thought.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 PM

I love the city and parts of the county.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 PM

This listing still has to be one of the best deals in all of St. Louis. If this was in STL Hills, U City, Clayton etc, it would be far more expensive. Live in this rather large house, which faces a pond and send your kids to the nearby good catholic school, St. Anne. This neighborhood is very safe as well.

Address: 7242 S Roland Blvd, Saint Louis MO 63121
For Sale: $285,000
4 Beds, 3 Baths, 2,782 sqft

View this home on Zillow:
7242 S Roland Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63121 is For Sale | Zillow

Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 AM

488 posts, read 857,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
This listing still has to be one of the best deals in all of St. Louis. If this was in STL Hills, U City, Clayton etc, it would be far more expensive. Live in this rather large house, which faces a pond and send your kids to the nearby good catholic school, St. Anne. This neighborhood is very safe as well.

Address: 7242 S Roland Blvd, Saint Louis MO 63121
For Sale: $285,000
4 Beds, 3 Baths, 2,782 sqft

View this home on Zillow:
7242 S Roland Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63121 is For Sale | Zillow
So at this point you've plugged this one house so much, I'm guessing it's yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis