Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times

Advertisements

I had the opportunity to visit St Louis and stayed downtown. I was quite surprised...For some reason, I had preconceived notions that it was a rough city and kind of a boring town stuck back in the past. I was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite. I really liked it. I noticed how clean downtown was, and liked driving up to Clayton down Lindell Blvd and all the restaurants and nightlife up there. The architecture was really nice, and there seems to be a lot of cultural attractions. I would definitely come back. That said, I am sure there are bad parts, but what is nice is that is seems that the corridor between downtown and Clayton is in really good condition and provides a tourist with a lot to do! East St. Louis is another story...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Huh...it's as if the national media has painted a bleak picture of St. Louis to fit their narrative.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
Glad ya had a good time

Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 AM

488 posts, read 856,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I had the opportunity to visit St Louis and stayed downtown. I was quite surprised...For some reason, I had preconceived notions that it was a rough city and kind of a boring town stuck back in the past. I was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite. I really liked it. I noticed how clean downtown was, and liked driving up to Clayton down Lindell Blvd and all the restaurants and nightlife up there. The architecture was really nice, and there seems to be a lot of cultural attractions. I would definitely come back. That said, I am sure there are bad parts, but what is nice is that is seems that the corridor between downtown and Clayton is in really good condition and provides a tourist with a lot to do! East St. Louis is another story...lol.
We keep trying to tell people it's not how it looks on the news. Thankfully, a handful of tourists like you are still willing to brave our apparent gangland war zone to find out it's all a lie.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Spread the word!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,063 times
I would like to visit there how is the transportation there?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggestedbyyou View Post
I would like to visit there how is the transportation there?
Public transit? The Metrolink will get you to a few key areas, but it's very limited. I don't know much about the buses, but anytime I've looked into using them, there seems to be a lot of transfers involved. It looks complicated. We have taxis of course. I've never actually tried to flag one down. Don't know if that works here, but they are a phone call away and they usually hand around hotels. I believe Uber and Lyte (Lyfe?) are here as well.

If you're planning on visiting a wide area, I'd rent a car. If you're sticking to a general area, you'll have no problem either walking or getting a cab.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Public transit? The Metrolink will get you to a few key areas, but it's very limited. I don't know much about the buses, but anytime I've looked into using them, there seems to be a lot of transfers involved. It looks complicated. We have taxis of course. I've never actually tried to flag one down. Don't know if that works here, but they are a phone call away and they usually hand around hotels. I believe Uber and Lyte (Lyfe?) are here as well.

If you're planning on visiting a wide area, I'd rent a car. If you're sticking to a general area, you'll have no problem either walking or getting a cab.
Quote:
St. Louis is still the largest U.S. city without access to a peer-to-peer, app-based ride-sharing service like UberX or Lyft, but that’s expected to change.
I believe Uber currently operates in the Metro East only, but is supposedly coming to St. Louis this summer.

UberX Will Launch Soon in St. Louis - St. Louis Magazine

Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I believe Uber currently operates in the Metro East only, but is supposedly coming to St. Louis this summer.

UberX Will Launch Soon in St. Louis - St. Louis Magazine
Lyft! I knew it was something like that. That is here. I remember the big fight with the taxi commission.

I thought Uber was already here because it let me download the app and select St. Louis. I've never tried to use it though, so I'm sure this article knows more than I do.

This is a tough city to try to get by without a car, so I don't.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Lyft! I knew it was something like that. That is here. I remember the big fight with the taxi commission.

I thought Uber was already here because it let me download the app and select St. Louis. I've never tried to use it though, so I'm sure this article knows more than I do.

This is a tough city to try to get by without a car, so I don't.
Lyft was here at one point, but I'm pretty sure they bailed. We aren't currently listed on their site anyway. I never used it though so I'm not too familiar with the situation, or what happened with that.

https://www.lyft.com/cities

Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Lyft was here at one point, but I'm pretty sure they bailed. We aren't currently listed on their site anyway. I never used it though so I'm not too familiar with the situation, or what happened with that.

https://www.lyft.com/cities
Okay, I did some searching. I take it all back. Lyft is currently still under a ban in St. Louis. Apparently their trial isn't until August. Uber still hasn't been approved.

So, in short, we suck on the tech based ride sharing. Regular taxis only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis