Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,157 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from Florida where we use our pool a good 8 months out of the year. Several of the houses we've seen in the STL area have pools.

I'm use to taking care of a pool, but obviously never have to close it for the winter. Can anyone tell me what this entails and if it's worth it to own your own pool or if it's more of a pain than it's worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
I guess it pretty much depends on how much of a use this pool would have or perhaps how much you wanted it as in terms of house beautification purpose.

I may be wrong but I have not seen a whole lot of people having a heavy use of their pool in the West County area; however, it's good to have in a sense that it could serve as a small incentive to get out doors in this day and age where everyone is glued to their smart phones 24/7.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 PM

184 posts, read 245,424 times
It's a pain, but it's worth it if you use it. You can keep it open from about May to September. You could add an extra month on either end, but it wouldn't necessarily be warm enough to use on a regular basis during those months. You might have an occasional nice weekend though. Here is some info from Lowe's about how to close the pool for winter: Close Your Pool for Winter. You may have other maintenance from time to time, but you're probably used to that in Florida too.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:53 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
It'll depend on a couple things, how much you'll use it and how close (or available) a neighborhood pool is. I know we looked at a couple subdivisions that had neighborhood pools available, and if we'd moved into one of those we definitely would never consider a pool.

We're lucky enough now that the our municipal pool is about two blocks away...so on those hot days of summer, we have easy access. I've known some family and friends who've owned pools, and love them. They make a great place to hold a party or gathering...and I think I would use it moderately, but all in all I don't swim enough to ever justify putting one in.

If you're in the house hunt, and value having a pool then keep it as a criteria in your shopping. They're by no means uncommon up here, but it can be a "love it or leave it" item for many families.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:00 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times
This is only my opinion, but when I'm house hunting and see a great house,then see they have a pool...my heart sinks. Up here, I view a pool more as a liability and a hassle than a selling feature, especially with two small children. Just my two cents. In FL, it's almost an expected feature.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 PM

116 posts, read 211,635 times
If you have a heater on your pool, you can use it comfortably from May-October, maybe part of April. Without a heater, normal years, Mid-late May, through mid-late September.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
I recently moved here from Orange County, Calif where I always had a pool in each home I bought. I had a love/hate with each pool, loved it when it worked but.. well you know the story.

I decided to purchase a home without a pool because to be honest, if I was not able to use it year round I did not want to deal with one. I also may have developed a bias when I was viewing homes that all seemed to have let their pool go to seed- this was in the spring of 2014 and in Ladue, Town and Country, etc.

While I do miss having a pool sometimes, it just did not make sense for me out here.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:47 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
Not worth it in STL. It seems the "use" season is getting shorter & shorter. It seems last year the summer season was cut short by cooler temps and this year the summer season is hindered by rain. Unless your going to have an indoor pool it seems a waste as it will be closed most of the time. Invest in a fire pit instead...ready to move to FL.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
I wouldn't be too quick to judge based on a couple bad seasons. It's not a given that ten years from now our summer will consist of six straight months of daily rain.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
I often view owning a pool as a money pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis