Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,473 times

Advertisements

Hello, all--

I had a quick question. I moved from out of state, and I am looking to get a new license and plates for my car. Unfortunately for me, I realized that my out of state registration and plates expired at the beginning of August (I am an idiot). What possible consequences am I looking at? Any fees I should be worried about, etc.? I am going in first thing next week and don't plan on driving the vehicle (only to get my inspection taken care of and going to the DMV).

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Not much. As long as you're not pulled over by police it'll be a small fee at most.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,473 times
Thank you very much for the reply!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:59 AM

488 posts, read 856,928 times
Since they're out of state, probably nothing; however, if they do decide to charge you the fee, it's like $5 per month or something. The late penalty is really small - unless you get pulled over of course. Then, even if you do get pulled over, as long as you provide proof that you got it taken care of, they'll dismiss the ticket and just charge you court fees of around $40.

That being said, as the DOJ investigation made very public, St. Louis is a very ticket happy city and they will not only be glad to pull you over, if you park in a public lot anywhere and a cop happens to see your expired tags, they'll leave a ticket on your windshield. The cops used to hang in my apartment complex parking lot and they ticketed me in the middle of the night while my car was parked and doing nothing. So, don't assume parked means you're safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis