Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM

38 posts, read 173,409 times

Advertisements

Will be in STL this weekend and looking for a good, local, pizza place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 PM

23 posts, read 80,870 times
Imo's. It's a chain--so you should be able to find one fairly easily. It's genuine St. Louis-style pizza--you'll LOVE it or hate it.
They also have the best toasted ravioli around, IMO.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
If you want real St Louis pizza you'll want Imo's- they have locations all across the city. It's thin crust with provel cheese (it's like the American version of provolone) which is melty and delicious. Apparently, it's kind of an acquired taste though, as I have met some out-of-towners who didn't quite "get it."

Another good option would be Talyana's. I haven't been in years, but remember it being quite good.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Imo's is the place for real STL pizza, they are all over the area. People seem to have real love/hate relationship with Imo's, but I loooooovve it, always make a point to have it at least once while I am home.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
This topic is why everyone will always have a different opinion. As I say, all pizza is good pizza to an extent....but moving past that, I'll throw my two cents, and I am a big pizza fan.

1) La Pizza. This is my personal St. Louis favorite. It's in U.City on Delmar. Good people too. Only a handful of tables, but very possible you could get one. It's NY style, light airy fluffy, crispy crust, large triangle slices of fresh milk mozzarella. It's a tiny storefront place that does little advertising. They have a website.

The rest I would suggest based on neighborhoods that you might find yourself in at the time.

Soulard? Feraro's Jersey Style Pizza.(similar to above, not bad, not as good)

Midtown and City? Vito's Sicilian style Pizza at Vito's. SLU's campus. Ask mama Lafata to whip you up a snack with your pizza. Vito's a great a guy and his mom is a mean cook.....

Ami's in Rock Hill.

St. Louis style pizza is a no crust paper thin square cut pizza with provel cheese. You can find it all over town.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
If you're not in the mood for St. Louis style pizza, there's Racanelli's (with several locations) and my favorite, Black Thorn Pub (South city), since they have Chicago-style deep dish pizza

Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 82,793 times
Ditto on the Racanellis. I also love Dewey's Pizza in U-City and Kirkwood. They have the best salads in the world as well.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

38 posts, read 173,409 times
Thanks! Don't really like STL style pizza so I am excited about the other options. I like thick crust pizza and good cheese!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
Black Thorn Pub is the best in the area, but it can take up to two hours to get a pizza. If you go, just call ahead so that your pizza is waiting for you. That is what the locals do, and the main reason that the place may not seem all that busy but the wait for the pizza is insane.

Another good place is Pizza Della Piazza on the Hill.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM

30 posts, read 114,272 times
Bellacino's is my favorite pizza in the world... crust is medium thickness, the mozzarella is extremely fresh, and they don't skimp on sauce. Try a cheese and tomoto pizza... that's the stuff right there. I know there's one on Hampton and Chippewa, and there's one on Lemay Ferry near by Lindbergh Blvd.

Enjoy your stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis