U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,397 times

Advertisements

Wanting to move to 63109 or 63139 zip codes in St. Louis city (North Hampton, south Hampton, lidenwood park) Wanting to buy a house 2-3 bed 1-1/2 bath w attic space and/or basement space. Is there any streets that I absolutely should stay away from? Looks like I should stay as west as possible. Away from kingshwy. my max budget is about 135,000 so have to rule out some of lindenwood park. I liked some of the area of Devonshire and from what I saw it looked safe. But have heard rumors of theft and homeless sleeping in cars.
Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,247,602 times
We live in 63139, but not in the specific neighborhoods you're looking in. You may want to join these neighborhood facebook groups, if they exist. I'm pretty aware of some of the more interesting things going on in our neighborhood just based on chatter in our neighborhood's group. Overall, these zip codes are pretty quiet and safe, as I'm sure you know. Overall, just use common sense--in our neighborhood, there are definitely somewhat run down blocks with rental properties that aren't taken care of as well--I wouldn't want to live near those. Or near loud bars that draw a lot of drunk people. Etc.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 PM

There are condos/apartments at sulphur and Hampton. Do u know much about this area? I like the house right next store? Don't want to keep that on my maybe list of the people that live there aren't trustworthy? Are most of the 4 family flats rentals?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,247,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joptrot1231 View Post
There are condos/apartments at sulphur and Hampton. Do u know much about this area? I like the house right next store? Don't want to keep that on my maybe list of the people that live there aren't trustworthy? Are most of the 4 family flats rentals?
I am familiar with that area. Not the best, but not the worst. I wouldn't be a huge fan for a few reasons: Very close to Hampton, which is busy, and the number of fast food places around there that seem to have some police activity (I believe the Steak and Shake down the street was robbed at gunpoint in the last few months). Talayna's a few blocks down drives people crazy too (late night bar with LOTS of drunks). I'd advise looking more towards the interior parts of Dogtown.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,646 times
My favorite streets in the 63109 zip code (from an architectural perspective) are Lisette and Sutherland. Devonshire is pretty great. Murdoch is nice too, but unlikely that you'll find something at your price point.

Being by Kingshighway will take you into Princeton Heights- which I wouldn't rule out if you were south of Christy Park- you'd be surprised by how quiet some of the blocks are. You could get a great value around there for 135k. Goethe, Milentz, and Holly Hills by Kingshighway have some great finds.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 PM

Looking at 2 places on Devonshire actually at the corners of sulphur and Devonshire and then just before the weird diagonal street wherry. They houses look well cared for and most quite large.
Thanks for the input.
Keep giving info this is very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: