Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
I was with the understanding that STL ribs describe the cut of the actual meat, not the method of preparation. Is this correct...?
Yes, St Louis ribs is a very specific officially recognized cut.
St Louis Style barbecue though includes using that spare rib cut, but also direct heat grilling and heavy tomato-based saucing after grilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Yes, St Louis ribs is a very specific officially recognized cut.
St Louis Style barbecue though includes using that spare rib cut, but also direct heat grilling and heavy tomato-based saucing after grilling.
Anymore, "St Louis STYLE" BBQ is hard to distinguish from Memphis Style. Pappy's and Bogart's definitely gravitate towards a Memphis Style. Sugarfire on the other hand, is definitely more KC Style.

STL cut spareribs are ribs that have the cartilage and some of the flap meat removed. The result is a nice, rectangular cut of spareribs.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:01 PM

129 posts, read 129,239 times
Philadelphia has cheesesteaks at Pat's or Geno's
Pittsburgh has sandwiches at Primanti Brothers
Atlanta has hot dogs at The Varsity

Many cities have their quintessential must-eat experience. Does St. Louis have one?

Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post

Many cities have their quintessential must-eat experience. Does St. Louis have one?
I'd say Italian food on "The Hill" and Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Yes, I'd go with the Hill (any place but Rigazzi's) and Ted Drewe's as must eats. I also think you must eat Gooey Butter cake, but not frequently. It's heavenly and oh so unhealthy.

I also think getting barbeque from Sugarfire or Salt and Smoke is a great idea.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM

436 posts, read 521,402 times
Whichever place on the hill claims they invented toasted ravs. I think it's Anthonino's? Could be wrong.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post

BLT and a malt at Crown Candy.

Maybe not as famous, but a burger at O'Connells Pub.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Came to say Crown Candy.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:40 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I moved away a few years ago and can't get a "pork steak" anywhere....that part of the pig must not grow out here in the west. I miss StL food and need a care package with pork steaks, ribs, toasted ravioli, provel cheese, Gooey Butter Cake, and a StL pizza. A concrete wouldn't survive the trip. Maybe a hot dog from Busch Stadium? I'll pass on the brain sandwich...if you can still get one (never saw one anywhere else). Don't send beer...I have that.

I got so desperate that I tried to make Gooey Butter Cake but at almost 6,000 feet it was a crusty pudding. Tasted great.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved away a few years ago and can't get a "pork steak" anywhere....that part of the pig must not grow out here in the west. I miss StL food and need a care package with pork steaks, ribs, toasted ravioli, provel cheese, Gooey Butter Cake, and a StL pizza. A concrete wouldn't survive the trip. Maybe a hot dog from Busch Stadium? I'll pass on the brain sandwich...if you can still get one (never saw one anywhere else). Don't send beer...I have that.

I got so desperate that I tried to make Gooey Butter Cake but at almost 6,000 feet it was a crusty pudding. Tasted great.
Just an FYI, pork steaks are just sliced pork butts from the shoulder (bone-in or boneless). You can ask your butcher to cut a whole pork butt roast for you...voila--pork steaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis