Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 9,019 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are a couple in our early 30 s with a 18 mo old moving from miami to st Louis.We are looking for a place to rent close to work ( SLU). Based on several recommendations we thought central west end would be a good bet. We don't care much about schools, but night life / bars/ social life along with parks and open spaces does matter.
We are looking for a 2 br in a high rise with security and amenities.Are there any penthouses in the area to rent?
Any recommendations? Also will I have to go the realtor way or can I do things online?
Thanks in anticipation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 06:00 PM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir.thewayahead View Post
Hi
We are a couple in our early 30 s with a 18 mo old moving from miami to st Louis.We are looking for a place to rent close to work ( SLU). Based on several recommendations we thought central west end would be a good bet. We don't care much about schools, but night life / bars/ social life along with parks and open spaces does matter.
We are looking for a 2 br in a high rise with security and amenities.Are there any penthouses in the area to rent?
Any recommendations? Also will I have to go the realtor way or can I do things online?
Thanks in anticipation!
Yes. There are a quite a few options in downtown and central west end. It comes down to square footage and cost.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:23 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,732,863 times
LOTS of options for this in the CWE and downtown, but if access to open space is important then the CWE might be the better option due to its proximity to Forest Park. Both are close to SLU. The CWE has more of a lively, neighborhoody feel, but downtown has newer renovated buildings that are slightly cheaper than comparable places in the CWE. You definitely won't need a realtor to find an apartment in St. Louis, as the housing market really isn't that competitive. Welcome!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
LOTS of options for this in the CWE and downtown, but if access to open space is important then the CWE might be the better option due to its proximity to Forest Park. Both are close to SLU. The CWE has more of a lively, neighborhoody feel, but downtown has newer renovated buildings that are slightly cheaper than comparable places in the CWE. You definitely won't need a realtor to find an apartment in St. Louis, as the housing market really isn't that competitive. Welcome!
Thanks for the replies!

Is downtown safe for families and kids? Are there any parks around there? Thought i'd ask as Miami downtown is not considered very safe.

Also if i dont have to go to realtors, who do i go to? Do the apartment buildings have their own leasing offices?

Any recommendation of specific apartment buildings around in both CWE and downtown?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 AM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir.thewayahead View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Is downtown safe for families and kids? Are there any parks around there? Thought i'd ask as Miami downtown is not considered very safe.

Also if i dont have to go to realtors, who do i go to? Do the apartment buildings have their own leasing offices?

Any recommendation of specific apartment buildings around in both CWE and downtown?
I live downtown and its reasonably safe. Be aware of your surroundings and you should be ok.

Yes there are parks downtown with kids and adults in droves especially during lunch hours. City Garden is really nice.

I recommend checking out the Arcade and the Tower at OPO both downtown. The Arcade is a rehab vintage building and first residents moving in this month. The Tower is modern with large floor plans as well. Both are very centrally located with Grocery Store, quite a few bodegas, Metrolink, Movie theater, Bowling alley tons of restaurant and bars within walking distance. The disadvantage is Downtown isn't as vibrant during the winter months and can seem very empty after 6.

I am not as familiar with the Central West End but I know its nice and there are many options as well. It very walkable with restaurants and grocery stores like Straubs and Whole Foods is opening in a few weeks. Its right at Forest Park with Metrolink access as well. Not as dead as downtown during the winter months. Just as safe if not more safe than Downtown.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM

136 posts, read 278,770 times
Central West End seems ideal for you. I have two sets of friends with kid(s) that live in the CWE. One in Towne House on Lindell, and the other couple have bought a house on Maryland Ave (or was it McPherson? One of them).

Old 12-02-2015, 05:33 PM

685 posts, read 754,331 times
The Central West End and Downtown could meet your needs. I'd also consider Skinker-Debaliviere, Clayton, and possibly South Grand (north of Utah). Being near either Forest Park or Tower Grove Park is a huge plus.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
You definitely won't need a realtor to find an apartment in St. Louis, as the housing market really isn't that competitive. Welcome!
So what would be the best way to go?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I live downtown and its reasonably safe. Be aware of your surroundings and you should be ok.

Yes there are parks downtown with kids and adults in droves especially during lunch hours. City Garden is really nice.

I recommend checking out the Arcade and the Tower at OPO both downtown. The Arcade is a rehab vintage building and first residents moving in this month. The Tower is modern with large floor plans as well. Both are very centrally located with Grocery Store, quite a few bodegas, Metrolink, Movie theater, Bowling alley tons of restaurant and bars within walking distance. The disadvantage is Downtown isn't as vibrant during the winter months and can seem very empty after 6.
Wow...that was very informative!......Until now downtown was not on my look out list.....Now it is!....usually associate downtowns with not so safe areas specially after dusk.
I looked at google maps in the area and see the city garden and even a library near by ( great for my 18 mo ) as well as bars and restaurants for us.Nice!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 PM

286 posts, read 348,456 times
The main library is impressive, but I don't know that it's super friendly for an 18 mo old. It is beautiful and does have good resources though.

living close to Forest Park would be really nice for a young family with a toddler, if you ask me. The zoo is in Forest Park, as is the science center, both of which are free for the majority of attractions (only a handful of special stuff requires you to pay for it at either place). CWE has tons of good food/bars/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis