Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 PM

203 posts, read 199,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I missed this one from you! Hell yeah! None of the tv affiliates in St. Louis should show NFL games, or provide any NFL coverage! A total blackout! And the citizens of that city should wash their hands completely of the NFL, like you alluded to!
. LMAO yes, that will certainly be a hit for the vast number of OOT NFL fans (especially transplants like myself) who would much rather watch infomercials from noon-6 every Sunday from Sept-Dec!

*snarkasm*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:17 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
WRnative... I remember it very well. The NFL is a good ol boys network, and were all a bunch of Modell cronies! Of course the majority were going to allow him to move. I'm glad that Browns fans fought the NFL and Modell and made them leave the name, history, and colors in Cleveland. Given the circumstances here with the Rams, and the fact they left LA, screwed that fanbase, relocated to St. Louis, and now leaving St. Louis screwing that fanbase, to go back to LA, I think it would be appropriate to retire the Rams name, and forge a new identity, and legacy in LA under a new name, and logo. In my opinion the Rams legacy is tainted and no way in hell if I was an LA fan would I want that name anymore! Think about it. What if the Browns name went to Baltimore and they became the Baltimore Browns, then 20 years later turn around and come back to Cleveland as the Browns! I'm a diehard Browns fan, but no way in hell would I want it like that! Do you see what I'm saying?
No1brownsfan, you do know where the Rams were founded, don't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...Cleveland_Rams

The Rams nickname is too good to see it lost to pro football IMO. Additionally, the Rams Cleveland history with the immediate emergence of Paul Brown and the Browns dynasty is too cool to be forfeited, especially for Cleveland Browns fans.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-13-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Figures from the CDC study regarding concussion rates don't support your theory. Boys soccer has far lower concussion rates than boys lacrosse. I could also see how those rates could be mitigated fairly easily without changing the nature of the game. A soft partial helmet could be introduced (similar to wrestling). Padding at the front for heading the ball would not be necessary as the vast majority of concussions in soccer occur from falls (back of the head) head to head collisions (side of the head). Numbers at the bottom of this page here:

Stats on Concussions </br> & Sports - Head Case - Complete Concussion Managements
The issue in soccer is repetitive head impacts in addition to concussions.

Consequences of Repetitive Head Impacts and Multiple Concussions - Sports-Related Concussions in Youth - NCBI Bookshelf

As for concussions:

Causes of Head Injuries in Soccer | Is Soccer Bad for Children's Heads?: Summary of the IOM Workshop on Neuropsychological Consequences of Head Impact in Youth Soccer | The National Academies Press

There is concern in the sport:

No more heading: US Soccer out with new guidelines for youth soccer - TODAY.com

Ban Heading in Youth Soccer - NYTimes.com

Old 01-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The reason for the relocation fee disparity boils down to the attractiveness of the Baltimore and LA markets. Any franchise (outside of 3-4) would get a huge multiplier in franchise value by moving to LA. That's worth something. Baltimore is just a market offering a stadium solution. It's not appreciably different than Indianapolis in 84, St Louis in 95, Nashville, Phoenix, etc. at various points.
As with the Rams' move back to LA, it wasn't a stadium issue that inspired Modell to move the Browns. Modell would have had a new stadium in Cleveland and actually had turned down a proposal for a new stadium; he controlled the old stadium and wanted it upgraded and for the Indians to be forced to continue to play there.

Apart from the New Browns' pathetic history, the worst aspect of the whole episode is that the NFL gave Cleveland (actually Cuyahoga County) so little time to build a new stadium, that there was no option but to build the limited use stadium on the very valuable and precious lakefront footprint occupied by the old Muni stadium. That was a disaster and everybody knew it.

The goal had been to locate the new football stadium next to the new baseball stadium, but there insufficient time to use eminent domain to acquire the needed property and the goal in Cleveland had been to locate all pro sports venues in the heart of downtown, a brilliant goal that helped fuel Cleveland's downtown renaissance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevel...on_controversy

Modell also pocketed at least $50 million for making the move, according to reports.

<<
It wasn't just for the Cavs and Indians. The GSEG approached Art Modell about building a new Cleveland Browns stadium. In fact, the land on which Progressive Field sits was originally supposed to be for the new Browns Stadium. Here the city was offering to build him a stadium in which he would have to pay NOTHING to get.

Modell wouldn't have it. Modell wanted to own the stadium. He wanted the people of Cleveland to pay for a stadium that he would own. I can't fathom a reason why he expected Cleveland to accept those terms. GSEG told Modell that his terms were not going to make it....

The week before the City of Cleveland was to vote the referendum giving Modell $175 Million, Modell announced that he had struck a deal to move the Browns. Starting with the '96 season, Modell would be the owner of the Baltimore Browns. The deal Modell took was great for him. He was promised a $200 million dollar stadium to be built by the state, state paid improvements to Baltimore's Memorial Stadium, which would be the Ravens home field for the next two seasons, and to top it all off, Art Modell was given $75 Million dollars for "moving expenses". Everyone knew that the moving expenses was pretty much a nice little thank you to Art. The number thrown around is that Art cleared $50 million, but nothing has been proven.

Many people believed that the timing of Art's announcement was to try and sway the people of Cleveland to vote down the proposed tax addition. He could then claim that the Cleveland wasn't willing to help him in getting a new stadium which would help him in convincing the other NFL owners to allow him to move. Never mind that Modell himself was the one who walked from GSEG. The people of Cleveland went out the following week and overwhelming passed the sin tax extension. The people of Cleveland answered Modell's financial S.O.S. Modell didn't care, he had a sweetheart of a deal from Baltimore. >>

Why Modell moved the Browns - Dawgs By Nature

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu...text=sportslaw

There's a reason that Modell IMO may be the most hated person in Cleveland history and has, as of yet, not been voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The owners probably still want Modell enshrined as he always showed them the way to more massive profits.

When the Bengals needed a new stadium, the Brown family gave the city time to work out a solution. It's too bad that Paul Brown never controlled his original team in Cleveland.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-13-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Will they be taking their 7 fans with them?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Default Powerball winner in LA - hell, its probably Stan Kroenke...

Powerball has a winner in $1.5 billion jackpot, according to reports

According to California state lottery officials, the lucky person, whoever they are, bought their ticket in Chino Hills, Calif., a suburb of Los Angeles.
Read more »

Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Powerball has a winner in $1.5 billion jackpot, according to reports

According to California state lottery officials, the lucky person, whoever they are, bought their ticket in Chino Hills, Calif., a suburb of Los Angeles.
Read more »
It's Stan Kroenke. He rigged this one too.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
It's Stan Kroenke. He rigged this one too.

Hell, If I would have known the lottery was rigged I would have cheated and counterfeited my ticket to match the winning numbers.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:10 PM

684 posts, read 791,447 times
Upon winning the 1.5 billion dollar jackpot, a reporter asked Kroenke what he planned to do with the money, He simply replied, "I plan to make a bid for the St. Louis Cardinals."

Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
. LMAO yes, that will certainly be a hit for the vast number of OOT NFL fans (especially transplants like myself) who would much rather watch infomercials from noon-6 every Sunday from Sept-Dec!

*snarkasm*

Too bad for the OOT NFL fans visiting the city. I guess they would have to find something to do! Because if I were the city of St. Louis, at this point I'd want nothing to do with the NFL! As for those who have relocated to St. Louis...welp... get the NFL ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
No1brownsfan, you do know where the Rams were founded, don't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...Cleveland_Rams

The Rams nickname is too good to see it lost to pro football IMO. Additionally, the Rams Cleveland history with the immediate emergence of Paul Brown and the Browns dynasty is too cool to be forfeited, especially for Cleveland Browns fans.
I'm aware that they started in Cleveland. And as I said if it were the Browns taking their name to Baltimore, and then coming back to Cleveland with it 20 years later, I'd want no part of it, because as I said it's now tainted! Thankfully, that isn't happening, and thankfully the name, history and colors stayed in Cleveland where it belonged. The Rams were only in Cleveland for a short time anyway, and the Browns from the newly formed AAFC immediately filled the void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As with the Rams' move back to LA, it wasn't a stadium issue that inspired Modell to move the Browns. Modell would have had a new stadium in Cleveland and actually had turned down a proposal for a new stadium; he controlled the old stadium and wanted it upgraded and for the Indians to be forced to continue to play there.

Apart from the New Browns' pathetic history, the worst aspect of the whole episode is that the NFL gave Cleveland (actually Cuyahoga County) so little time to build a new stadium, that there was no option but to build the limited use stadium on the very valuable and precious lakefront footprint occupied by the old Muni stadium. That was a disaster and everybody knew it.

The goal had been to locate the new football stadium next to the new baseball stadium, but there insufficient time to use eminent domain to acquire the needed property and the goal in Cleveland had been to locate all pro sports venues in the heart of downtown, a brilliant goal that helped fuel Cleveland's downtown renaissance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevel...on_controversy

Modell also pocketed at least $50 million for making the move, according to reports.

<<
It wasn't just for the Cavs and Indians. The GSEG approached Art Modell about building a new Cleveland Browns stadium. In fact, the land on which Progressive Field sits was originally supposed to be for the new Browns Stadium. Here the city was offering to build him a stadium in which he would have to pay NOTHING to get.

Modell wouldn't have it. Modell wanted to own the stadium. He wanted the people of Cleveland to pay for a stadium that he would own. I can't fathom a reason why he expected Cleveland to accept those terms. GSEG told Modell that his terms were not going to make it....

The week before the City of Cleveland was to vote the referendum giving Modell $175 Million, Modell announced that he had struck a deal to move the Browns. Starting with the '96 season, Modell would be the owner of the Baltimore Browns. The deal Modell took was great for him. He was promised a $200 million dollar stadium to be built by the state, state paid improvements to Baltimore's Memorial Stadium, which would be the Ravens home field for the next two seasons, and to top it all off, Art Modell was given $75 Million dollars for "moving expenses". Everyone knew that the moving expenses was pretty much a nice little thank you to Art. The number thrown around is that Art cleared $50 million, but nothing has been proven.

Many people believed that the timing of Art's announcement was to try and sway the people of Cleveland to vote down the proposed tax addition. He could then claim that the Cleveland wasn't willing to help him in getting a new stadium which would help him in convincing the other NFL owners to allow him to move. Never mind that Modell himself was the one who walked from GSEG. The people of Cleveland went out the following week and overwhelming passed the sin tax extension. The people of Cleveland answered Modell's financial S.O.S. Modell didn't care, he had a sweetheart of a deal from Baltimore. >>

Why Modell moved the Browns - Dawgs By Nature

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu...text=sportslaw

There's a reason that Modell IMO may be the most hated person in Cleveland history and has, as of yet, not been voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The owners probably still want Modell enshrined as he always showed them the way to more massive profits.

When the Bengals needed a new stadium, the Brown family gave the city time to work out a solution. It's too bad that Paul Brown never controlled his original team in Cleveland.

Good stuff! Oh and BTW even with that sweetheart deal Modell received in Baltimore, he still went broke! Do you know that when the Jaguars and Panthers were brought into the league via expansion that Baltimore was one of the cities in the running, and Modell voted against it? Well, now we know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis