Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel safe in Downtown St. Louis>
Yes 19 76.00%
No 5 20.00%
I don't come Downtown... 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Yes. I live downtown and have never had anything to happen. Most people who don't feel safe downtown are the suburban and rural go Cards demographic. Its unfortunate but a reality.
Sadly , you just described 80% of metro St Louis. Downtown StL is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
I feel fine there. I'm suburban and have zero issues going to games, city museum, restaurants, etc. We will do staycations with our kids. It's not N St. Louis and I don't anyone who wants to kill me, so...MOST violent crimes are not random, even here. I know to be city aware but the places I go in STL are not IMO less safe than any other city. I do feel more at risk for a car break in. We don't leave valuables in the car but I will go on just fine if my car is broken into. It happened to me in a different city.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM

197 posts, read 264,982 times
Crime is down in Downtown St. Louis by close to 20% since 2009. The media here loves to sell negative and fear stories. If it bleeds it leads... So, downtown continues to add more and more residents, restaurants and the new start-up business scene continues to grow. The city-bashers all over STLToday are hicks living in basements in some suburban hovel covered in vinyl siding. sorry.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 67,053 times
That's where I read the article from STL1980 lol

Old 02-05-2016, 03:13 PM

That was my thing too...if its supposed to be so dangerous Downtown, then why do people keep moving there. The media angers me!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 PM

197 posts, read 264,982 times
http://www.downtownstl.org/wp-conten...2015-Final.pdf

Here are some good stats. yes, Downtown keeps adding people every year. And even more so this year with the Arcade opening, 720 Olive, Alverne which has two-level apartments (soon), etc.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:20 PM

I love the Arcade building! They did a great job on that!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I feel fine there. I'm suburban and have zero issues going to games, city museum, restaurants, etc. We will do staycations with our kids. It's not N St. Louis and I don't anyone who wants to kill me, so...MOST violent crimes are not random, even here. I know to be city aware but the places I go in STL are not IMO less safe than any other city. I do feel more at risk for a car break in. We don't leave valuables in the car but I will go on just fine if my car is broken into. It happened to me in a different city.
There are many in the suburbs who come downtown and don't fear. Sorry for the generalized comment.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
I'm suburban and go downtown all the time. Do I get off the beaten path at night away from crowds, not really. I also don't do that in Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, etc.

I think the stereotype and general contempt by city dwellers vs suburb dwellers is pretty tired. We're all one region and those living in the counties contribute heavily to the ultimate survival of downtown STL.

You know why I live in the suburbs? Because the city schools are HORRIBLE and I don't want to pay major bucks for private school.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Actually, the schools are getting a lot better. I have my daughter in the magnet school program, and she loves it. My youngest will start in August. She learned so much there. After moving back to STL from Kansas City, she was in a suburban school district and was very bored there because the things they were teaching were things she learned in Kindergarten in the city schools.

Test scores are up in the city, and the district has gained accreditation again. So, I'm proud to have my daughters in SLPS. But, that is a whole different topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis