Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:50 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Meet us in St. Louis in 2017!

Losing the NFL isn't so bad when you've got a Shake Shack coming. It's also where Danny Meyer (owner) grew up, so he was destined to bring one to his hometown eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 AM

53 posts, read 67,041 times
This is so awesome! Can't wait for 2017 to get here!
I love St. Louis!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
Never had it but I've heard the hype, so I guess that means it's good that we're getting one. Also happy to see that it's in the CWE!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM

203 posts, read 199,200 times
Don't get your hopes up too high.
I ate at one in Philadelphia last year.
For $15 you get what is in essence a Steak N Shake quality, greasy overcooked burger, soggy buns and basically Ore-Ida crinkle-cut French fries.
Chocolate malt was OK.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:01 AM

383 posts, read 392,338 times
Never heard of the place, but does not sound like the healthiest place to frequent. Shake Shack. UGH. The name seems to say it all. Just what this town needs - more greasy, unhealthy, crappy food to make people fatter! Wouldn't it be nice for some healthy options for once!

Gus's Fried Chicken moved in down the street from me. You wouldn't believe the crowds lined up out the door! The large majority of people patronizing the place have been extraordinarily obese. Leaving with huge soft drink cups and smoking while waiting to get in the place! But, hey, it's a free country! Put all the crap you want in your body.

I haven't eaten out in over 6 months, and I only ate out because I was out of town! Maybe people should try to eat a home a little more - with their families! There are really no healthy options out there as far as restaurants go. Amazing that these types of restaurants continue to thrive with the SAD diet causing so many health issues. Sorry for the rant - I just find it amazing!

This is one of the reasons I can't stand St. Louis. Too much overeating, big gulps, smoking and inactivity. My family and I were walking to the track from out house for exercise (about a mile away and with workout clothes on), and we had people ask us if our car broke down and if we needed help. Same thing when we walked to the pool! Amazing.

Sorry to be such a killjoy......

Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Assuming they haven't announced the opening of a location elsewhere in the Midwest, it appears that St. Louis is going to be the first Midwestern city to get a location after they expanded to Chicago a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Never heard of the place, but does not sound like the healthiest place to frequent. Shake Shack. UGH. The name seems to say it all. Just what this town needs - more greasy, unhealthy, crappy food to make people fatter! Wouldn't it be nice for some healthy options for once!

Gus's Fried Chicken moved in down the street from me. You wouldn't believe the crowds lined up out the door! The large majority of people patronizing the place have been extraordinarily obese. Leaving with huge soft drink cups and smoking while waiting to get in the place! But, hey, it's a free country! Put all the crap you want in your body.

I haven't eaten out in over 6 months, and I only ate out because I was out of town! Maybe people should try to eat a home a little more - with their families! There are really no healthy options out there as far as restaurants go. Amazing that these types of restaurants continue to thrive with the SAD diet causing so many health issues. Sorry for the rant - I just find it amazing!

This is one of the reasons I can't stand St. Louis. Too much overeating, big gulps, smoking and inactivity. My family and I were walking to the track from out house for exercise (about a mile away and with workout clothes on), and we had people ask us if our car broke down and if we needed help. Same thing when we walked to the pool! Amazing.

A New York City company decides it has an interest in expanding in St. Louis, and you find a way to make it out to be a negative for the St. Louis area. Alrighty then.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:12 PM

203 posts, read 199,200 times
Quote:

As a very active transplant from the Southwest, I hear you loud and clear.
When I moved here and went out to lunch with my co-workers for the first time, I was absolutely stunned at the sheer quantities of food they consumed. And similar to the Gus' Fried Chicken patrons, these are 300 lb+ people that should not be eating massive quantities of fried fatty junk.

We had a potluck at work and I brought a healthy spinach and artichoke dip I made without mayo/sour cream. I was laughed at for five minutes and told "it don't taste good." Then, when I politely declined a White Castle slider, I was called a "food Nazi" by a 275 lb chain smoker. Uh-huh, sure, whatever you say, squire.

My coworkers also moan when I bring grilled salmon or other seafood. Apparently, healthy seafood options here are considered taboo, with the only preferred options being fried/battered fish during the Lenten season.

I do enjoy the toasted raviolis here. Not a fan of provel, gooey butter cake (which is like eating pure lard), or pork butt steaks.

There are some healthy options here- Jason's Deli, Sweet Tomatoes, Whole Foods et al. Or, one could simply order a salad.

I work with people that eat fast food EVERY day, refuse to exercise, then wonder why they have issues with thyroid, hypertension, achy joints, etc. It's OK to get a burger, pizza, fries, whatever once in a while - just go for quality over quantity and balance your lifestyle accordingly.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
There are really no healthy options out there as far as restaurants go. Amazing that these types of restaurants continue to thrive with the SAD diet causing so many health issues. Sorry for the rant - I just find it amazing!

There are plenty of healthy options. My favorite is Crazy Bowls n Wraps.

There plenty of people jogging all over the metro area if you don't want to see them then...

This post is amazing. People like to eat what they want. If you are a healthy person thats fine but don't force your values on everyone else or judge a city by it.

-----

Most "popular" chains are over hyped. Look at Five Guys and to a lesser degree Sweety Pies. The only chain that didn't loose its quality when they became a nationwide trend is St.Louis Bread Co. I guess its something I will have to try one day and judge for myself. It is nice to see national retail and restaurant chains locate here before they hit othe midsized metros in the Midwest and Southeast.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:32 PM

383 posts, read 392,338 times
It IS a negative. It's just propagating an unhealthy lifestyle. Who cares where they are from.....that is irrelevant.

I guess my frame of reference is skewed after living in Madison, WI for 13 years. Before moving there I heard it is it's own utopia, and I guess it is. I have been shocked since leaving there (Detroit 1.5 yrs and here almost 2). I guess I would worry if I was the ONLY one shocked at what I see going on. Glad to have a kindred spirit CarlosLevy.

Like I said, it's a free country. But, with freedom comes some personal responsibility.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
It IS a negative. It's just propagating an unhealthy lifestyle. Who cares where they are from.....that is irrelevant.

I guess my frame of reference is skewed after living in Madison, WI for 13 years. Before moving there I heard it is it's own utopia, and I guess it is. I have been shocked since leaving there (Detroit 1.5 yrs and here almost 2). I guess I would worry if I was the ONLY one shocked at what I see going on. Glad to have a kindred spirit CarlosLevy.

Like I said, it's a free country. But, with freedom comes some personal responsibility.
It isn't a negative, and not everyone wants to live the way you do. Your frame of reference is skewed because you lived in a state capital that is doubling as a large college town for 13 years, and now you're comparing it to a vastly larger, and frankly more stereotypical, Rust Belt Midwestern metro that's trying to retain its young people.

I'm in a different age group than you (mid 20s), and the friends I have who still live in St. Louis are healthier than what you're describing, but also do not give a damn about what anyone else is eating or likes to eat. They work out, are in good to decent shape, and eat healthier than most. The difference is that all but one of them lives in the city of St. Louis. The younger crowd is more open to what you're looking for, but the middle aged and older suburbanites who are set in their ways in the suburbs are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
As a very active transplant from the Southwest, I hear you loud and clear.
When I moved here and went out to lunch with my co-workers for the first time, I was absolutely stunned at the sheer quantities of food they consumed. And similar to the Gus' Fried Chicken patrons, these are 300 lb+ people that should not be eating massive quantities of fried fatty junk.

We had a potluck at work and I brought a healthy spinach and artichoke dip I made without mayo/sour cream. I was laughed at for five minutes and told "it don't taste good." Then, when I politely declined a White Castle slider, I was called a "food Nazi" by a 275 lb chain smoker. Uh-huh, sure, whatever you say, squire.

My coworkers also moan when I bring grilled salmon or other seafood. Apparently, healthy seafood options here are considered taboo, with the only preferred options being fried/battered fish during the Lenten season.

I do enjoy the toasted raviolis here. Not a fan of provel, gooey butter cake (which is like eating pure lard), or pork butt steaks.

There are some healthy options here- Jason's Deli, Sweet Tomatoes, Whole Foods et al. Or, one could simply order a salad.

I work with people that eat fast food EVERY day, refuse to exercise, then wonder why they have issues with thyroid, hypertension, achy joints, etc. It's OK to get a burger, pizza, fries, whatever once in a while - just go for quality over quantity and balance your lifestyle accordingly.
Christ, where exactly do you work/live? Like I told gypsyjudy, it might be an age thing, but I don't even know people my parents age over in the Metro East who even care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis