Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Stenger seeks to double St. Louis County police presence on MetroLink lines | Law and order | stltoday.com

...I didn't realize ridership was down the last couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 PM

203 posts, read 271,434 times
They should spend some money on turnstiles and securing the platforms as well. How many mass transit systems work on the honor system for paying fares?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
How many mass transit systems work on the honor system for paying fares?
Fairly common. Per a 2012 article, 14 others in the US (parts of LA + 13 others mentioned in article). I have no idea if LA is entirely turnstiles now or not. I've been on some in Europe that are honor system as well.

Edited to add article: http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/...r-cities/1910/

Old 03-09-2016, 03:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
So frustrating. I was a frequent rider for 4 years when I didn't have a car. I wish the security firm they hired actually did something. In my experience, the security problem has little to do with the number of security personnel and everything to do with them being rent-a-cops who don't confront anything or even act like they give a darn. I really wish the tax increase we voted for was being used for actual transit services/expansion.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

59 posts, read 80,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
In my experience, the security problem has little to do with the number of security personnel and everything to do with them being rent-a-cops who don't confront anything or even act like they give a darn.
This. I ride both the train in the bus often, and I think this is the biggest problem. There are people around, but they are usually talking to each other or playing on their phones, they aren't paying attention to what is going on or doing anything about problems.

That said, I do generally feel perfectly safe and have never had a point where I was seriously concerned for my safety.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM

203 posts, read 271,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Fairly common. Per a 2012 article, 14 others in the US (parts of LA + 13 others mentioned in article). I have no idea if LA is entirely turnstiles now or not. I've been on some in Europe that are honor system as well.

Edited to add article: Do Honor Systems on Mass Transit Work Better in Smaller Cities? - CityLab
Billiken, that is really interesting. I had no idea. Although, I'm still for turnstiles.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:21 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
They should spend some money on turnstiles and securing the platforms as well. How many mass transit systems work on the honor system for paying fares?
San Diego is one of the best examples of a system that operates without turn styles. It is very tourist friendly to operate that way and, despite connecting into Tijuana, does not have the security reputation of MetroLink.
(Of course, the amount of security presence on the trains to the border is pretty high.)

Old 03-13-2016, 06:08 PM

203 posts, read 199,229 times
I've taken it a few times - other than a few select passengers smelling like urine, I've never felt intimidated or had a problem.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Metrolink feels safe. I've ridden it almost everyday for the past 2 years. There are some annoying passengers on the red line. Loud music and smell of marijuana. Never smelled urine or anything like. I have noticed a larger police presence over the past 2 weeks eliminating the annoying passengers. Ive also been asked for ticket almost everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: