Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 02:02 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times

Advertisements

just kidding, I don't want to know, but it's the name of a pretty neat exhibit and I thought this story might interest some:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...e65c88527.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:56 PM

383 posts, read 391,819 times
I didn't go to high school here, so I guess I am not accepted. Sure seems that way from my experience. I've moved 9 times and have honestly never experienced such a phenomenon as this "Where did you go to high school?" craze. The importance of this question baffles me, honestly. I have to say, though, if you are a St. Louis native, I guess it is a pretty neat idea for an exhibit. It's just kind of weird from those of us from the outside world.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:00 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
This question has very little to do with high school. It's a social code.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,434 times
In reality, the question can mean different things to different people. For some, it is a sizing you up way to get a quick resume snapshot of who you are and where you are from geographically locally. Whatever preconceived notion that person has asking the question will be applied. There are other examples, such as people in social gatherings that ask it without much thought due to lack of more creativity and those don't have any sinister agenda.

The negative to the question is that it makes St. Louis smaller and smaller, and more and more parochial and provincial because of it. My mindset is Global, National, Regional, local, in that am always hopeful and encouraged that St. Louis will attract more and more diversity in its population, geographically, racially, etc... because that is what I like and want.

My advice to people that feel closed off, is to move on to other people who aren't. Often times that might be individuals and not groups of people. Those individuals exist. I am one of them.

As for the link, it is encouraging kids can make and do something productive, educational, and fun out of the question.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 PM

203 posts, read 199,129 times
Jackie Joyner-Kersee (whom I met, she is an absolute class act, very sweet and down to earth) and former Nuggets forward LaPhonso Ellis attended East St. Louis Lincoln High School, and celebrated successful, classy careers in athletics.

Michael McDonald attended McCleur High School in Florissant and is a succesful and classy blue-eyed soul singer with an amazing voice.

Truthfully, I think the only modern celebrities/athletes that attended HS in the St. Louis area and ended up being jerks are pro bowler Pete Weber (although his dad Dick was pure class, RIP), and I'm not even sure where he went. The other one was former Dolphins MLB Bryan Cox, who attended East St. Louis High, and had the propensity to act like an idiot during his career.

Point: It doesn't matter where you start, it's how you finish that determines the winner in one.

I always respond with "CU, BS Finance Summa *** Laude 96, UNM MS Accounting Summa *** Laude 01." That seems to puzzle them a bit :-).

Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I didn't go to high school here, so I guess I am not accepted. Sure seems that way from my experience. I've moved 9 times and have honestly never experienced such a phenomenon as this "Where did you go to high school?" craze. The importance of this question baffles me, honestly. I have to say, though, if you are a St. Louis native, I guess it is a pretty neat idea for an exhibit. It's just kind of weird from those of us from the outside world.
Seriously, the exhibit and the history of some of the high schools was the point. I thought some might find it interesting. The name of the exhibit is obviously a play on St. Louis: laughing at yourself a bit is positive, no?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
Jackie Joyner-Kersee (whom I met, she is an absolute class act, very sweet and down to earth) and former Nuggets forward LaPhonso Ellis attended East St. Louis Lincoln High School, and celebrated successful, classy careers in athletics.

Michael McDonald attended McCleur High School in Florissant and is a succesful and classy blue-eyed soul singer with an amazing voice.

Truthfully, I think the only modern celebrities/athletes that attended HS in the St. Louis area and ended up being jerks are pro bowler Pete Weber (although his dad Dick was pure class, RIP), and I'm not even sure where he went. The other one was former Dolphins MLB Bryan Cox, who attended East St. Louis High, and had the propensity to act like an idiot during his career.

Point: It doesn't matter where you start, it's how you finish that determines the winner in one.

I always respond with "CU, BS Finance Summa *** Laude 96, UNM MS Accounting Summa *** Laude 01." That seems to puzzle them a bit :-).
Its a stupid thought!

Successfull people don't always go to the best schools. I know of some who graduated from Vashon and other schools that are looked down on who have fantastic lives as adults.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This question has very little to do with high school. It's a social code.
One that they need to stop using. Anyone who wasn't born here thinks poorly on the people using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: