Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:52 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah I do like Cincinnati, but from what everyone is saying about STL in this thread, it sounds like they would be on the same level in these areas.
I'd give St. Louis the edge here actually. And I've been to Cincinnati quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
I'd give St. Louis the edge here actually. And I've been to Cincinnati quite a bit.
Interesting. The information in this thread kind of tells me that St. Louis wouldn't be for me, but a visit would definitely be in order if I was even slightly considering it.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
If you are from a coastal city or area like NY, New England or California, Saint Louis may not be your cup of tea. I had a very hard time getting use to the area.

If you come from an area that embraces mid-american, midwestern or southern culture, you will probably love the place.

The racial division is horrible.
corrupt city governments and services
Horribly miserable in the summer, winters are short and easy to get through (for the most part)
Tailgating is an art form in the region

As other have said, its difficult for transplants to break into well established cliques. And most of my friends were also transplants.

As for crime, its just like any other city: stay away from the known bad areas, keep your guard up, and don't do or wear anything that will make you a target.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
Quote:
Interesting. The information in this thread kind of tells me that St. Louis wouldn't be for me, but a visit would definitely be in order if I was even slightly considering it.
Head to head:
Riverfront: cincy. A prettier river.
Neighborhoods: STL more varied. higher end better. More plentiful quality stock. No OTR, but more affordable overall. This is one area where Cincy is quite strong, but STL really does have it beat pretty soundly IMO.
Arts/entertainment/food: STL comfortably
Parochialism/insularity: pretty similar
Crime: in the urban portions, a bit lower in cin
Topography: Cindy hands down. More scenic vistas
Urbanity: STL.
Institutions/higher Ed: STL
Proxity to other points: depends upon your points of interest, but probably cincy. Chicago about the same as long as you avoid rush he in Indy, but many more short trip opps to other cities. Memphis and KC are the only fairly short drives closer to STL. Indy and Louisville are closer to CIN, Pittsburgh is driveable, Appalachians more interesting to me than Ozarks, the other Cs in Ohio, horse farms/bourbon trail in KY, etc. this is the only one that I really wish STL had among Cincy's advantages. The vistas of Mt Adams would be nice, but the weekend trips are a bigger deal to me.
Sports: depends upon what you like. College hoops and NFL to Cincy. NBA within 2 hrs in Indy. Anything else STL, and I say that as someone who grew up a Reds fan.

If I had to pick between the two, the only thing that would give me pause abt STL over Cincinnati is the fact I grew up in Indy and I have kids who would like to see their grandparents a bit more than we already do. There is a big difference between a drive that on paper is 4 hrs with little ones door to door and one that would only take me 1:45 door to door to see them. I know people who lived in both and they find STL more interesting.

Last edited by Chicago76; 04-18-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Well, people seem to love it or hate it (STL that is), so I would suggest spending some time here if possible.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
And the dangerous parts of StL aren't the "whole city" either. Not even close. Certainly not a patchwork.

Stay south of Delmar. And avoid Dutchtown.

That's it. It's that simple.
Ehh. Not always.

Teenagers accused of attacking Forest Park runner | FOX2now.com

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I am not going to change the subject but this is ridiculous. Where is the father? Grrr.

Now. You dont think this type of crime happens in other cities?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If you are from a coastal city or area like NY, New England or California, Saint Louis may not be your cup of tea. I had a very hard time getting use to the area.

If you come from an area that embraces mid-american, midwestern or southern culture, you will probably love the place.

corrupt city governments and services
Horribly miserable in the summer, winters are short and easy to get through (for the most part)
Tailgating is an art form in the region

As other have said, its difficult for transplants to break into well established cliques. And most of my friends were also transplants.

As for crime, its just like any other city: stay away from the known bad areas, keep your guard up, and don't do or wear anything that will make you a target.
You lived in Lake St. Louis, not St. Louis. You now live in a place with a 1% African American population.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,542 times
St. Louis is not a city without its problems. That being said, I feel like it gets far more rancor than it deserves, and remains a very underrated city. Part of the problem is since Ferguson, it's become fashionable for people outside STL to bash the entire region. I've heard more than my fair share of generalization about the entire area from people who have never even been here. They act as if STL is the only city in the US with race and economic issues.

I also hear this very often from people, "You're from St. Louis? I visited there and I ACTUALLY really liked it."

Old 04-19-2016, 12:38 PM

436 posts, read 521,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Well summarized and I agree. It's been over a decade and I still haven't adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis