Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 03:45 PM

17 posts, read 32,184 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving back to the St. Louis area (originally from there, been away for 9 years). We'd love to build new and are looking at the West County area. There is a development by McBride and Sons that piques our interest and are curious how they are to build with? Do they have a lot of options to choose from as far as their design center goes? Flexible to perhaps out of the ordinary requests (for example I don't like builder grade trim around doors, I would prefer a more Craftsman/custom style, we like zoysia sodded lawns, etc)? How far above their base price do they typically end up? Our price point would be in the mid to high $300's and are willing to go cheap on things we can replace later (such as flooring, lighting, etc) but would like certain things that are more permanent to be to our taste. Any tips you'd give in dealing with them? We will be visiting the development in June, but wanted to go in with some info. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

436 posts, read 516,400 times
A friend started to build with them but dropped out due to terrible customer service from one of their office managers. The office manager wouldn't transfer their contract to another McBride employee to work with them either. I think it got pretty bad at one point. I'll see if I can get in touch to get the exact details. I do know for sure they were already building the house when they dropped out and in fact already sold their current place so it was pretty bad.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,571,449 times
My impression was that they build cheap crap, but that's just from looking at houses built by them in the past, I've never worked with them directly.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:45 PM

381 posts, read 383,169 times
I looked into McBride houses also when moving here two years ago. I heard the same thing as above and more. I wanted a new home out west, I but am so glad I bought a newly renovated one closer in. I love my house (oh, selling it in your price range, by the way). I also highly recommend you avoid Pulte Homes. UGH! We bought a Pulte home 4 years ago (lived in Detroit 2 yrs, here 2, and now moving again for work). Though they have FABULOUS floor plans, the construction is a complete joke - so poorly done. You really have to watch out for new home builders-in any city. I have been researching new homes in our upcoming city and am NOT impressed.

They really don't build them like they used to. Our first home in Brentwood was built in the late 1930's. Our realtor had a friend who was in construction look at it with us before we bought it. He was amazed. He said the place was like a bomb shelter. Loved that house..... Our current home was built in the late 1800's and was completely renovated. I've always (except for Brentwood and my current home) had a new home, but this experience has possibly changed my mind. However, I do see where you are coming from with wanting a new home. I do love everything new and shiny, too (just so happened to get that in my current house, too). Another minus with a new home is the lot size: they are SO small. My house is closer in and on a small lot, but it just seems different. My new house in MI had a big lot, but that is so hard to find!

One more thing: Our realtor in the new city we are moving to said to buy in a subdivision with a variety of builders, not just the same one. All of the houses will be very similar, if not the same (actually my MI neighbors had the exact same EVERYTHING). She said that hurts property values in the long run. Frankly, I see that with some newer existing subdivision, and it is very boring and redundant when you are searching.

Good luck with your choice! Just really beware of that shoddy construction because it will cost you a fortune and tons of frustration in the long run. Trust me, I just went through that with my Pulte home- windows would need replacing in 10 years, roof would need replacing in 10 years, driveway had cracks after 1.5 years. drywall tape coming down, furnace problems because they put the smallest unit they could get into the house, and on and on........and on...... Find a good realtor regardless of what you choose to do-not just any realtor, a REALLY good one! Best of luck!

Last edited by gypsyjudy; 05-16-2016 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I looked into McBride houses also when moving here two years ago. I heard the same thing as above and more. I wanted a new home out west, I but am so glad I bought a newly renovated one closer in. I love my house (oh, selling it in your price range, by the way).
Thanks so much for your input! Very good advice. I honestly haven't heard many good things about any builder. We are open to doing a renovation ourselves on an older home, like you mentioned. Ballwin/Chesterfield have really nice older homes with larger lots too that would have potential What city is the house you are selling in, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
A friend started to build with them but dropped out due to terrible customer service from one of their office managers. The office manager wouldn't transfer their contract to another McBride employee to work with them either. I think it got pretty bad at one point. I'll see if I can get in touch to get the exact details. I do know for sure they were already building the house when they dropped out and in fact already sold their current place so it was pretty bad.
That is sad for them What an awful experience. I hope they have found a new place though!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Perhaps a new part of the question should be - any good builders we should check out?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

381 posts, read 383,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoleman View Post
Thanks so much for your input! Very good advice. I honestly haven't heard many good things about any builder. We are open to doing a renovation ourselves on an older home, like you mentioned. Ballwin/Chesterfield have really nice older homes with larger lots too that would have potential What city is the house you are selling in, if you don't mind me asking?
I am in Maplewood. Great area to be convenient to everything. I thought I was a dedicated suburbanite, but I think I proved myself wrong! Never say never, right? After the VERY long commute in Detroit and Madison (WI), we decided it would be better to be closer to my husband's job. That proved to be a great decision. Also, I did not want to live out in the suburbs in St. Louis because I wanted to actually feel like I WAS in St. Louis. I never wanted that with the other 7 cities I have lived in. All of the activities are inside I270 - or closer, so I wanted to be convenient to everything (plus we homeschool our 3 kids and wanted to have access to all of the museums, etc.). I LOVE my house, so it is too bad we are moving on. (Fortunately there is no imposed deadline, so we are not under the gun to just get the house sold). The character of the house was maintained with the rehab, and I am in love with this house. We actually thought about having the plans drawn and building it again! Maplewood has been great, also. I actually never came here when living here before, but it has an incredible "strip" with great shops and incredible restaurants. When you move back make sure to come here for dinner or shopping (Kakao!!). I heard it used to be less desirable, but people are moving in, renovating and building up the area. I just love it, and it's great to see an area being totally revitalized!

RE: builders. There are some good ones out there. Fischer and Fritchel (spelling?) are supposedly great, but they are so pricey and only seem to do upper end houses, though that was not always the case. Some smaller builders might be a better bet. Our builder in Madison, WI was a very small builder, and the house was just SUPER. There are some good builders, but most just slap them up on the tiny postage stamp lots and move on. They have EARNED their reputations!

Honestly, we had a hard time 2 years ago. This house was Providential. I really wanted a new house (yes, even after the Pulte nightmare) because I like things NEW and CLEAN (major germaphobe and OCD). A realtor told us about this house having just been renovated, so it was an off-market sale. For once I got the best of both worlds!

Anyway, best of luck in finding a new home. I think you'll be thrilled to be back here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis