Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM

383 posts, read 392,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Yeah...odd that this "house in a nice area" is still on the market despite being in a major seller's market.
Not sure how you found this out. I feel as if I am being stalked by some weirdo. Regardless, we priced the house too high, thanks to our realtor and have had to do most of the work ourselves. All she has done is put in the house the MLS. Now we have to chase the market,which is not good. We do have some obstacles to overcome. I challenge you to find a nicer and better kept home, however. All realtors have been surprised it has not sold, as we are interviewing others. We are taking off of the market, as we do not have to sell now. Maybe see that there are numerous houses on the market nearby that have been on the market for a while.

Just down the street is a house getting ready to go on the market for almost $500K. Some properties have specific challenges, which ours does and needs a specific buyer, which ours does. So, there it is.....

Not sure why I feel I have to tell this to you.........

And regarding these $100,000 houses. I'm not sure how you get a family in one of these, as most are 2 bedrooms-at least with any sort of standard of living.

This 100K house debate is ridiculous, anyway because there are so many mitigating factors such as your family size, your income level, your standards, what location you desire, etc. It's all relative and subjective - as is whether one likes St. Louis or not.

My experience with crime is not just the news, by the way. It is also from person experiences and talking with others. I'm not sure who could ever trust any news source nowadays.

People come here, I think, with asking honest opinions about certain issues, as the original OP. This has gotten way off topic as far as his question.

By the way, God does have a plan for us all, so he may need my family here for a reason. I try not to question it. His will is different than my desires (though hard to accept at times). It,s a great way to have peace in your life (working on that). I hope you all find the same.

You all don't know me, and I don't know you. Regardless of the hostility this seems to have caused, all my best.

And to the OP: Good luck with your decision, as I am sure you make the best decision for your family. Sorry this got so off topic.

Last edited by gypsyjudy; 06-02-2016 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Then why have forums? People can just look at government stats to formulate their own decisions on whether they want to move somewhere or city A is better than city B.

The experiences you have about something are relative to you.

A $100,000 house in Dogtown might be right up someone's alley but doesn't mean it fits everyone. It's that person's opinion.

Not sure why this thread got defensive because someone posted their experiences about living in both Houston and St. Louis, the exact topic of the thread.
The thread got defensive because someone started asserting that St. Louis is an especially dangerous metro, which is a false statement that forms a large part of St. Louis' reputation. We need to fight that malicious falsehood at every turn because otherwise it becomes part of the common knowledge, and everyone "just knows" that St. Louis is super-dangerous even if it's blatantly, factually incorrect. People should share their experiences, not generalize their experiences to an entire region. Or if they do, don't act hurt because people disagree with them and support those agreements with actual evidence.

Sometimes I wonder why these forums exist, but it's definitely not useful for city vs. city slapfights.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Hi Buckaroo.
I live in SL and also used to live in Houston (Westheimer and Eldridge area - years ago, though). You have a great area in Houston! Personally, I would advise you to stay where you are. I have lived in several cities and SL is my least favorite for so many reasons. Actually, this is my 3rd time here (husband's job), and I dislike it more than ever. It could be a great town, but it just keeps going backwards.

I agree with locations most posters recommend, if you decide to come. CWE is a great area (we go to the Cathedral Basilica there), but it is not very safe. Beautiful old homes and buildings, but I would look Ladue, Clayton or a little further west.

I think Houston offers so much more than St. Louis does, so I think it would be a hard adjustment. I love the arts and theatre, but this is primarily a sports town (good luck not getting shot if you do go to a game downtown). I found people in Houston to be so welcoming and friendly. I don't find that here, as do most transplants. Private schools are the rule (I homeschool), but they are primarily Catholic, though in name only. It is very small town to be so large, but not in a good way- very exclusionary and provencial.

I'm sure I will get all kinds of grief for my opinion, but thankfully we still have freedom of speech- for now.

Regardless of what you choose, best of luck!

Primarily a sports town...

With one of the oldest and best symphony orchestra's in the US.

With one of the best botanical gardens in the world.

With outstanding art museums...The SLAM, The Contemporary Art Museum of St. Louis, The Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, and more

With outstanding theatre venues...from the Fox Theatre to the Muny to the Rep and the Sheldon and more. Dance St. Louis, the Opera Theatre of St. Louis, etc.

And if you go to a Cardinals game or a Blues game...good luck not having fun

There are quite a few excellent public school districts here. And quite a few NON religious Independent private schools (my children go to one of them). And a lot of Catholic schools too.

Oh, and actually Maplewood is a very nice area, but it hasn't always been. You moved into a changing area (for the better....but wait....we don't do improving here!)...so expect it to represent that...good and bad.

Anyway. Best of luck selling and finding your happy place. Everyone should be happy.

Last edited by STL74; 06-02-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times
Quote:
Not sure how you found this out. I feel as if I am being stalked by some weirdo. Regardless, we priced the house too high, thanks to our realtor and have had to do most of the work ourselves. All she has done is put in the house the MLS. Now we have to chase the market,which is not good. We do have some obstacles to overcome. I challenge you to find a nicer and better kept home, however. All realtors have been surprised it has not sold, as we are interviewing others. We are taking off of the market, as we do not have to sell now. Maybe see that there are numerous houses on the market nearby that have been on the market for a while.

Just down the street is a house getting ready to go on the market for almost $500K. Some properties have specific challenges, which ours does and needs a specific buyer, which ours does. So, there it is.....

Not sure why I feel I have to tell this to you.........

And regarding these $100,000 houses. I'm not sure how you get a family in one of these, as most are 2 bedrooms-at least with any sort of standard of living.

This 100K house debate is ridiculous, anyway because there are so many mitigating factors such as your family size, your income level, your standards, what location you desire, etc. It's all relative and subjective - as is whether one likes St. Louis or not.

My experience with crime is not just the news, by the way. It is also from person experiences and talking with others. I'm not sure who could ever trust any news source nowadays.

People come here, I think, with asking honest opinions about certain issues, as the original OP. This has gotten way off topic as far as his question.

By the way, God does have a plan for us all, so he may need my family here for a reason. I try not to question it. His will is different than my desires (though hard to accept at times). It,s a great way to have peace in your life (working on that). I hope you all find the same.

You all don't know me, and I don't know you. Regardless of the hostility this seems to have caused, all my best.

And to the OP: Good luck with your decision, as I am sure you make the best decision for your family. Sorry this got so off topic.
No one is stalking you, but the fact you jumped straight to that conclusion gives a great frame of reference for how paranoid you must be. I'm just familiar with your post in this forum on the trials and tribulations of selling your house. Literally every post from you is laced with complete generalizations and hyperbole about St. Louis. "Good luck not getting shot" if you go downtown for a sporting event!? That's LUDICROUS. If you seriously can't see why the constant piling-on of STL would turn others off, then I can't help you.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post

Primarily a sports town...

With one of the oldest and best symphony orchestra's in the US.

With one of the best botanical gardens in the world.

With outstanding art museums...The SLAM, The Contemporary Art Museum of St. Louis, The Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, and more

With outstanding theatre venues...from the Fox Theatre to the Muny to the Rep and the Sheldon and more. Dance St. Louis, the Opera Theatre of St. Louis, etc.

And if you go to a Cardinals game or a Blues game...good luck not having fun

There are quite a few excellent public school districts here. And quite a few NON religious Independent private schools (my children go to one of them). And a lot of Catholic schools too.

Oh, and actually Maplewood is a very nice area, but it hasn't always been. You moved into a changing area (for the better....but wait....we don't do improving here!)...so expect it to represent that...good and bad.

Anyway. Best of luck selling and finding your happy place. Everyone should be happy.
Don't forget the healthcare either. For a metro of 2.8m people, its hard to find a city with better healthcare.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 AM

203 posts, read 271,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
Hi all! Just received a job offer in St. Louis that I am seriously considering. Am making a trip up in a few weeks, and want to seriously look at houses, etc... while I am there, but I don't know where to begin.

Was hoping that any of you familiar with Houston could help. We live in West U and have a 10-15 minute commute to work. Two kids, both in private school and probably would like to continue them in the same in STL. Potential job is in CWE. Budget for a house is $1M to $1.5M. What we like about where we live now - close to many of Houston's cultural sites, restaurants, schools and work. What we don't like about it - small lots!

Would very much appreciate any pointers as to where to start looking.

Thanks in advance!
If you want to be as close to work as you are now then you will want to look in Clayton and Ladue and the western part of Richmond Heights (the eastern part will not have the type of house you're looking for based on inferences I'm making from your budget). You'll see small lots in Clayton but at your price point you can probably get a decent-sized lot. I would specifically look in the Clayton neighborhood of Claverach Park if lot size is important.

Further west is Ladue where lot sizes will be larger.

If you are willing to make a bit longer commute (like 20 mins), then look at Frontenac and Town and Country. You'll find the biggest lots in the central corridor in those areas.

All of the above are considered very desirable places to live. I'm getting a vibe that Clayton might be the place, though, based on the cultural sites and restaurants comment.

P.S. There is also University City to consider (just north of Clayton), specifically University Hills. The big problem there is that the city government is a mess and taxes are quite high for having such a lackluster school system (although I hear some of the elementary schools are good) which, even if you won't be sending your kids there, will impact your home's value. So it's hard to recommend when your budget should give you many other options.

Last edited by Hector2; 06-03-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 AM

203 posts, read 271,402 times
Quote:
Not sure how you found this out. I feel as if I am being stalked by some weirdo.
You have written about this in another thread at great length and detail.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Most of those places aren't in St. Louis and you kind of misjudged what the lady's target area is.
You are correct that most listed aren't in the City, but large swaths of the City easily satisfy my claim, so that's a moot point. And furthermore, my response was clearly directed at Judy and not the "lady" who is thread author.

Quote:
I would LOVE to see some pictures of a descent house in a safe are in SL for $100,000! I am sure it is a real gem.
See below...

Quote:

I cut most of your paragraph, as your responses are getting incredibly long. Perhaps telling, but I digress.

Anyhow, I made no mention of house characteristics, only the adjective "safe." Do not assume I meant that you could satisfy your personal housing demands for 100k. I grew up in a two bedroom house in a three-sibling family, in a working-class neighborhood. It wasn't bad then, and it's not bad now. It's still very common.

I stand by my point: it is incredibly easy to find a 100k house in a safe area in StL. Your personal housing preferences are irrelevant to my claim.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:54 PM

90 posts, read 161,888 times
Thanks for all the information! Looks like Clayton, CWE are the areas I should concentrate on. Crazy as it seems, housing is a little cheaper in STL than in West U. Appreciate all the help.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
Hi all! Just received a job offer in St. Louis that I am seriously considering. Am making a trip up in a few weeks, and want to seriously look at houses, etc... while I am there, but I don't know where to begin.

Was hoping that any of you familiar with Houston could help. We live in West U and have a 10-15 minute commute to work. Two kids, both in private school and probably would like to continue them in the same in STL. Potential job is in CWE. Budget for a house is $1M to $1.5M. What we like about where we live now - close to many of Houston's cultural sites, restaurants, schools and work. What we don't like about it - small lots!

Would very much appreciate any pointers as to where to start looking.

Thanks in advance!
Don't do it. You'll miss the friendliness of Texas as well as a robust and stable economy.
St. Louis is a dying, regressive rust belt city populated by some of the laziest, most indifferent people in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis