Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,699,618 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to St. Louis but of course, it is all speculative right now. Still, I am wondering if our criteria is possible:
*a good public elementary
*low crime rate
*nice shopping/restaurant areas
*activities for kids 3-6 to do
*would love a master planned community w/gym, pool, parent get togethers, etc.--are those offered anywhere up there?
*Our house budget is under $250k-hubby will be traveling plenty so I don't need a fixer upper I may have issues with when he is gone; new home or no more than 5 yrs old.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM

275 posts, read 1,121,921 times
Check out Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area. Great family community - read all my posts for more info!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,769,565 times
There are a lot of great suburbs in the St. Louis area, I just can't tell you anything about the schools (I really don't know anything about them).

Ballwin/Wildwood's a nice area, but it may be a bit more pricey.

The Illinois side is nice as well. I read recently that Edwardsville has seen a 12% population increase since 2000. Illinois side does tend to have higher taxes, but houses are typically cheaper.

And it sounds from your question that you're a little nervous about St. Louis. Don't be. It's a wonderful city.

I'd suggest typing your specifics into stltoday.com or coldwell-Banker and then pick a place, ask about potential suburbs here or check roughly how far from the city they are on Google, so you can elminate the suburbs that are too far.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,506,653 times
Look at outer ring suburbs if you want newer construction in that price range. Places in St. Charles county as well as areas like the Illinois side as Cellerbelle suggested as well as Fenton and areas surrounding it.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 AM

238 posts, read 328,855 times
There are a lot of different places in St. Louis that could meet your criteria. Any idea where your husband is going to be working?

As aragx6 says, newer construction in your price range is probably going to be a bit further out, but there are still a lot of different choices there....feel free to drop me a line with more specifics...if you know them...and I'll see what I can find for you..

Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM

60 posts, read 373,973 times
If you want a newer house $250,000 or below look into the Jefferson County area! When my Husband and I were looking for a house just a few months ago we found some Beautiful Houses under contruction in Jefferson County! High Ridge-House Springs area! You will find a LOT in Jefferson County for Under $250,000 and its just outside of St Louis! Best of Luck to you in finding your home!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,699,618 times
Just to let everyone who has responded know, this economy has had its toll on my hubby's company. They have put a lot of expenses including relocations on hold so we may not be able to move after all. Still, I will keep this information should we need it in the near future. Thanks to all of you!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,506,653 times
Thanks for the update. I am sorry you might not be moving, but I definitely understand what you mean about the economy! If anything changes keep us updated and best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis