Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 02:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times

Advertisements

What is Maplewood like as a place to live? Do they have any nice apartments and is there good bus transportation? How about the necessary stores? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 03:24 PM

383 posts, read 391,991 times
It's really a great place. We moved to Maplewood 2 years ago and really enjoy it a lot. EVERYTHING you need is within walking distance, including transportation (Metrolink, buses, etc.). We could easily go without a car. We have two and rarely use either! Not really sure about the apartments since we have a house, but I know the ones around us are being renovated. I've been told that they are renovating a lot of them in the area and increasing the rent a lot to appeal to professionals who work in Clayton and downtown, but there are still reasonable options available - for now. Like most of the urban areas, though, there is a mix of people and housing options. It's a very diverse area, which is what makes it so great. It's also safe, by St. Louis standards (Don't get me started on St. Louis crime. I'm not from here and am astounded by it). Of the 8 or so cities I have lived in, I find Maplewood to have the best police force around. They are always out and about patrolling. Very nice officers, also. I know housing goes very quickly and it is very sought after. (We had our house on the market but took it off for various reasons, mostly being we were not committed fully to selling now).

I hope this helps. Any other questions and I will be glad to answer, if I can.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM

I don't know what happened but my post didn't get posted. I kept getting a strange message about leaving and not saving. Try again.

Thank you for the reply. Maplewood sounds great. I know what you mean about renovations and upgrading for business clientele. They are doing that here. Many move in and then move out complaining that the rents are too high. What they don't realize is that they pay extra for all the amenities: swimming pools, tennis courts, play grounds, doggie runs, microwaves, etc. It all costs. For those of us who just want a nice apartment, it isn't necessary. I'll look into the availability of apartments. Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:33 PM

There is pretty much something for everyone here, so I am sure you will find something to your liking. If you want high luxury, you won't find it here, though. Most people come to the area for the conveniences, location, and the vibe of the area. Like I said, it has everything you could possibly need within walking distance (we're right across from Schlafly's Farmer's Market), and it is great. The restaurants are great, the street festivals are very family friendly, churches galore, supermarket, salons - you name it (oh, and Kakao Chocolatier!)! I hope you find something!

Old 07-03-2016, 04:21 AM

No thanks - can't afford "high luxury". Simple and convenient is for me. Trouble with where I am now is that, other than one drug store, nothing is handy. Not even bus service. We had a lovely family-owned grocery but it closed.

Thanks again. Enjoy your holiday.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Maplewood is great. I don't live there, but I live walking distance to the heart of it. Great transit options since there's both bus and light rail service, very convenient to pretty much everything you'd need. I've had several friends live there without a car and commute all over the place via public transit.

Pretty much everything you need is in the heart of downtown Maplewood. Grocery store with pharmacy, lots of restaurants and specialty shops, lots of community events throughout the year. Maplewood residents also have access to the Heights (rec center) at resident rates...its a nice facility. They also have a great outdoor pool for the summertime.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM

I am definitely going to have to investigate. I know they have an office supply store which is what started this query. I wanted to know what the whole town is like. Might want to move there. I already have plans to visit that store - privately owned usually means great service.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 PM

I'm pretty sure Billiken is a native, so I feel somewhat validated! He's right with all he said, imo. I'm not a native, so you never know what the real perception of an area is from those who are from here. Good to have a local chime in......Most of the shops/restaurants on the main strip (i.e. Manchester) are locally owned and do provide great services. The only one I can think of that is local is Penzey's. However, I have been in there several times, and they also have great service (They are out of WI).

Here is what you can expect, just to expound on Billiken's comments:
Salons - wide range of prices and options
Very cool new shaving place-not sure about barber shops anymore, though.
Grocery w/pharmacy
Jewelry store
Tons of ethnic or American type restaurants- variety of price ranges
Post Office
Churches-many denominations. I have 3 within a block of my house.
Accupuncture
Yoga
Saratoga Lanes/Orbitz - very cool
Architectural firms
Art galleries
Pie O My
Tea shop
Kakao Chocolate
Strange Donuts
Foundation Grounds - great coffee shop w/pasteries, lunch items, etc.
Dobbs Tire and Auto - but you don't need a car
Clothing stores
Yes, the office supply store
Metrolink
Pool - very fun and affordable
Great public library
The best police and fire - super nice and professional
Butcher shop
Karate classes
Sewing school (well at least this place offers sewing, so I assume that's what they are)
Psychologists/Doctors - not sure about dentists
Physical Therapy
Schlafly's and their Farmer's Market
Banks and other types of businesses
CVS
Schools

Sorry, but I could go on and on. I'm sure I forgot a lot. From my house behind Schlafly's, I could walk to all of these places. I admit I am not a big St. Louis fan, but I do enjoy Maplewood and its conveniences to everything in St. Louis. Being able to walk everywhere is great - and economical. We're going to be relocating within the next year for my husband's job (thought it would be sooner), and I have to say, I will miss my house (118 years old) and the area's conveniences. It's very urban, which I am NOT used to and probably won't choose again. I actually would not have chosen urban, but, after living in SL 3 times, I wanted to feel like I am in St. Louis rather than any city in the US (I find SL suburbs very boring - and I am a very boring person). After living here so many times I cannot recommend the area enough.

By the way, a realtor told me that 60% of Maplewood is rentals. Sounds high, but I wouldn't doubt it for an urban area. If you look hard enough you might even find some neat houses for rent. One more note: Maplewood is one sq. mile, so everything is right here. I won't bore you anymore with my assessment of Maplewood! Best of luck!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I'm pretty sure Billiken is a native, so I feel somewhat validated! He's right with all he said, imo. I'm not a native, so you never know what the real perception of an area is from those who are from here. Good to have a local chime in......Most of the shops/restaurants on the main strip (i.e. Manchester) are locally owned and do provide great services. The only one I can think of that is local is Penzey's. However, I have been in there several times, and they also have great service (They are out of WI).

Here is what you can expect, just to expound on Billiken's comments:
Salons - wide range of prices and options
Very cool new shaving place-not sure about barber shops anymore, though.
Grocery w/pharmacy
Jewelry store
Tons of ethnic or American type restaurants- variety of price ranges
Post Office
Churches-many denominations. I have 3 within a block of my house.
Accupuncture
Yoga
Saratoga Lanes/Orbitz - very cool
Architectural firms
Art galleries
Pie O My
Tea shop
Kakao Chocolate
Strange Donuts
Foundation Grounds - great coffee shop w/pasteries, lunch items, etc.
Dobbs Tire and Auto - but you don't need a car
Clothing stores
Yes, the office supply store
Metrolink
Pool - very fun and affordable
Great public library
The best police and fire - super nice and professional
Butcher shop
Karate classes
Sewing school (well at least this place offers sewing, so I assume that's what they are)
Psychologists/Doctors - not sure about dentists
Physical Therapy
Schlafly's and their Farmer's Market
Banks and other types of businesses
CVS
Schools

Sorry, but I could go on and on. I'm sure I forgot a lot. From my house behind Schlafly's, I could walk to all of these places. I admit I am not a big St. Louis fan, but I do enjoy Maplewood and its conveniences to everything in St. Louis. Being able to walk everywhere is great - and economical. We're going to be relocating within the next year for my husband's job (thought it would be sooner), and I have to say, I will miss my house (118 years old) and the area's conveniences. It's very urban, which I am NOT used to and probably won't choose again. I actually would not have chosen urban, but, after living in SL 3 times, I wanted to feel like I am in St. Louis rather than any city in the US (I find SL suburbs very boring - and I am a very boring person). After living here so many times I cannot recommend the area enough.

By the way, a realtor told me that 60% of Maplewood is rentals. Sounds high, but I wouldn't doubt it for an urban area. If you look hard enough you might even find some neat houses for rent. One more note: Maplewood is one sq. mile, so everything is right here. I won't bore you anymore with my assessment of Maplewood! Best of luck!
You are not boring at all. I am enjoying this and look forward to a visit up there. Some nice cool but not cold day? Same thing I've always wanted to do at Kirkwood's shopping strip but never seem to hit it at the right time. We all live on these some days, don't we?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I'm pretty sure Billiken is a native, so I feel somewhat validated! He's right with all he said, imo. I'm not a native, so you never know what the real perception of an area is from those who are from here. Good to have a local chime in.....
Hehe, I am not a native, just a gal (not a he, sorry, the billiken thing references the university and not the all boys HS) who has moved to STL...and then left...and then moved back again. I've been here around 9 years in total though. I think there are still plenty of natives that have the "Maple-hood" perception but I don't think it is accurate at all. But this is coming from a city resident, soooo

Add to the list:
Locally owned (I think?) hardware store
The beer! Side Project is in Maplewood in addition to Schlafly as already mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis