Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Whenever you are the first one to arrive at a red light always honk your horn in case the ones behind you aren't paying attention.
I was rear-ended here in St. Louis last month by a lady who didn't realize that you don't just barge through a light. So, maybe you have an idea there.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I watch a lot of dash cam videos on Youtube* and that helps me accept St. Louis traffic. But I still try to get away from cars with no drivers, i.e., the ones where the only occupant in the car is busy on their cell phone. Add the Pokeholers, and things just get worse.

*Former auto claims handler here.
That's true. We live on a fairly busy street in an inner ring suburb (not a subdivision) near the local high school, so we routinely see high school kids flying down the street with their heads down into the phones. Of course, it's not limited to them, but they are the ones we see most often.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
That's true. We live on a fairly busy street in an inner ring suburb (not a subdivision) near the local high school, so we routinely see high school kids flying down the street with their heads down into the phones. Of course, it's not limited to them, but they are the ones we see most often.
I've videos of people, including kids, who try to claim that chasing Pokemons is a valid excuse for speeding or causing an accident. It's awesome to watch.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 AM

54 posts, read 81,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I also hate O'fallon and avoid it when I can, so maybe that's why I don't see this stuff as much. O'fallon is where people who hate other people go to live.
O'Fallon is a great city. Not perfect, but it has regularly appeared in "Best Places in America to Live" lists and for good reason. It may not be as friendly as the "true South" but it's a nice place to live with generally kind people.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 AM

54 posts, read 81,241 times
Quote:
It's more that they have a very specific idea of the community they're willing to tolerate, i.e. people who can afford homes like theirs. That's why so many of these subdivisions form HOAs with anti-rental covenants, fight tooth and nail against nearby rental properties, etc. They want to maintain isolation from anyone who isn't the Right Kind of People.
I strongly disagree. It's not a desire to keep a "certain type of person out" (guessing you mean race and/or socioeconomic level). It's to maintain standards of the neighborhood. In general, people who rent tend not to care for their yards as well as people who own their own homes. In general. I think that's the issue, nothing more, nothing less. Of course some small minority of residents may indeed have issues with people they feel don't "blend in," but you will find that in every neighborhood among every socioeconomic status.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2323 View Post
I strongly disagree. It's not a desire to keep a "certain type of person out" (guessing you mean race and/or socioeconomic level). It's to maintain standards of the neighborhood. In general, people who rent tend not to care for their yards as well as people who own their own homes. In general. I think that's the issue, nothing more, nothing less. Of course some small minority of residents may indeed have issues with people they feel don't "blend in," but you will find that in every neighborhood among every socioeconomic status.
Maintaining a high standard for yard care and upkeep is itself a manifestation of class privilege, so I don't really see the distinction.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Maintaining a high standard for yard care and upkeep is itself a manifestation of class privilege, so I don't really see the distinction.
I'd venture to say virtually all people prefer to live around people who share their standards and values - probably even you.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'd venture to say virtually all people prefer to live around people who share their standards and values - probably even you.
Nah, I like to meet different kinds of people.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,348 times
Quote:
Nah, I like to meet different kinds of people.
Except the ones that don't share your exact mindset or live in your type of neighborhood apparently.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Except the ones that don't share your exact mindset or live in your type of neighborhood apparently.
I don't drive out to O'fallon and walk around random subdivisions striking up conversations with strangers, if that's what you mean. But there are plenty of jerks around here I enjoy talking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis