U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 22,259 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking at a possible move to St. Louis this summer and my husbands job would be located in Chesterfield. I have been reading the threads and fell in love with the pictures of Webster Groves town and Kirkwood. I have never been to St. Louis so I am unsure of where to begin. I enjoy living in a "town" that is family oriented, more established with trees and has a lot of convenience regarding location to kids activities, schools, stores, parks, museums, restaurants, etc. We have kids age 3 and 5 and are looking at homes in the price range of $500 - $650.

I haven't heard much about Chesterfield except that they have good schools and newer construction. Can you tell me more about what it is like to live there and would it meet my needs. Also do they have a Rec Center? How would you say it compares with Webster Groves and Kirkwood? Which one do you recommend for schools - we are looking at public schools?

I am trying to decide if it would be worth while to stay in Chesterfield and not have a commute for my husband but am not willing to sacrafice the convenience and town. We have moved before to the far suburbs for the bigger house over the smaller house with the stronger community/conveniences and regreted it and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Please help me. Also how far away is Webster Groves and Kirkwood from Chesterfield? And if you have any other suggestions of areas to look I would love the information.

Thanks -
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,142,763 times
Chesterfield is lovely and the schools are great, but it does sound to me like Kirkwood or Webster Groves would be a better match for you. Chesterfield lacks a center, and homes are more spread out.

Depending on where he works in Chesterfield, he'll only have a 20-30 minute commute anyway.

For 500-650k you can great a great house in either Kirkwood or Webster Groves (or just about anywhere in West County including Chesterfield), so if you loved Kirkwood/WG (and I can't blame you!) I can't see any reason not to move there!

I hope that helps!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,406,470 times
I think they're all nice areas, although I think I'd prefer Webster Groves since I'd like to be closer to the city.

$500k-$600k will get you a nice house in the St. Louis area.

I searched on STLToday for homes in Chesterfield, Webster Groves, and Kirkwood between $200k and $600k that were 3 BR (I assume you want 3 BR) and it couldn't find anything more expensive than $500k. So, affording a house should be no problem.

Here's a Cute home in Webster Groves, 3 BR, 2 BA for $289k. I know it's way below your price range. I hope that's okay.
STLtoday - For Sale (http://realestate.stltoday.com/RealEstate/Sales/Listing.asp?lid=129-80007996 - broken link)
I don't know anything about Avery Elementary, though.

Actually, I like this one a little better: STLtoday - For Sale (http://realestate.stltoday.com/RealEstate/Sales/Listing.asp?lid=197-80002921 - broken link)
Avery Elementary Again

This one's nice, too, but almost $500k STLtoday - For Sale (http://realestate.stltoday.com/RealEstate/Sales/Listing.asp?lid=137-754796 - broken link)
Chesterfield

Anyway, you can try STLToday, Home Buying Information | Coldwell Banker

Here's a nice one, $439k, 4 BR, Webster Groves, nice Colonial-looking home.
Property details

Good luck and welcome to St. Louis!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM

386 posts, read 1,591,355 times
I live in Chesterfield and if you can afford it--and it looks like you can--do it. It's a beautiful community, fantastic schools, and plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Kirkwood and Webster Groves are both pretty nice....they're a lot older and closer to the city. Chesterfield is newer and more suburban in the 21st Century american sense of the word. And if you're hubby is working there...why not live there?

You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM

238 posts, read 269,162 times
Kind of hard to add to the comments above. Webster and Kirkwood definately have more of a "small town" feel to them and you would be doing a reverse commute...going against traffic for the most part.

An area that you might want to consider because it is actually more of a rural setting, but still within about a 30 minute commute to Chesterfield would be out near New Melle or Augusta...it's part of what they are calling the Missouri Wine Country. Just an idea.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,322 times
Try Kirkwood--a real town feeling, lots of trees, great downtown and Amtrak, too.

Check out the nice condos on East Clinton Place in Kirkwood.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,281,200 times
All would be good. All are technically suburbs, so I would personally stay in Chesterfield if I worked there. However, WG and Kirkwood both have a more defined, walkable center ... even though neither is that big.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
Annacart04, are you still searching neighborhoods in Kirkwood, Webster and Chesterfield?

My husband and I grew up in Kirkwood and raised our family here, and we love it. I worked in Webster for many years, and he worked in Chesterfield. We are now preparing to move out-of-state for work reasons. I can tell you just about anything you need to know about these areas, but won't take the time if you are already set. Send me your e-mail address if you want to discuss in detail; I'd be glad to help, especially now that I realize how daunting it can be to move to an area you don't know well.

I hope the changes are going smoothly for you and your family!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM

76 posts, read 277,122 times
I like all those areas. I grew up in Chesterfield and have lived in Kirkwood. My brother lives in Webster and my mom near there. Chesterfield is more of an upscale generic suburb with pretty big box houses. They have a nice mall, good generic shopping centers, many chain restaraunts and big suburban school districts that are well ranked. It is the land of SUV's and mega churches. I may sound like I'm criticizing but I actually live on the outskirts and love my neighborhood and friends and my children's schools.

I live here because I needed a larger home (4 bedrooms) and they are definately more affordable out here than closer in. I also think the school districts in the area are excellent. However, if I had your price range, I would pick Kirkwood or especially Webster any day of the week just because I like the character, charm and small town vibe better.

Many people disagree with me though. It just depends on what you really want.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

147 posts, read 348,635 times
Chesterfield lacks charm, character, personality. Go with Webster or Kirkwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis