Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 PM

159 posts, read 203,409 times

Advertisements

Exactly how bad are the ticks around STL? I'll add in mosquitos (since we hear much talk of them) and chiggers too. We have some undeveloped camping property out at Lake of the Ozarks and that's the only place we've ever experienced ticks or chiggers - but it's pretty much impossible to go walking around for any length of time in the woods without pulling ticks off later. And we'd never even heard of chiggers til the full joy of experiencing that insect was apparent to us.

So as we're narrowing down places to move to, STL is high on our list, and these bugs are one of our top 3 concerns there. I've heard ticks mentioned on this forum, and while I realize they can't possibly be as bad as the Ozarks, I can't seem to find any threads addressing how prolific they actually are. So that's my question. Exactly how often do you find a tick on you? Do parks in the city have them, or is it only if you were to go on a hiking trail somewhere? Are they even in the middle of the city? Are they only in the suburbs? What about chiggers? When is the worst time of year for both?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
exactly how bad are the ticks around stl?

Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,572,239 times
But seriously, I've never had a tick or chigger encounter, and I've lived in StL most of my life. Granted, I'm not particularly outdoorsy, but I think it's safe to say you aren't going to come back from an urban bike trail covered in ticks. If you're out in the woods, camping or hiking, then you'll want to be mindful of them.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:38 PM

59 posts, read 79,858 times
I live in the city and spend lots of time in Forest Park and I've never had a problem with either ticks or chiggers, even when hiking through the wild parts. There are a few mosquitoes, but not many.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
I've had a tick on me once, and that was last spring while hiking in Lone Elk Park. But I think anywhere that has a large deer population will have ticks, so not really a region specific issue.

I've gotten chigger bites twice. Once was, again, last spring at Lone Elk Park and the other time was about 5 years ago in Forest Park. I go to Forest Park all the time, so since I've only had issues with chiggers that one time, I wouldn't say its anything that you need to worry about.

I am constantly being bit my mosquitoes, but most people I know don't have an issue with them. It doesn't matter how much bug spray I use, they seem to always find a way to get to me. I guess I have really great blood or something.

And if you ever experience the "joys" of chiggers again (or for mosquitoes), I highly recommend getting the bite & sting relief spray from Walgreen's. Its in a green can. The first time I had chiggers, I bought the chigger x cream, and it worked okay. The second time I got them, it was not helping at all, so I tried every possible cream and spray out there. This stuff was amazing, and worked almost instantly.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,851 times
All are more common in less populated areas.

When we lived in Wildwood (by a state park) we had tick issues. We used Mosquito Squad and it took care of the issue. We never had mosquitos before we sprayed. I'm admittedly paranoid about ticks. I haven't seen any now that we live closer in, but we have deer so I'm sure they are there.

My family is in Creve Coeur and they have a lot of mosquitos but ticks have not been an issue.

I think chiggers are mostly an issue in longer grass. I'm nowhere near expert, but we've not had any issues with that.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,054,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesBeach4Life View Post
Better than gangstas and thugs and felons, oh my!
Oh Carlos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis