Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You two are so focused on the negative things about St. Louis...if you hate it that much why not just leave?Moderator cut: mod cut The crime is pretty much isolated to North City. If you don't venture into the dangerous areas, crime won't happen to you.
You are doing a disservice to your cause here. The argument that violent crime is isolated to North City is about 20 years old. I won't even bother to google the stuff going on in Dutchtown, roving gangs in Gravois Park, the "knock out game" that was going on in those areas plus Tower Grove South about which they've stopped reporting but I seriously doubt it's not happening, to roving gun battles downtown (yes we've had several in the last couple of years). Knockout games downtown (the young lawyer beaten senseless near Washingon), the young mother car jacked and killed on Washington avenue with her baby dropped off later. You can't seriously claim this is only in North St. Louis anymore. This isn't your grand parent's St. Louis.

Plenty of violent crime in the CWE - one of the city's crown jewel neighborhoods, both recent and from a couple of years ago (young lady SLU graduate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You are doing a disservice to your cause here. The argument that violent crime is isolated to North City is about 20 years old. I won't even bother to google the stuff going on in Dutchtown, roving gangs in Gravois Park, the "knock out game" that was going on in those areas plus Tower Grove South about which they've stopped reporting but I seriously doubt it's not happening, to roving gun battles downtown (yes we've had several in the last couple of years). Knockout games downtown (the young lawyer beaten senseless near Washingon), the young mother car jacked and killed on Washington avenue with her baby dropped off later. You can't seriously claim this is only in North St. Louis anymore. This isn't your grand parent's St. Louis.

Plenty of violent crime in the CWE - one of the city's crown jewel neighborhoods, both recent and from a couple of years ago (young lady SLU graduate).
I could also mention North County but we got enough problems. Did you see that Coldwater Creek turned white ? Now what are they dumping in there ?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I could also mention North County but we got enough problems. Did you see that Coldwater Creek turned white ? Now what are they dumping in there ?
Heard something about it on KMOX driving home. Sounds like a problem.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
It's a hard thing to pin down. St. Louis is definitely a "keep your head on a swivel" city where serious crime can and does happen in even the good areas. But, the clickbait articles and hand wringing among posters on various forums severely overplay the chances of anything bad happening to you in those same areas. Yes, STL has awful neighborhoods, but every year we see articles and forum discussions essentially communicating that it's an impossible city to live in, no matter what area in the city, without being the victim of serious crime, which just isn't true.

People are searching for some black or white "truth" as to STL - either it's uniformly a hell-on-earth violent city that no one should live in, or, other than the known bad areas, it's perfectly fine and saying anything different is just "hating." Neither is completely true. It's, of course, more complex.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
People are searching for some black or white "truth" as to STL - either it's uniformly a hell-on-earth violent city that no one should live in, or, other than the known bad areas, it's perfectly fine and saying anything different is just "hating." Neither is completely true. It's, of course, more complex.
Nobody is saying there's no crime in STL. They're saying you can walk down the street without expecting a dozen "urban" thugs to jump out of dumpsters and ambush you the second you cross the city line. There's more crime in urban areas because there are more poor victims in urban areas. Generally speaking, middle-class people are safe regardless of what city they are in, assuming they aren't in the city to buy wholesale cocaine or something.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/hpnvv0812.pdf

Edit: It's like saying Ohioans like Trump, and Pennsylvanians like Clinton. Actually, non-college whites like Trump and college whites + minorities like Clinton, and Ohio has a higher proportion of non-college whites. Don't expect a black guy who moves to Ohio to suddenly start supporting Trump. It's possible, but if you made a habit of betting on it you'd go bankrupt pretty quick.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I know many who live in St. Louis all of their lives and never worry about crime. Is it a safe city? I wouldn't classify it as a safe city but is it scarry to the point where safety is a constant concern? No.

St. Louis is like many other cities. You stand a greater chance of being ran over than you do being shot to death.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM

146 posts, read 393,920 times
I lived in St. Louis for 20 years. It depends on where you go. Many confuse suburbs (counties) with the actual city of St. Louis. With that said, I and a few of my family members were victims of robbery around WashU, Barnes, and South Grand.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM

436 posts, read 521,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraziman View Post
I lived in St. Louis for 20 years. It depends on where you go. Many confuse suburbs (counties) with the actual city of St. Louis. With that said, I and a few of my family members were victims of robbery around WashU, Barnes, and South Grand.
It can be pretty garbage in those areas.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
It can be pretty garbage in those areas.
LOL no. Just no. Do you live off of spreading lies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis