Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is the 4th best city in the United States of America for building wealth in 2016.

The Best Cities For Building Wealth | Bankrate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
St. Louis is the 4th best city in the United States of America for building wealth in 2016.

The Best Cities For Building Wealth | Bankrate.com
Well living expenses are pretty cheap in Missouri.

States like Missouri, Arkansas etc. your money goes further. Here in FL things overall are more expensive. Sure there is no income tax in FL, BUT FL gets you in many other ways such as higher property taxes and higher fees on stuff.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:17 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Well living expenses are pretty cheap in Missouri.

Makes you wonder how San Francisco aces the list?
I know a few software engineers in Google who get paid perhaps 40% more than their counter parts in MO but their rent in San Fran is 500% more.

Many professional software engineers can't afford to live in San Fran, so they go 50 to 60 miles away to share an apartment with fellow engineers in order to make the ends meet.

A few weeks ago, I was in San Fran's AT&T park watching a game between Giants and Mets when the weather certainly got chilly. So I went to buy hot chocolate for the kids. Three, watered down, 16 Oz cups cost $21.00

Old 11-03-2016, 08:14 PM

685 posts, read 767,344 times
Engineers do earn more in San Jose, but it's not enough to account for the cost of living. They are trading financial security for the opportunity to work at some of the most prestigious firms. Fair enough.

I have a friend who relocated to LA. The weather is awesome there and LA has a definitive pulse, but he was shocked to discover that incomes are only marginally higher than StL. And the cheapest houses in mediocre suburbs run 400-500k...aka, beyond reach. I suppose it's a personal preference: do you want the experience of living in a premier region, or do you want the stability and financial freedom of middle America?

Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I have a friend who relocated to LA. The weather is awesome there and LA has a definitive pulse, but he was shocked to discover that incomes are only marginally higher than StL. And the cheapest houses in mediocre suburbs run 400-500k...aka, beyond reach. I suppose it's a personal preference: do you want the experience of living in a premier region, or do you want the stability and financial freedom of middle America?
A personal preference indeed! We moved in retirement from northern CA (Sacramento) to the SW MO Ozarks seven years ago and after CA it was like moving back to America. There's a lot to be said for friendly people, four distinct seasons and social stability. the "premier region" leaves a lot to be desired. We love it here.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 PM

38 posts, read 101,111 times
Most software engineers (developers or code testers) cannot live within 120 miles radius of SF. They sometimes go to little towns in the Central Valley or Sacramento. I would not live there over MO and I have never been to MO.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Lol.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Makes you wonder how San Francisco aces the list?
I know a few software engineers in Google who get paid perhaps 40% more than their counter parts in MO but their rent in San Fran is 500% more.

Many professional software engineers can't afford to live in San Fran, so they go 50 to 60 miles away to share an apartment with fellow engineers in order to make the ends meet.

A few weeks ago, I was in San Fran's AT&T park watching a game between Giants and Mets when the weather certainly got chilly. So I went to buy hot chocolate for the kids. Three, watered down, 16 Oz cups cost $21.00

Welcome to California , did you by chance check out the outrageous price of parking near AT&T Park. Last time i took my wife and daughter there for a game , i had to drop them at the park and park 4 miles away.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Welcome to California , did you by chance check out the outrageous price of parking near AT&T Park. Last time i took my wife and daughter there for a game , i had to drop them at the park and park 4 miles away.
We stayed at Park Central hotel, so we walked to the park --- BUT --- overnight parking at the hotel was $100.00 anyway.. and that's on top of $400.00 a night for the room that apparently had "TWO full size beds" (what a luxury!)

I saw homeless people everywhere, and the city looked way too over crowded with visitors.
I think the rising crime rate is also been swept under the carpet.

But over all, we had fun. Trip to Alcatraz was awesome, and driving down the Lombard Street was unique. We also went to see Redwood trees at Muir Woods, and had a great time at Golden Gate Bridge. Kids loved it.
Ghirardelli's coffee and Ice Cream was great, even though it was way too sweet and loaded with calories.

I think San Fran is an awesome place but it's not for everyone. City could take some steps to tackle the crowds. Occasionally, it seemed like a mini New York City with double the traffic.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:45 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We stayed at Park Central hotel, so we walked to the park --- BUT --- overnight parking at the hotel was $100.00 anyway.. and that's on top of $400.00 a night for the room that apparently had "TWO full size beds" (what a luxury!)

I saw homeless people everywhere, and the city looked way too over crowded with visitors.
I think the rising crime rate is also been swept under the carpet.

But over all, we had fun. Trip to Alcatraz was awesome, and driving down the Lombard Street was unique. We also went to see Redwood trees at Muir Woods, and had a great time at Golden Gate Bridge. Kids loved it.
Ghirardelli's coffee and Ice Cream was great, even though it was way too sweet and loaded with calories.

I think San Fran is an awesome place but it's not for everyone. City could take some steps to tackle the crowds. Occasionally, it seemed like a mini New York City with double the traffic.

$100 for parking? Jeez. We are VERY spoiled in St. Louis when it comes to parking. 20-25.00 for a sporting event to part next to the stadium. A night on the town may cost 5-10 at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: