Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM

238 posts, read 331,642 times

Advertisements

In an effort to make my company's web site something more than a 4 page electronic brochure I am writing about the various communities and neighborhoods in St. Louis. You wouldn't believe how entailed this has become!

If you would like to check it out, please feel free to do so at, "St. Louis Communities and Neighborhoods (http://www.valuelistre.com/content/article.html/1405842 - broken link)". As always, any proofreading that you might care to do while there would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, that is not what I wanted to ask about here today. Another project that I am doing for the web site is called, "Stories From Mound City (http://www.valuelistre.com/content/article.html/1397428 - broken link)"

What I'm looking for is interesting stories about St. Louis and/or it's people. The first one that I wrote was about the "Great St. Louis Bank Robbery", which if you don't know the story was about a daring bank robbery that occurred at the Southwest Bank at the corner of Kingshighway and Southwest.

The bank robbery was interrupted by the St. Louis Police Department and a shoot out ensued. The story was later made into a movie starring Steve McQueen and that actually featured many of the bank employees and the St. Louis Police officers in the movie. Pretty cool stuff.

So, any good St. Louis stories? Let me know.

Last edited by Bobster; 02-26-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,605,950 times
Bobster, neither of your links work...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Hmmm, thanks for pointing that out....I'll try and fix them.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Got it figured out.....they work now

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 17,105 times
It surprised me to learn that a Revolutionary War battle was fought in St. Louis. In 1780 British and allied Indian forces from Mackinac beseiged the city. Spanish Lt. Governor De Leyba called in regular troops and militia from outlying (mostly French) settlements and strengthened. American frontier troops under George Rogers Clark joined with local Spanish/French forces to defeat the attacking Indians, with the loss of 21 dead and 7 wounded. 25 allied captured soldiers were recaptured in a counterattack. One thinks of the Revolutionary War as an east coast operation, but St. Louis was in the action, too.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Wow! I didn't know that! If you don't mind, I'm going to drop you a direct message. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love it if you were to maybe flesh that out a bit and I'll put you on the Stories from Mound city.....

If not, thanks for letting me know about this! And thanks for the comment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: