Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:54 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,006,832 times

Advertisements

It had nothing to do with St. Louis. The NFL wanted a team in LA. Kroenke had the team, the land, the money, and he's butt buddies with Jerry Jones. It could have just as easily happened to Buffalo, Cincinnati, New Orleans, or a few other cities. But they didn't have Kroenke for an owner.

Regardless of what some LA fans think, it had nothing to do with "righting a wrong", in returning the Rams to LA. The fact that the team was the Rams, was coincidental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
That 3-42 stretch never existed. In a five year span from 2007-2011 the Rams went 15-65. Other teams such as the Raiders and Browns have been just as futile the past decade and their fans still manage to show up to support their teams. If you exclude fluky playoff appearances (the Rams almost had one in 2010) for teams like the Dolphins, Bucs, and Jaguars you could include those teams as being in the same category of awfulness as the Rams.

Saint Louis lost an NFL team in the late 80's. If the fans were really committed they would show up regardless of the product. The same thing happened to Cleveland and they have a rabid fanbase despite how dreadful the team is.

I completely agree. The way the NFL went about the relocation process was disgraceful and Roger Goodell is a rat bastard. Ratings are down and I am pleased to see that NFL ratings have declined. Doesn't change the fact that the Dome was either half empty or packed with opposing fans for the past six years.
I'm old enough to remember when the "Big Red" came to town in 1960, a ragtag franchise that hasn't won a championship since 1947. With the exception of the Don Coryell years in the mid-70's, they were mediocre at best. The Coryell years were similar to the Rams Martz era, though the Cardinals never won or even appeared in a Super Bowl in those years.

With the exception of those few years in the mid-70's, and the late 90's, early 2000's, St. Louis has been cursed with bad organizations and losing football.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
There is a parallel between St. Louis and Cleveland fans in that both cities lost an NFL franchise at one point. Browns fans show up and pack their stadium regardless of how inept the team is, Rams fans didn't.

I have been a Rams fan for several years even before I moved to St. Louis. To pretend that the Rams had a large fanbase is hilarious. Yes, the team sucked for a decade and the owner is obsessed with obtaining money and could care less about the success of the team. But it's not as if they are the only franchise to experience a sustained period of losing.
One issue is that regionally, St. Louis is surrounded by traditionally strong NFL franchises, that fans have formed allegiances with. When I say regional, I mean baseball Cardinals size regional. Neither the football Cardinals or Rams ever won over a large enough period of time to attract these fans. The years pre-1960, and 1988-95, when there was no NFL team in St. Louis at all, didn't help matters.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
...and now the Chargers say they are also moving to the new Kroenke Los Angeles Stadium.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 17,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
...and now the Chargers say they are also moving to the new Kroenke Los Angeles Stadium.
Oh Dear Lordy, does this mean those nice folks in L.A. are going to be cursed with TWO mediocre-to-lousy NFL teams?
Well, I wouldn't worry...L.A. has two Stanley Cups in the last six years and is suddenly a credible hockey town, joining the ranks of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as the true class of the 1967 NHL Expansion. Even as a transplanted Bruins fan, I'm hoping the Blues and their long-suffering fans can experience the joy of hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup and no longer be "that outsider" from the 1967 Expansion that never won a Cup.
I'm attending the Winter Classic and will be sporting my Bruins colors but will be going for the Blues, along with many of my high-energy transplant co-workers.
BOOM GO BLUES BABY!!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:18 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisWinner2017 View Post
Oh Dear Lordy, does this mean those nice folks in L.A. are going to be cursed with TWO mediocre-to-lousy NFL teams?
Well, I wouldn't worry...L.A. has two Stanley Cups in the last six years and is suddenly a credible hockey town, joining the ranks of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as the true class of the 1967 NHL Expansion. Even as a transplanted Bruins fan, I'm hoping the Blues and their long-suffering fans can experience the joy of hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup and no longer be "that outsider" from the 1967 Expansion that never won a Cup.
I'm attending the Winter Classic and will be sporting my Bruins colors but will be going for the Blues, along with many of my high-energy transplant co-workers.
BOOM GO BLUES BABY!!
Unfortunately, the Blues have just never been able to win the Cup. That being said, it could be argued that they've been the 2nd most competitive franchise in that '67 expansion over the years. They're always good, just never great.

PTS since 1967

Flyers 4424
Blues 4046
Stars 3929
Pens 3909
Kings 3761

Old 12-16-2016, 06:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,800,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Unfortunately, the Blues have just never been able to win the Cup. That being said, it could be argued that they've been the 2nd most competitive franchise in that '67 expansion over the years. They're always good, just never great.

PTS since 1967

Flyers 4424
Blues 4046
Stars 3929
Pens 3909
Kings 3761
Yep. The Blues made the playoffs 25 straight years. They just rarely go deep in the playoffs as in Finals or semifinals. They had a deeper run last year. But after 50 years, people want the Cup. It will be quite the parade down Market Street.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
I got a question for you people, why is the city planning on building a brand new MLS stadium if the Rams left you a beautiful empty stadium right downtown?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I got a question for you people, why is the city planning on building a brand new MLS stadium if the Rams left you a beautiful empty stadium right downtown?
Because the Rams stadium isn't appropriate for MLS. It's too big and it's a dome.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,394,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Because the Rams stadium isn't appropriate for MLS. It's too big and it's a dome.
Yes. And the abandoned stadium is anything but beautiful. It will be better used as part of the convention center more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis