Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:10 AM

208 posts, read 236,143 times

Advertisements

No threads on this topic? Primary on the 7th and general next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Andrew Jones, Andy Karandzieff, and James Osher are the republicans. I did listen to Jones speak recently at an event. Also speaking at the event were Boyd and a surrogate for Tishaura Jones. I've heard democrat Reed speak at another event. Andrew Jones, Reed, and Boyd all well spoken. The Tishaura Jones surrogate not so much.

I agree that the democrat stranglehold on St. Louis politics needs to end but I don't think it will happen this go round. I do like Andrew Jones however from hearing him speak. He seems very reasonable and didn't appear to color everything in racial tones. The Tishaura Jones surrogate on the other hand was likely a BLM leader.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCitySam View Post
Andrew Jones, Andy Karandzieff, and James Osher are the republicans. I did listen to Jones speak recently at an event. Also speaking at the event were Boyd and a surrogate for Tishaura Jones. I've heard democrat Reed speak at another event. Andrew Jones, Reed, and Boyd all well spoken. The Tishaura Jones surrogate not so much.

I agree that the democrat stranglehold on St. Louis politics needs to end but I don't think it will happen this go round. I do like Andrew Jones however from hearing him speak. He seems very reasonable and didn't appear to color everything in racial tones. The Tishaura Jones surrogate on the other hand was likely a BLM leader.
Are these people really Republicans, or are they simply running as a Republican in order to run against the democrat in the general election and are just as liberal as the democrat running?

Old 03-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Karandzieff and Osher are not serious republican candidates and have alternative motives for running perhaps. Jones appears to be a serious candidate that embraces republican values. But he's probably not a solid republican.

So as a republican, your choice will be to either sit out this election...again, or choose the best of the worst democrats and then hold your breath and cross your fingers in hopes that they don't screw things up even more than then they have to this point in history. For a republican to win, you really would need a Donald Trump type candidate to break up the democrat oligarchy.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 PM

685 posts, read 768,432 times
Unlike other major cities, our mayor has very little power due to the City's charter. And city government isn't really partisan in the traditional sense. Most issues are more about pragmatism than ideology.

The major issues in the City are not related to government, but rather, are the result a poor underclass that lacks the values necessary for a productive society.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Unlike other major cities, our mayor has very little power due to the City's charter. And city government isn't really partisan in the traditional sense. Most issues are more about pragmatism than ideology.

The major issues in the City are not related to government, but rather, are the result a poor underclass that lacks the values necessary for a productive society.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with that part. Cities such as Memphis, New Orleans and Detroit all have similar problems.

Your big cities such as Los Angeles, and Chicago have problems too, but they're such huge cities that other demographic factors override the poor underclass that make the issues less severe and the cities still function.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 AM

The operative word is ideology. If you watched the Mayoral candidate forum, it was all about ideology. Ideology drives policy. And the democrat ideology is leftist.

Last edited by SouthCitySam; 03-06-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
This is the same argument people make throughout history for every multi-generational underclass, and it always turns out to be wrong. What the poor lack is not values, it's money. Money for tuition, money for transportation, money for a safe place to study, money for peace of mind and caring for family.

If you want to fix the city, give every resident five grand a year with no strings attached. Otherwise, learn to live with poverty and the crime it incubates.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This is the same argument people make throughout history for every multi-generational underclass, and it always turns out to be wrong. What the poor lack is not values, it's money. Money for tuition, money for transportation, money for a safe place to study, money for peace of mind and caring for family.

If you want to fix the city, give every resident five grand a year with no strings attached. Otherwise, learn to live with poverty and the crime it incubates.
How many of them would blow the money on drugs though? Where do you expect this money to come from?

If you gave 5k a year to someone in a rural area that has drug problems they will likely spend the money on heroine or meth.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
Drug addiction likelihood is not related to poverty, and may even be inversely related (drugs are expensive). However, the ability to get treatment for drug addiction is dependent on wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: