Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM

73 posts, read 274,036 times

Advertisements

Hello, just thought i'd try this out cuz I wanted to get some ideas from other people, possibly a few realtors as well.... I'm currently house hunting, right now I rent in St. Charles.

our price range is 95K...

We're looking in St. Ann, Hazelwood, and St. Charles....here is our problem,

St. Ann seems to have the more house for the money, BUT we're concerned about resell, and that area in general. and the fact that there are a million houses for sale in st. ann right now.....(but then again, aren't there a million houses for sale everywhere?)

Hazelwood has ok houses for our range, but that taxes our way higher, we would not be as comfortable financially.

St. Charles has slim pickings for this price range it seems, houses we find in this price range are either on really trashy looking streets, or need complete rehabs.

We just don't want to be in a bad position when we resell, we want to make sure the house buy will easily resell after we put our touches on it....we plan to stay 4-5 years at the LEAST...so any advice or suggestions is welcome

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 PM

84 posts, read 339,142 times
I would go with Hazelwood in your situation. Also have you looked into Florissant? Two nice areas that you could probably find a decent home for $95,000 in a good neighborhood. Florissant and Hazelwood are both nice and stable cities with good demographics.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
I agree with Walnut Park. Both areas would be better than St. Ann (though I think St. Ann is relatively OK)

You're right- there's just almost nothing in St. Charles anymore for under 100k, which is amazing to me having grown up there. For 125k you could probably get an non-updated ranch style house in an older subdivision, but not for 100 unless you catch someone desperate or a foreclosure.

Unless you're willing to look out near Wentzville or settle for a condo, you'll have to leave St. Charles County.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:49 PM

19 posts, read 78,606 times
If you got Hazelwood or Florissant just make sure your in the Hazelwood West High school and Jr high area . Not the greatest schools , but they are way above the others in North County . Try looking around Koch Park area by Charbonier road or Lindsey Lane .

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM

145 posts, read 655,556 times
Agree with pp--I teach at Hazelwood West. Most people believe it to be the 'best' of the 3 HS's for the district

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 18,030 times
I would favor St. Ann, but I live here! It has everything close by, grocery, library, church, low taxes and golf! There are some great deals everywhere now, so I think in 4-5 years you will be fine.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
Ever think about moving further out west of St. Charles county...or even Lincoln county.
Get yourself a good realtor.
I would stay away from St. Ann...it has gone so downhill. example Northwest Plaza, or what use to be Northwest Plaza.

Good Luck

Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
When my wife and I were in St. Louis last fall we stayed somewhere in St. Ann and heard several gunshots..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 18,030 times
I have lived in St. Ann for 3 years now - and not heard one gunshot, much less one person being shot. Our neighbors are mostly senors and great people. We have 2 small kids and would move if we felt unsafe. Was your stay during the 4th of July? People DO get a little crazy with backyard fireworks here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis