Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 PM

114 posts, read 818,886 times

Advertisements

I think I've narrowed down my target neighborhoods (upon my move from Calif to STL) between CWE and Soulard. I spoke to my mother-in-law who lives in Lafayette Park and she told me that Soulard is not safe and just a big party neighborhood. I do have two daughters but I really want an urban/cosmo feel and I want something that reflects what I'm used to: Berkeley, Marin, SF in order to make the transition a bit easier. I loathe suburbia, love diversity, and could handle a few petty crimes here and there. Money is a factor, if I decide to rent, I want to go on the cheap to save money for a down pmt, but if I decide to buy, I'd like a funky, yet up and coming neighborhood that would eventually give me a reasonable return.

Thanks for your input. You all have been "hella" great in answering my other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

238 posts, read 331,892 times
Soulard is a party neighborhood in that there are a lot of bars down there, but for the most part it's just a neighborhood...if that makes any sense?

The CWE is a big calmer over-all because the bars are mostly on certain streets. From what I've read, I would think that either could work for you.....If I had to give a nod for somebody in your situation, I'd go with the CWE.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
Soulard is really only a party area during Mardi Gras (which drives the residents crazy) Honestly the rest of the year it's relatively quiet in that most bars only draw from those in the neighborhood, whereas the CWE has people come from the 'burbs and other parts of the city for its nightlife.

I think either would be fine- though I prefer CWE too- I've never heard crime in Soulard being an issue at all. Of course petty crimes will happen, but you seem well aware of that. I think you'd be happy in either place.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:35 PM

114 posts, read 818,886 times
Thanks to both of you so far. In exploring CWE (online), I found this neighborhood: Skinker-DeBaliviere. There were a lot of contentious comments on another forum about it but for me, I don't care about the race issue. Aside from that, how do y'all feel about it: affordability, relative safety, community?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,134 times
If you choose Soulard stay away from homes near bars. It will be noisy with amateur drunks from the county leaving the bars at 1:am. Moving south of Russell is better (less bars).
The CWE will be a little more expensive. But great walking areas.
How about Lafayette Sq.??? Better yet, nearby LaSalle Park is quieter.

skinker-debaliviere has larger apt. bldgs. Soulard/Lafayette Sq. has more townhouses.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissit View Post
I think I've narrowed down my target neighborhoods (upon my move from Calif to STL) between CWE and Soulard. I spoke to my mother-in-law who lives in Lafayette Park and she told me that Soulard is not safe and just a big party neighborhood. I do have two daughters but I really want an urban/cosmo feel and I want something that reflects what I'm used to: Berkeley, Marin, SF in order to make the transition a bit easier. I loathe suburbia, love diversity, and could handle a few petty crimes here and there. Money is a factor, if I decide to rent, I want to go on the cheap to save money for a down pmt, but if I decide to buy, I'd like a funky, yet up and coming neighborhood that would eventually give me a reasonable return.

Thanks for your input. You all have been "hella" great in answering my other posts.
The Soulard is fine to live. Sheesh. Lots of bar and restaurants and night life, so it can get noisy and rowdy at times. I wouldn't exactly call it unsafe. Check crime stats. Also consider just West of there in some of the other areas, Lafayette Square, South City, etc... South City is a diverse area.

CWE is also fine to live w a lot to see and do.

And, like St. Louis for what it is, which is a good place. I really enjoy the Bay Area but St. Louis is a different place. If you keep them separate, and dive in, you'll do fine. You already have seeminly the right attitude.

Like anywhere in a major urban area, be smart with decisions, especially at night, regardless of any neighborhood you choose.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissit View Post
Thanks to both of you so far. In exploring CWE (online), I found this neighborhood: Skinker-DeBaliviere. There were a lot of contentious comments on another forum about it but for me, I don't care about the race issue. Aside from that, how do y'all feel about it: affordability, relative safety, community?
I know some people who live in here. They are young professionals, 20's and 30's and do just fine, mixed in with a wide variety of types, wealthy older folks, to low socioeconomic types. Some very nice places to live mixed in with some not so nice ones. It depends.

South of Delmar in the city is a general piece of advice to a newcomer to consider. There are some very rough areas as you keep venturing on the North side of the city past there.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
I'd agree that the neighborhood is just fine- not the most glamorous, but not a bad place to call home. Plus it's adjacent to some great areas, though Fishtacos is right to suggest staying south of Delmar. There are some OK spots north of there but they get fewer and farther between quickly.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,294 times
I lived in Soulard and have many friends that currently live there. I consider it the safest neighborhood in the city. Yes there is a lot of nightlife there but it isnt a big party every day there. Actually the only big party day is Mardi Gras. I lived right next to one of the bars and never had any issues. Give it a good look.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM

117 posts, read 410,921 times
Two of my favorite neighborhoods. Congrats! Have you actually visited either area?

Even though Soulard has lots of bars, it's always struck me as a mellow, laid back kind of place. And the bars are small and relatively quiet. Even the ones with music - and there's lots of great music. It has a sleepy, funky feel to it, full of old St.Louis soul without getting hokey about it. Real soul. Beautiful architecture. Never struck me as particularly dangerous. I love it.

It also has a fair number of restaurants, cafes, corner shops and a famous open air market.

Mardi Gras does sound like it's gotten to be a pain, but that's a few days every year. I guess the main complaint is that it's simply gotten too big for Soulard's residential streets. Maybe they should move it to a large thoroughfare.

Some of the neighboring areas, LaSalle Park, Benton Park, and, of course Lafayette Square sound interesting too.

But with kids, I might very well give the nod to CWE. Soulard, for all it's charm, is kind of out of the way and unto itself. CWE is right in the middle of things. You get quiet residential streets, a great mix of houses (gorgeous ones with yards) and apartment buildings. Great cafes, pubs, bars, shops.
Perhaps St. Louis' best surviving independent bookstore (Left Bank Books). A beautiful public library, good schools, Forest Park, the metrolink (even bus service is good it's such a central locale). It really has everything. If there's one neighborhood in St. Louis that has truly been cosmopolitan for decades it's the Central West End.

I think I said this once before, but on my last visit I was walking down a beautiful tree-lined street in CWE. It was late June, very warm, not quite hot. The sunlight through the trees, the street, the passersby, the air, everything about it was so delightful. I just kept thinking of that expression "...as bees in honey drown". It was a moment of nearly perfect happiness.

Either way, I think you're covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis