Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM

50,012 posts, read 63,347,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Well, I mean, they might not have kids but they still have doctors and lawyers and mechanics and cashiers and so on, right? I mean, people don't actually think this way?
What does this have to do with property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 03:33 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,573,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What does this have to do with property taxes?
Paying for the education of your next doctor is done via property taxes.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,261,588 times
Quote:
That is a big problem in parts of Florida right now. I live in Southwest Florida and my counties school district has been getting its budget slashed due to less enrollment. My county is seeing growth, however it is mostly retired adults moving to this county as my county is one of the oldest average age in this state and snowbirds. Working aged adults down here end up moving to places like Tampa due to the low pay in Southwest Florida and lack of good paying jobs.

Teachers have been laid off and the old people here do not want to raise property taxes because they don't have children or grandchildren going to these schools. The teacher pay around here is also crap too which is a problem attracting quality teachers around here. Starting pay is low 30s I've been told in my school district.

While enrollment went down 2,000 students, the budget has been slashed big time and hurts all the other students.

I think this is a big problem with the schools here in Florida and many consider Florida schools to be some of the worst in the country. This state is full of old people and snowbirds who don't want to pay for other people's education.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:22 AM

1,400 posts, read 855,685 times
Quote:
Paying for basic necessities is done with income that isn't confiscated. And I don't believe property taxes pay for medical school.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:47 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,573,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Paying for basic necessities is done with income that isn't confiscated. And I don't believe property taxes pay for medical school.
Good luck getting into medical school with no prior education.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 AM

50,012 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Jeeze, all I am saying is that someone paying very high property taxes, so their children get a very good public education, might reasonably consider moving to a different place after their children leave school. They are still supporting their local school,as they should, but it is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis