U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,068 times

Advertisements

So hey everyone ! i really need your help. I have read through the forum quite a bit but am confused as to the best direction forward. i get anxious over where to eat and this is a major life decision that is driving me insane . If you could help me that would be great !!

Family of four moving from Saudia Arabia to Saint Charles County because of hubby's job. Have two kids both in elementary school. What would be the best neighborhood to get a house in ? Primary concerns are

- good schools
- reasonable commute
- no structural or entrenched racism (we are brown and i read another thread that indicated its all white flight
so don't want to feel unwelcomed per se ... dont know if its true or not)
- not ending with an underwater mortgage when we do decide to sell

income is in the low 200s range for affordability purposes ...

any help would be really appreciated .. thanks a ton !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,172,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_from_Jeddah View Post
So hey everyone ! i really need your help. I have read through the forum quite a bit but am confused as to the best direction forward. i get anxious over where to eat and this is a major life decision that is driving me insane . If you could help me that would be great !!

Family of four moving from Saudia Arabia to Saint Charles County because of hubby's job. Have two kids both in elementary school. What would be the best neighborhood to get a house in ? Primary concerns are

- good schools
- reasonable commute
- no structural or entrenched racism (we are brown and i read another thread that indicated its all white flight

Income like that will get you pretty good housing anywhere in Missouri since I assume you got good credit too. West County could be another option to look in, but if you want to stay close to his job there are many options in St. Charles too. You can live in a affluent area, or live in an average area and get very reasonable housing prices.

I don't think you will experience much racism. Missouri as a whole though I could see in many areas where you might be viewed as an outsider though, especially southern and rural MO. Not trying to scare you but being middle eastern and in a state that's very conservative, patriotism, you will probably get some leery people looking at you though just because of everything going on. But it's like that just about anywhere you go due to all the Muslim extremist stuff going on people are prejudice. Not trying to scare you or anything.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM

795 posts, read 1,203,937 times
Quote:

- good schools
- reasonable commute

Welcome to Saint Louis!! You don't necessarily need to move into St. Charles County. I'd look at the 63146 zip code which is Maryland Heights in St. Louis County. The school district is Parkway in the north part of the district. There is a significant percentage of Southeast Asian folks in the this area of Parkway, which is an excellent school district. My two girls (now lovely young adults) graduated from Parkway West High.

Your husband could hop onto 364 West, otherwise known as the Page Avenue Extension, to get to St. Charles County.

Here are a few houses for sale in 63146 as examples:

12416 Highlife Dr, Saint Louis, MO 63146 - realtor.com®

12443 Cohasset Ln, Saint Louis, MO 63146 - realtor.com®

Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM

1,689 posts, read 817,618 times
I would focus first on the Rockwood (Lafayette or Marquette HS areas) and Parkway school districts. Highly educated populations, growing diversity, more culturally open minded than St. Charles county. I would not completely rule out St. Charles county but for schools, educated population, diversity, etc. that part of St. Louis county comes out ahead. There are other areas too (central St. Louis county...Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood school districts) but the commute gets longer.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM

4,979 posts, read 2,065,198 times
Quote:

- good schools
- reasonable commute

Parkway West is your best bet for good schools. Also, lots of South Asian Indians in the Rockford school district, which is very good too.

Chesterfield, Town and Country Ballwin, Ellisville etc a good cities get a nice place.

There is also a masjid on Weidman Rd in West County, and another one on Lackland Rd in Maryland Heights.

PM me if you need any assistance.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 687,614 times
Quote:

- good schools
- reasonable commute

You live in Saudi and you are worried about racism in St. Charles? Saudi as in "women have no rights"? LOL, that has to be one of the funniest things I've read to date on here. Just a tip, if you dress in the traditional Saudi attire, nobody will know that you have brown skin.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,041,852 times
I agree with Parkway school district - very good schools with decent diversity. Look at areas close to 270 (north of 64) for commuting (access to 364 and 70 into St Charles). Creve coeur and town and country are some of the nicer areas in STL. Maryland heights is to the north and I think a bit less expensive. Parkway is a huge district and the high school could be west, central, or north.

Don't get too close to the west lake landfill though (near the intersection of 70 and 270). It stinks and is radioactive.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM

3,708 posts, read 2,672,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
You live in Saudi and you are worried about racism in St. Charles? Saudi as in "women have no rights"? LOL, that has to be one of the funniest things I've read to date on here. Just a tip, if you dress in the traditional Saudi attire, nobody will know that you have brown skin.
Women aren't a race, FYI.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Women aren't a race, FYI.
Not to mention being concerned about prejudice where you're moving to and coming from a place with institutionalized sexism, are not mutually exclusive things.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM

3,708 posts, read 2,672,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexFan View Post
Not to mention being concerned about prejudice where you're moving to and coming from a place with institutionalized sexism, are not mutually exclusive things.
Yes, that's a better way to put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis