Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:40 PM

36 posts, read 118,767 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions in both states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM

36 posts, read 118,767 times
By the way...what's up with the governor?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
The best advice is to go to news.google.com and search for him. His name will came up over and over, and few articles paint him in a kind and flattering light.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,117 times
Greatschools isn't a useful tool to compare schools in different states. Missouri and Illinois use very different standardized tests. I have heard that it is significantly harder to get a "proficient" or "advanced" on the Missouri tests then it is on the Illinois tests. That probably explains the discrepancies you see in the test scores.

Also, the "proficient" and "advanced" standards are now used to determine whether a school meets the standards of No Child Left Behind. Many states are loosening their testing standards in order to not lose federal funding. Those tests are probably going to have less and less value when used to compare schools as time goes on.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
Illinois is a fine area to live in, although I prefer the Missouri side since it's more familiar to me. I wouldn't rule either state out just yet. Not every suburb (on either side) is as expensive as Ballwin, and not all are as urban as downtown. Try the area in between if you'd like to. Illinois is nice, too. East St. Louis is rough, but the Illinois side in general is alright. I have heard complaints about their governor, though. And you do have to be careful comparing schools in different states. They have different tests and different standards in different states. Also, typically more urban schools have more opportunity. I live in a small town. Although it's safe, our school doesn't have much as far as honors classes. But Chicago schools most likely do, and the majority of Illinoisans live in or near Chicago (I believe). So, that may be part of it.

And it sounds like you need a new realtor. I'd suggest also searching online and looking at houses. Then asking your realtor (or a new one if you get one) about it. The city is nice, but I understand if it's not your thing. There are wonderful private schools in the city of St. Louis, though. Anyway, Illinois is fine. Just keep looking around and find a house you like and can afford. Finding a 4BR under $350k is easy in a lot of areas in the St. Louis Metro area.

Good luck!

Also, I like to look around this site just for fun. Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate (http://cbgundaker.com/buying/ - broken link)
STLtoday has some listed as well, though not as many. Anyway, that Coldwell-Banker site I listed is very helpful. You can search for different counties, price and number of bedrooms. There are a lot of options, though, so I would search in small intervals (like $225-$250k or $250k-$275k). It's a worth a shot anyway.

Also, Coldwell-Banker lets your search by map as well.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Greatschools isn't a useful tool to compare schools in different states. Missouri and Illinois use very different standardized tests. I have heard that it is significantly harder to get a "proficient" or "advanced" on the Missouri tests then it is on the Illinois tests. That probably explains the discrepancies you see in the test scores.

Also, the "proficient" and "advanced" standards are now used to determine whether a school meets the standards of No Child Left Behind. Many states are loosening their testing standards in order to not lose federal funding. Those tests are probably going to have less and less value when used to compare schools as time goes on.
They pay us for making proficient or advanced. $100 for proficient and $250 for advanced. I got $350 this year for last year's tests. Sophomores and Juniors take the tests. They take 2 subjects each year. Sophomores take and have to pass (to eventually graduate high school) their U.S. Constitution test and they take the Missouri Constitution test in Junior High.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 PM

76 posts, read 297,290 times
I don't know much about the Illinois suburbs but I've heard that Edwardsville, Columbia and Belleville are all pretty nice places. I've always lived on the Missouri side though. I'm not a big fan of Ballwin either but how about Manchester, Chesterfield or Creve Coeur? Depending on how big of a house you need, you can find something decent in most of those places for under $350K. My favorite suburbs are Clayton, Brentwood, Webster and Kirkwood but it's harder to find what you probably need within your budget.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,475 times
I grew up in IL and when we decided to move here, we pretty much focused on the MO side for the scenery. Edwardsville is nice but the landscape on the east side in general is pretty flat and monotonous. Missouri, especially the south or west county area, is beautiful with the hills, bluffs and rivers. I think it's easier to get to downtown and the touristy attractions if you're on this side of the river too. Other than that, IL is fine. It just depends on what you're looking for and what your priorities are.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,527 times
I bet the REALTOR isn't licensed in Illinois, so if you buy in Illinois, she doesn't get paid. To me that does equate to a lousy REALTOR - a good REALTOR will point you in the right direction. Lots of great places to live on either side of the river. Keep looking, and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboogy View Post
There are quite a few areas I haven't seen yet, thanks to my lousy realtor. But just checking online, some of those areas listed are over our $350 max housing budget to get us what we want as far as size and condition go. No one specificly bashed Edwardsville. But 2 people just said to 'avoid' and 'don't go to' Ill without any explanation. Also, our realtor, the lousy one, said we wouldn't be happy there and that all the people she knows who moved there, have since moved back. We have another trip out there coming up. We are going to spend a day in Missouri and a day in Ill. I really just need to get out there again and see. Thanks for all the info. If the higher taxes in Ill will get us good schools and a nice suburb, than that sounds okay with me. I can deduct that!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM

50 posts, read 82,363 times
Default 2 cents or so...

I'd agree with you on Ballwin- there are parts of it that are very generic- and Manchester Road is congestion central. Also, one thing to consider w/Ballwin is that they recently put a landfill there (this was about 2 1/2 years ago- I've moved out of St. Louis since then)- so you really need to be careful which parts you consider. On the plus side- Ballwin has AAA (the highest rated) school districts- Rockwood and Parkway South.

The downside with IL (which is not a downside as much since I've heard from family that many of the major highways are under construction) in my view- is just the amount of time that it takes to get downtown. On the plus side- the roads and general maintenance is better then Missouri. You previously mentioned Edwardsville- the pluses are University of IL @ Edwardsville- but it is starting to lose its character a bit as more franchises and McMansion type subdivisions take over. If I had to pick a place in IL, I'd look at Fairview Heights then possibly Belleville. If you want something a bit more rural, I would consider Highland.

For a 300k budget in Missouri- I would consider the suburbs of Glendale, Webster Groves, and even Fenton (Rockwood school district area).

I hope your move goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis