U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM

58,212 posts, read 50,895,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Yes, that's exactly my point. Black focused institutions, scholarships, etc. exist because they're necessary to address the disadvantages blacks have in our society, they're not evidence that blacks are especially catered to.
I missed the sarcasm part. With so much tension flaring up on CD, it's hard to tell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 PM

3,729 posts, read 2,704,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I missed the sarcasm part. With so much tension flaring up on CD, it's hard to tell.
I thought there was no way "blacks were coddled in the antebellum south" could be taken as anything but sarcasm, but such are the times we live in I suppose.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 PM

1,400 posts, read 696,197 times
Quote:
I guess I just don't understand what point you were trying to make. Regardless, there are various time limits for SNAP benefits so you usually can't feed yourself for a lifetime regardless of your application proficiency.
It doesn't matter how many social welfare programs you offer, at some point people have to take some initiative and put forth some effort. Otherwise, you create a huge group of people who have an entitled attitude and don't contribute to society. What have you actually accomplished if at the end of the day all you have done is create a longer line at the welfare office.

You keep blaming the right wing and republicans for the institutional racism that you claim exists, yet city governments are not under republican control. If institutional racism exist in inner cities, then you can blame democrats and their failed policies. You keep blaming republicans because blacks get tougher prison sentences, yet rural white voters are not the ones who are electing the judges that serve in metropolitan areas.

So let me ask you a very straightforward question. Who is at fault for the institutional racism that you claim exists in the criminal justice system in STL at the city and county levels? In other words, how are republicans responsible for the institutional racism that you claim exists in deep blue democratic areas? Keep in mind that only 39% of the STL county voted for Trump, much less in the city.

Last edited by 1grin_g0; 06-09-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM

58,212 posts, read 50,895,517 times
Quote:
I thought there was no way "blacks were coddled in the antebellum south" could be taken as anything but sarcasm, but such are the times we live in I suppose.
It's the internet too. If we were face to face with each other, I would have likely picked up on it faster.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
It doesn't matter how many social welfare programs you offer, at some point people have to take some initiative and put forth some effort. Otherwise, you create a huge group of people who have an entitled attitude and don't contribute to society. What have you actually accomplished if at the end of the day all you have done is create a longer line at the welfare office.

You keep blaming the right wing and republicans for the institutional racism that you claim exists, yet city governments are not under republican control. If institutional racism exist in inner cities, then you can blame democrats and their failed policies. You keep blaming republicans because blacks get tougher prison sentences, yet rural white voters are not the ones who are electing the judges that serve in metropolitan areas.

So let me ask you a very straightforward question. Who is at fault for the institutional racism that you claim exists in the criminal justice system in STL at the city and county levels? In other words, how are republicans responsible for the institutional racism that you claim exists in deep blue democratic areas? Keep in mind that only 39% of the STL county voted for Trump, much less in the city.
Are you aware that state and federal prisons and court systems exist?

And are you aware the Republicans, not Democrats, are the ones spreading nonsensical racist screeds like
Quote:
It doesn't matter how many social welfare programs you offer, at some point people have to take some initiative and put forth some effort.
that I just demonstrated the absurdity of a few posts ago?

What racist policies are Democrats pursuing, that are comparable to Republican welfare limitations, prison industry handouts, biased sentencing programs, attacks on anti-discrimination laws, etc? You're gesticulating wildly in the direction of nothing.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 1,240,708 times
Quote:

I'm as far to the right as the come but race plays a role too in stl county regarding elections. A lot of those Hillary votes came from north county and the inner places of Stl county near the city where minorities make up most of the population and then some of the areas around Webster Groves, Wash U near Clayton, Ladue. Most of suburban St. Louis county votes Republican now and controls a lot of seats in the MO house now.

If you took away the parts of North County and urban stl county near the city, Stl county would tilt to the Republicans.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Are you aware that state and federal prisons and court systems exist?
Sure lets blame the state and federal courts, anything that will shift focus from the heart of the issue. You are aware that your typical street thug (robbery, burglary, rape, murder, etc.) either goes to the St. Louis County Court Building in Clayton or the St. Louis Circuit Court (city) right?

So who is responsible for your institutional racism in the two courts above? Who is responsible for your racism at the STL City PD and the STL County Sheriff's Office? You don't have to answer, I know you blame white rural voters throughout the state and the people that decided to relocate to Jefferson County and St. Charles County.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Sure lets blame the state and federal courts, anything that will shift focus from the heart of the issue. You are aware that your typical street thug (robbery, burglary, rape, murder, etc.) either goes to the St. Louis County Court Building in Clayton or the St. Louis Circuit Court (city) right?

So who is responsible for your institutional racism in the two courts above? Who is responsible for your racism at the STL City PD and the STL County Sheriff's Office? You don't have to answer, I know you blame white rural voters throughout the state and the people that decided to relocate to Jefferson County and St. Charles County.
Please describe the racist things you believe the Democrats are doing, if you're going to insist on your false equivalence.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'm as far to the right as the come but race plays a role too in stl county regarding elections. A lot of those Hillary votes came from north county and the inner places of Stl county near the city where minorities make up most of the population and then some of the areas around Webster Groves, Wash U near Clayton, Ladue. Most of suburban St. Louis county votes Republican now and controls a lot of seats in the MO house now.

If you took away the parts of North County and urban stl county near the city, Stl county would tilt to the Republicans.
From what I see, the dems have 19 seats in the county and the repubs have only 9. Trump only received 39% in STL County. In the city the dems have all the seats. It's clearly the democrats' mess.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Please describe the racist things you believe the Democrats are doing, if you're going to insist on your false equivalence.
You are the one claiming that STL is filled with institutional racism! I'm merely letting you know that if what you say is true, then you have nobody to blame but the democrats that are running the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis