Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
. In STL, I've frequently had blacks look at me like they want to kill...
Why do you think that is?

I know for a fact the segregation is worse in the midwest and east coast.

Black people looking at you like they want to kill you is extreme. Is this any particular area or events this happen at? Most homicides are committed within racial identities. Very few Black on White hate crimes on record for St. Louis metro area.

I've experienced being called names and rocks thrown at me in Chicago from Whites. A killing look has not happened that I know of.

Racism is everywhere. The racial climate is different from city to city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 PM

1,400 posts, read 855,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Why do you think that is?

I know for a fact the segregation is worse in the midwest and east coast.

Black people looking at you like they want to kill you is extreme. Is this any particular area or events this happen at? Most homicides are committed within racial identities. Very few Black on White hate crimes on record for St. Louis metro area.

I've experienced being called names and rocks thrown at me in Chicago from Whites. A killing look has not happened that I know of.

Racism is everywhere. The racial climate is different from city to city.
I'm not sure why, but perhaps there is an element of the black community in STL that either fears or hates whites. I'm just speaking from my experience in the city and north county. Even when I went to a 95%+ black school back east I never felt a hostile vibe. The racism was definitely there, but it was different. It was more blatant back east, but less hostile. For example, it was nothing for my white male friends and I to be harassed and called "Opie" or "Ope" for short. In the Deep South, even when in the minority I've never felt the hatred. I believe the blacks there are mostly devout Christians and fairly conservative so that probably has something to do with it. I agree that the climate varies from city to city, and region to region as well. I'm sorry that you experienced that in Chicago. What a bunch of thugs that did that to you. People like that need to be put behind bars.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:18 AM

107 posts, read 117,955 times
The internet has come along and given the casual non-scholar
a lot more information about history than he or she was ever
taught in high school or college, or by watching TV. The Civil
War is one of the topics Americans know more about now than
their parents did.
One of the things we now know is that other factors entered in,
one of which was state's rights. It is not a mere coincidence
that issues such as flags and monuments have been made
high priority, today.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:40 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,964,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
The Civil
War is one of the topics Americans know more about now than
their parents did..
BS. Kids aren't learning about the civil war today and they aren't using the internet for history lessons.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure why, but perhaps there is an element of the black community in STL that either fears or hates whites. I'm just speaking from my experience in the city and north county. Even when I went to a 95%+ black school back east I never felt a hostile vibe. The racism was definitely there, but it was different. It was more blatant back east, but less hostile. For example, it was nothing for my white male friends and I to be harassed and called "Opie" or "Ope" for short. In the Deep South, even when in the minority I've never felt the hatred. I believe the blacks there are mostly devout Christians and fairly conservative so that probably has something to do with it. I agree that the climate varies from city to city, and region to region as well. I'm sorry that you experienced that in Chicago. What a bunch of thugs that did that to you. People like that need to be put behind bars.
When I lived in Memphis Tennessee, I met a lot of Blacks who where judgmental towards many Whites. I am around a lot of Blacks in St Louis and have not heard anything bad said about Whites as a group even during the Ferguson thing.

I think Blacks in St Louis are more likely to make an issue of racism and injustice then they are in other places. I see a horrible fear from Whites who are not exposed to Blacks on a regular.

I've experienced racial prejudice everywhere in different forms based upon demographics and migration patterns. Prejudice isn't illegal.

Whats an Opie? Is that racial? I know I was called a nerd by my classmates at an all White school. I wasn't athletic at all and was made fun of because I was the awkward Black kid. I was also bullied by my White classmates until I stood up for myself. I did go home and cry about it a few times but my parents taught me how to put an end to it.

Fast forward to today, I don't waste too much time trying to figure out if someone likes me or not because of my race. (Its psychologically and spiritually draining) When it comes to impacting my safety and my general wellbeing is when I will fight hard against it. If you don't want my business, I won't give it. If you don't want me to work for you, I don't want to work for you because I am entrepreneurial enough to create my own business. There is nothing worse than working for a racists organisations everyday and dealing with a lot of bs from coworkers.

I let people tell their story. Racists are good at letting me know who they are and I will gladly deal with them according. (Its not hard given social media) The thing I see now that is everywhere is racists Whites don't like being called out and will accuse Black people of being racists for standing up for injustice.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
When I lived in Memphis Tennessee, I met a lot of Blacks who where judgmental towards many Whites. I am around a lot of Blacks in St Louis and have not heard anything bad said about Whites as a group even during the Ferguson thing.

I think Blacks in St Louis are more likely to make an issue of racism and injustice then they are in other places. I see a horrible fear from Whites who are not exposed to Blacks on a regular.

I've experienced racial prejudice everywhere in different forms based upon demographics and migration patterns. Prejudice isn't illegal.

Whats an Opie? Is that racial? I know I was called a nerd by my classmates at an all White school. I wasn't athletic at all and was made fun of because I was the awkward Black kid. I was also bullied by my White classmates until I stood up for myself. I did go home and cry about it a few times but my parents taught me how to put an end to it.

Fast forward to today, I don't waste too much time trying to figure out if someone likes me or not because of my race. (Its psychologically and spiritually draining) When it comes to impacting my safety and my general wellbeing is when I will fight hard against it. If you don't want my business, I won't give it. If you don't want me to work for you, I don't want to work for you because I am entrepreneurial enough to create my own business. There is nothing worse than working for a racists organisations everyday and dealing with a lot of bs from coworkers.

I let people tell their story. Racists are good at letting me know who they are and I will gladly deal with them according. (Its not hard given social media) The thing I see now that is everywhere is racists Whites don't like being called out and will accuse Black people of being racists for standing up for injustice.
I remember a black teacher of mine in middle school back east that used the classroom as a platform to preach his message to black youth. He would always say "we" (referring to blacks). I remember thinking to myself what the hell am I doing here, I'm not black. He would go on and on the whole period about what "we" blacks should be doing to improve "our" community, not even acknowledging the fact that a handful of us weren't black. I remember him saying that he was going for the Blue Jays in the World Series because that team was more diverse, even though they were playing against his hometown Phillies. He thought the Phillies were too white. The sad thing is that type of stuff was normal everyday life, that's what I mean by blatant racism. Many whites can't even relate to my experience because they've never been in the minority, therefore they don't even realize that racism is not a one way street. Needless to say, I don't buy that white guilt crap like some of the liberal posters on this board. You can look up "Opie" on urban dictionary and scroll over some of the definitions.

You also see a lot of racist blacks today that don't like being called out for all the black on white crime. Racism goes both ways, but you would never know that if all you watch is the mainstream fake news.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 PM

266 posts, read 461,731 times
Quote:
Your posts come off as being quite distrutbing. Lol @ 'the blacks' and 'thugs'. Your rhetoric alone is quite displeasing. That's probably why people side eye you.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
Your posts come off as being quite distrutbing. Lol @ 'the blacks' and 'thugs'. Your rhetoric alone is quite displeasing. That's probably why people side eye you.
I am learning the St. Louis posters. My engagement circle is shrinking everytime I am on here.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
I am sorry you find my posts quite distrutbing. I probably should have included a snowflake advisory at the top. My bad.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,573,810 times
Quote:
I remember a black teacher of mine in middle school back east that used the classroom as a platform to preach his message to black youth. He would always say "we" (referring to blacks). I remember thinking to myself what the hell am I doing here, I'm not black. He would go on and on the whole period about what "we" blacks should be doing to improve "our" community, not even acknowledging the fact that a handful of us weren't black. I remember him saying that he was going for the Blue Jays in the World Series because that team was more diverse, even though they were playing against his hometown Phillies. He thought the Phillies were too white. The sad thing is that type of stuff was normal everyday life, that's what I mean by blatant racism. Many whites can't even relate to my experience because they've never been in the minority, therefore they don't even realize that racism is not a one way street. Needless to say, I don't buy that white guilt crap like some of the liberal posters on this board. You can look up "Opie" on urban dictionary and scroll over some of the definitions.

You also see a lot of racist blacks today that don't like being called out for all the black on white crime. Racism goes both ways, but you would never know that if all you watch is the mainstream fake news.
Mmm, the problem with racism is the power dynamic of a majority using control of institutions and society to oppress minorities. Racism is absolutely not a 2-way street. A white guy calling a black guy by a slur is not the same as the reverse, because of the power dynamics at play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis