Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 AM

186 posts, read 241,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantInHell View Post
I am a recently transplanted Professional Engineer from Chicago, and here is what I have noticed over several months:

(1) The overall pace here is a lethargic one, people tend to drive, walk, think and talk slowly, defintely not a core trait of a big city.
(2) Downtown dies at 5:00 PM (excepting sporting events, I will concede that Cardinal fans are among the most devout in baseball), defintely not a core trait of a big city.
(3) Most of the major touring bands/artists bypass St. Louis on their tours, defintely not a core trait of a big city.
(4) Most of the natives I've met are insecure, self-flagellating social martyrs that lock themselves in, defintely not a core trait of a big city.
(5) The very few five-star restaurants/attractions are located in Clayton, not the central urban core. Yes it's great to have a free zoo and other attractions, but when there are bona fide safety concerns and parking quagmires, that is a sign of poor urban leadership, defintely not a core trait of a big city.
(6) Losing more Fortune 500 companies than gaining them is defintely not a core trait of a big city.
I'm a Chicago trans plant too. I can't get over how slow paced the people here are. It really drive me crazy, I'm hoping I get used to it...quickly!

This might be a quaint city, but not a big city feel at all.

I miss the pizza back at home, i hope you never have to experience St. Louis pizza, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM

7,107 posts, read 8,887,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I'm a Chicago trans plant too. I can't get over how slow paced the people here are. It really drive me crazy, I'm hoping I get used to it...quickly!

This might be a quaint city, but not a big city feel at all.

I miss the pizza back at home, i hope you never have to experience St. Louis pizza, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
I wouldn't wish Imos on my worst enemy. Pi is barely ok. Chicago and NYC has better pizza.

Soul Food and Bar B Que are the best here. Quite a few good Frozen Custard places throughout the city as well as Burger places.

I didn't think people in Chicago drove too fast Chicagoans are some of the best drivers imo. Houston, Atlanta and northern New Jersey have fast drivers. Atlanta and Houston have too many wrecks. The way people drive doesn't impact my happiness or lack of with a city.

I guess I knew what to expect when leaving Chicago. I never thought of Chicago as the standard for anything nor did I think it was the end all be all. I've lived in many different cities to know that no city is the standard for anything. It's all give and take.

I hate St. Louis drivers. Its like they wonder around for no reason and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Most people I know in St Louis are very hard working who are on top of their stuff so that part isn't much different from Chicago.

It's what you make of it just like Chicago. Don't stay here if it makes you miserable. Adjust or keep it moving.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 06-26-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I wouldn't wish Imos on my worst enemy. Pi is barely ok. Chicago and NYC has better pizza.

Soul Food and Bar B Que are the best here. Quite a few good Frozen Custard places throughout the city as well as Burger places.

I didn't think people in Chicago drove too fast Chicagoans are some of the best drivers imo. Houston, Atlanta and northern New Jersey have fast drivers. Atlanta and Houston have too many wrecks.

I guess I knew what to expect when leaving Chicago. I never thought of Chicago as the standard for anything nor did I think it was the end all be all. I've lived in many different cities to know that no city is the standard for anything. It's all give and take.

I hate St. Louis drivers. Its like they wonder around for no reason and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Most people I know in St Louis are very hard working who are on top of their stuff so that part isn't much different from Chicago.

It's what you make of it just like Chicago. Don't stay here if it makes you miserable. Adjust or keep it moving.
No, not miserable here, but it is an adjustment for sure. Yes the pizza stinks but the BBQ is great!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 3,264,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I didn't think people in Chicago drove too fast Chicagoans are some of the best drivers imo. Houston, Atlanta and northern New Jersey have fast drivers. Atlanta and Houston have too many wrecks.

If you hate driving in St. Louis you will be terrified to drive here in Florida. It really is a life risking adventure. There is a reason our rates are super high down here.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,574,917 times
As if you can't get Chicago- or New York-style pizza in St. Louis.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Its not like Beggars, Home Run Inn or Lou Malnautis!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Oh you can't...I have fallen victim to 'Chicago style' pizza outside of Chicago too many times. No one gets it right outside of the Chicago area.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,860,549 times
St Louis reminds me of Cincinnati so much every time I visit, the residents act so much alike it is scary. I always thought St. Louis was a mid sized city like Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, Milwaukee. Big city is relative to what you are used to.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
St Louis reminds me of Cincinnati so much every time I visit, the residents act so much alike it is scary. I always thought St. Louis was a mid sized city like Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, Milwaukee. Big city is relative to what you are used to.
It is relative. I've lived in metros ranging from 900k to 10 million. St. Louis is a small big city in my book. I wouldn't want to go any smaller then St Louis at this point in my life.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,376,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Oh you can't...I have fallen victim to 'Chicago style' pizza outside of Chicago too many times. No one gets it right outside of the Chicago area.
Just have it sent to you.

Ship Lou Malnati's, Chicago's Best Deep Dish Pizza | Tastes of Chicago

Chicago pizza is good, really good...but it's heavy, greasy, and worse for you than any other pizza. Probably best not to have it so easily available Lots of good pizza places in St. Louis that are not Imo's I personally like Pi, but Katie's Pizza and Pasta is my current favorite. I will admit that pizza is low on my food choice list though, so I'm no aficionado :P

Last edited by STL74; 06-26-2017 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis