Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I wonder how many Missouri firearm owns have gotten in trouble in other states due to the lack of need for a permit. I know some of the Metro East counties are starting to come down on people crossing the river with their guns.

I could be mistaken, but ending up with a conviction for violating another state's gun laws could also mess up one's ability to have a gun at all.
Well people should stay out of IL. I hate entering that state. It's a dump.

Also have to watch down by Charleston, MO that small strip of IL you cross as you're heading into Kentucky. I've seen ISP around there as well.

I also have seen ISP by Telegraph before in Oakville because they catch people speeding right before crossing the JB bridge into Missouri.

I wonder what happens when they pull you over in Missouri and you're carrying a gun illegally according to IL law but were pulled over by ISP in MO? Could they still arrest you? You could then argue that you strapped the gun on as you headed into MO.

If IL doesn't like Missouri gun laws, tuff sh**. I don't like their liberal, communist state as well.

Just stay out of IL at all cost. The state is crap.

Kansas doesn't require a permit to carry and Oklahoma requires a permit BUT if you're from a state that doesn't require you to get a conceal carry permit then OK doesn't require you to have one.

I have 3 valid ccw permits right now. AZ, FL, and VA. Florida isn't like Missouri where Missourians can use any permit from any state. Florida requires Floridians to have a FL permit to carry. In MO I always had a backup permit in case something happened to my MO one.

I will still keep my permits even if I move back to MO someday. Because in MO a few cities if you want to open carry require you to have a ccw permit to do so. Cities can only regulate open carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:54 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralTownLover View Post
I grew up in Chesterfield/O'fallon/Breckenridge. Back then, it felt very small.

I moved to Missoula, Montana for two years and now St. Louis seems massive. Missoula is the second biggest city in the state and it only has one major interstate (I-90) and it's only a 2 lane at that.
Are you not comparing a city to a county? There are 90-some cities in this county and we refer to the whole thing as St Louis. Sometimes I think we should change the name of the county to distinguish between the two in our comparisons. Would anyone agree?

Of course that does not make your story invalid since Missoula has no 90-cities county surrounding it. It is just that your post brought to mind what I was thinking about a day or two ago when posts were going about the dangers in "St Louis". Which St Louis?

All that said, I'd love to visit Missoula. A friend once lived there and loved it.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 18,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Are you not comparing a city to a county? There are 90-some cities in this county and we refer to the whole thing as St Louis. Sometimes I think we should change the name of the county to distinguish between the two in our comparisons. Would anyone agree?

Of course that does not make your story invalid since Missoula has no 90-cities county surrounding it. It is just that your post brought to mind what I was thinking about a day or two ago when posts were going about the dangers in "St Louis". Which St Louis?

All that said, I'd love to visit Missoula. A friend once lived there and loved it.
I'm discussing ONLY St. Louis County. Not St. Louis City County or St. Charles county. I rarely if ever went to St. Louis City County

There's a reason I left Missoula. I got tired of the mountains and the hippies...guess I'm a Missouri boy at heart.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 AM

70 posts, read 58,134 times
St. Louis lost it's chance way back in the day. It may have another chance in the next 10-20. I thought that 10 years ago, but always proven wrong. I'd just put my money on it not every having a true 'come back'.

And that's what I think of St. Louis...a region lacking any balls, plagued with complacency. A place where the people's psychology holds everything back. It's the people and they way they are that make St. Louis the way it is.

It's a culture where people who try to stick out and add flare, are struck down immediately. It's a cult of mediocrity. Insecurity. A place where bottom feeders take the highest rung.

Chance after chance, St. Louis has had an option for the higher road, but the cancer of mediocrity and practicality consistently strike it down with the wrong choices. Always taking choosing black when it should be red. Besides the vote in the 90s to add the metro, there's not much else that St. Louis has made the 'right shots' on.

Improving the connection to the River -- the MISSISSIPPI river. A riverfront that people all around the world know about (and many cities would fight for) -- St. Louis chooses the safest, mediocre Arch grounds proposal. The Aldi of the bunch. The generic Schnucks brand. The 90s Toyota camry. The Applebees of dining.

Oh, the rail station? Don't incorporate one of the countries finest historic Union Stations. Just build a 15 years behind bus / rail shack under the highway.

Oh, the ecclectic creative city museum you must be thinking of? The creator was murdered on the site of his next project. I guess the mediocre monarchs didn't want their minion going to far.

Need an attraction to bring people downtown? Oh let's make a giant ferris wheel!

Creativity and boldness are two characteristics a big city cultivates. St. Louis celebrates neither. So ... no, St. Louis is definitely not a big city. Could be. Could have been. But can't. And most probably won't ever be.

A city once synonymous with a sophisticated palette of cultural offerings, grand architecture and taste, tremendous potential and soul... overrun by a contingency of lazy, bored, defeatist, white bread, plain ole' mediocre, self-promoting insecure bottom feeders.

What do majority of St. Louisans like? Sitting down in their comfy living rooms, living vicariously in TV land, waiting for their glory in the afterlife.

That's my opinion of St. Louis. ;P

DISCLAIMER -- many people in St. Louis are amazing. some of my favorites are from there. but the overall effect of its total citizens are what i described.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:40 AM

I've also never met such vile, insular people as I have in South County, not to mention the amount of Police Patrols that roam the streets looking for the tiniest traffic infractions.

The idea of "American Freedom" and South County are about as far opposite one can get. I've never seen such a place where people are so scared and adherent to the perceived "way you're supposed to be". I felt like one wrong turn without a signal, someone would follow me home to yell at me.

People just need to get out of their bubble more. So glad I got out of that place.

(And btw, I did very well living in Stl. Was social and had a lot of friends, arguably the best education...and I just had to go) The things I actually love about STL, I found the majority of people don't even know about.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytimmycocopuff View Post
Oh, the rail station? Don't incorporate one of the countries finest historic Union Stations. Just build a 15 years behind bus / rail shack under the highway.
Just as a minor correction: St. Louis did not choose to move rail service out of Union Station, Amtrak left because they thought it was impractical.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Just as a minor correction: St. Louis did not choose to move rail service out of Union Station, Amtrak left because they thought it was impractical.

Fair point.

BUT.... you just said the word that I think plagues St. Louis --> impractical.

What is right is sometimes not practical in the short term.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I believe that at the time Amtrak pulled out of Union Station, it was in some major disrepair and costing far too much to maintain. (Prior to it's 1980s makeover, it was featured in Escape from New York).

Another odd excuse I heard was that Amtrak wanted a 'pull through' station for St. Louis as they no longer saw it as a rail hub, just a place for short stops. They had this bizarre argument that reversing the trains in St. Louis was not time effective enough.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:15 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Another odd excuse I heard was that Amtrak wanted a 'pull through' station for St. Louis as they no longer saw it as a rail hub, just a place for short stops. They had this bizarre argument that reversing the trains in St. Louis was not time effective enough.
I've heard that as well, not enough of a train buff to tell if it is plausible.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 PM

25 posts, read 34,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I grew up in St. Louis and visit often, and certainly wish it well, but the worst part is that downtown is so small for a metro area of almost 3 million people. Denver is about the same size and its downtown is practically in a different solar system from St. Louis's. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are smaller metro areas but have much bigger and nicer downtowns.
This is true but Denver, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati don't have two downtown districts in their metropolitan area either. St. Louis has downtown Clayton as well. Put the two together and you'll get the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis