Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times

Advertisements

Got a job in Maplewood and will be moving to an apartment in Central West End ($700/month) in 2 weeks. It is near the corner of West Pine and Euclid. A relative told me this is a good area to live, but I am open to other opinions. Is it a safe area for myself and my girl (or her and a girlfriend) to freely walk around late on weeknights? I'm assuming it is on weekends due to the supposed amount night life in the area.

Anything else I should know about CWE? I do know about Forest Park and have been to the loop a few times, although I've been told not to walk from CWE to the loop due to some "dangerous" areas in between. Is that true?

I look foward to getting to STL in two weeks. Will be a slight change from where I currently live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
That's a great area, vibrant any night of the week. Always keep your eyes open as with any urban area and don't stray too far in any direction late at night and you should be fine.

Yes there are some shady-ish areas between the loop and CWE, but nothing too bad. I wouldn't do it late at night, but a daytime walk should be just fine- it's like 2.5 - 3 miles though...

And welcome to St. Louis!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Got a job in Maplewood and will be moving to an apartment in Central West End ($700/month) in 2 weeks. It is near the corner of West Pine and Euclid. A relative told me this is a good area to live, but I am open to other opinions. Is it a safe area for myself and my girl (or her and a girlfriend) to freely walk around late on weeknights? I'm assuming it is on weekends due to the supposed amount night life in the area.

Anything else I should know about CWE? I do know about Forest Park and have been to the loop a few times, although I've been told not to walk from CWE to the loop due to some "dangerous" areas in between. Is that true?

I look foward to getting to STL in two weeks. Will be a slight change from where I currently live.
The area where you are living is fine/safe. ...has a lot of activity. It's a good area to live.

I wouldn't wonder late at night anywhere in an urban area/city that I wasn't familiar with...I've lived in a lot of cities, and do walk around late at night w/o issues, but after I am familiar with my surroundings first. Get to know your surroundings first to see what you are comfortable with. i.e....I wouldn't wonder from CWE and Loop and back late at night, or even Forest Park until you know what you are doing. Daytime is fine, and driving those areas is fine at night.

I know people who have been killed in different cities in seemably safe, fine areas. Last summer a couple walking back from a late movie in Georgetown(Washington D.C.) was jumped and murdered. I can't tell you how many times I've stood at that same intersection. It's otherwise a safe area. And I have many other examples. Once you get to the early A.M. hours, more crimes are committed in many urban areas in areas maybe otherwise very safe. And for women, I'd always walk with someone else at night in urban areas as a general rule.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 AM

117 posts, read 410,953 times
West Pine and Euclid is a great area. I think you'll be fine there and I wouldn't worry about walking in the immediate vicinity day or night (even if I wasn't large and male).

As the other posts have said, the walk between CWE and the Loop would be fine during the day. Might not be great at night, particularly alone or just as a couple. Some blocks are fine. Some less so. There's probably a bus that shoots straight across (and can't you take the Metrolink from Barnes Hospital to the Loop?)

Actually, if you just stuck to Lindell immediately to the North of the park...well, I'd risk walking that at night. (But that's just me).

But, yeah, I think it's wise to do your initial exploring during the day and see what looks comfortable.

Forest Park feels MUCH safer than it did back in the 70's. I mean, there were always large parts that were perfectly fine, but it got pretty ominous at night. Still wouldn't wander around it on foot after dark, but on recent visits I've been very impressed with the amount of night time activity. The Boathouse has become quite the destination I guess. And the Art Museum/Art Hill/Grand Basin look fantastic.

W. Pine and Euclid is near my favorite greasy spoon, The Majestic! Just love that place. It's supposedly Greek and it does have some good greek items, but it's a greasy spoon. Nothing fancy, but that's its charm. I'm jealous. Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 AM

21 posts, read 57,678 times
Default Moving to CWE

Welcome to St. Louis. I read your question....I live near Maplewood and the CWE. I have children and NO I would not let my children walk around the CWE. It is a beautiful area...DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I love it. I would consider it more of an adult atmosphere. There are great restaurants and bars. I would re-consider your apartment choice if possible. I am also a Realtor. I would suggest a nearby family neighborhood called "Dogtown" or the "Hill". Dogtown is near Forest Park and closer to Maplewood. Rent is very reasonable. You can check these areas out on the internet...they have neighborhood websites. You can put your child in a more child "friendly" place and visit the CWE whenever..it is only minutes away. Good Luck

Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM

I assumed the OP meant "my girl" as in girlfriend, not child. Maybe I'm wrong?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Default New Moderator

Congratulations to aragx6 on becoming a new City Data Moderator.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

17 posts, read 78,483 times
I live in the CWE area currently (in the Debaliviere Place neighborhood) and I love it. Like any other place in the city, there is quite a bit of crime, but I think its the types of crime that is of concern. From what I've observed or have been told by others who live in the area, the biggest crime committed in this area is car theft. My friend lives in the area as well and her car has been broken into over 4 times in the year that she's lived here. CWE is a beautiful area and Euclid/West Pine is very beautiful as well, but I would be careful of wandering off too further north on Euclid or further east on West Pine because that's where those streets start to get bad. But where you're moving to should be pretty safe.

Welcome to the Lou'!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 PM

80 posts, read 222,017 times
I don't think anyone should be afraid to go east of Euclid. The CWE is quite nice just about all the way east to SLU these days. The eastern blocks of Lindell could be better, but I think there is positive momentum building there. Heading East on West Pine from Euclid is fine. The last block before you get to SLU is somewhat industrial, but it's not unsafe, and the rest of West Pine is pretty nice.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM

I agree, I wouldn't do it alone at night, but it's heads and shoulders better than it was even just 10 years ago.

I think I've mentioned this on this forum before, but my mom got her masters at SLU (this would have been late 70s, early 80s) and it was a whole different world over there back then. She was pleasantly shocked when we went and visited a friend of mine who's in law school at SLU now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis