U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 838,734 times

Advertisements

I would choose Washington and living in Wildwood or western Chesterfield. These are highly educated suburban areas, higher income, a lot of physicians, great public schools, and growing diversity. Chesterfield in particular has some of the largest Asian and Indian populations in St. Louis, Creve Coeur as well. As a mixed family (husband is not white), we have had zero issues. We live closer in now and the areas near Wash U are also great, but splitting the difference on the commute is probably your best bet. A Wash U job for a physician is a great opportunity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:55 PM

492 posts, read 378,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
As others have suggested, if you select Washington, then West County (Wildwood, Chesterfield, Ellisville, Ballwin, etc.) would makes sense. You and your wife would have similar commute times, roughly 30-45 minutes. I have driven the stretch of MO-100 from Interstate 44 to Wildwood a few times. It's not great for commuting, but it's doable for your situation. From Washington to Interstate 44, MO-100 is 4 lanes so that stretch is much better. 109 from Eureka to Chesterfield is a windy 2 laner and is not ideal for commuting, but again it's doable.

Another option would be to have two residences. You could rent a 1 bedroom apartment near your place of work, and find a house closer to Wash U so that your wife wouldn't have to drive as far. That might give you a little more flexibility.

I'm not sure what areas that HHS has designated as underserved communities, but you might also want to look for opportunities in and around Troy, MO and Warrenton, MO. From Chesterfield you could reverse commute to those ares rather easily. Just an idea that might be worth looking in to.

If you select Mt. Vernon, then the O'Fallon/Shiloh area would make sense. You probably wouldn't want to live any further east, except for maybe Mascoutah. There is a large military presence in that area because of Scott AFB. Taxes are generally higher in St. Clair County, and the state of Illinois is flat broke. Housing is cheaper on the IL side, partly because of the insane property taxes. I've also heard that a lot of doctors prefer not to practice in IL side, something to do with malpractice laws.

Thanks,
I agree.. we may need to have 2 residences.. I may need to rent a room in Washington/ Mt. Vernon for On-Call nights.
Also, it is better if my wife stays near Wash U and that will hep her in commuting for kid's extra curricular activities also which i presume will be more in St/ Louis. My elder daughter is into Fencing and younger one into dances. Both are also involved in Indian classical dances/

Last edited by Vin100; 10-08-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 50,553 times
Actually, you are far more likely to find Indian dance classes in West County. We have a very strong Indian presence, including Indian grocery stores.

Update:
http://www.sooryadance.com/index.htm

Notice the only two locations they offer classes are in West County.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 AM

186 posts, read 185,726 times
As a recent Chicago transplant, we are living in St. Charles. I can’t really speak of driving distance and location because I’m getting used to the area myself. As far as the people here...we have found the older folks to be very friendly and welcoming. The younger (40 and younger crowd) not so much. This is a broad picture and of course not everyone...just a rule of thumb. Be open to make friends with an older crowd, I have many new friends who are seniors and they are wonderful! I’m 48.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 AM

203 posts, read 230,364 times
If you have a choice between Mt. Vernon and Washington, I'd take Washington. Washington is expanding and on the upswing while Mt. Vernon seems to be in a state of slow decline. Also, some of the vistas in Washington overlooking the river and the river valley are beautiful. Washington has a charming street along the river. Mt. Vernon is flat. Washington is hilly.

The St. Louis area is far more tolerant and liberal than the rest of Missouri. As for where to live in STL, you've received some good advice. Areas such as U City, Clayton, and Richmond Heights, all fairly close to WashU and and the med school in the CWE, are all pretty tolerant and diverse places. Many people affiliated with Wash U live in those areas. And areas of west county have been mentioned and should be checked out. I would avoid north county--it's just not as desirable a place to live overall--and I would avoid south STL county and Jefferson County (the county to the south of STL county). If I have to generalize, I would consider the southern part of the area to be the least tolerant.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM

1,400 posts, read 692,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Thanks,
I agree.. we may need to have 2 residences.. I may need to rent a room in Washington/ Mt. Vernon for On-Call nights.
Also, it is better if my wife stays near Wash U and that will hep her in commuting for kid's extra curricular activities also which i presume will be more in St/ Louis. My elder daughter is into Fencing and younger one into dances. Both are also involved in Indian classical dances/
Webster Groves has good access to Interstate 44 and the schools there have a solid reputation. That would be a reverse commute to Washington so traffic wouldn't be bad. You might hit a little traffic traveling west approaching 270, but it would be clear sailing after that. I believe your wife could take the metrolink in to work, others may know more about that. Clayton is a very desirable area with top notch schools, and would be bit closer for your wife, but that would be a longer commute for you. Brentwood and Richmond Heights are good options as well. Fencing is not a big sport in STL, but it does exist. My nephew dabbled in it for a while. I enjoyed a few of his tournaments at the City Museum.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 PM

4,979 posts, read 2,084,229 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,

After living in Connecticut for wonderful 7 years, it seems it is now time to move.
Me and my wife are both physicians looking for jobs for next year once we finish our training.
Wife seems to be tilting towards a wonderful opportunity in Wash U and so I am focussing my search in the surrounding area. My status needs me to work in an underserved area for next 3 years. We have 2 daughters..high schooler and elementary schooler.

I am getting job opportunities in Mt. Vernon IL , Washington MO, Poplar Bluff, MO and Farmington MO. I understand that Poplar Bluff is atleast 2.5 hrs away from St. Louis, hence it is low down on my list.

I shall really appreciate if the wonderful people in the City Data forum can help us with our lots and lots of questions. We have never lived in any state except CT after we came to USA.

We have had great interaction with CT residents who have been very open and welcoming to outsiders. However, these same friends have been warning us not to consider MO due to racial discrimination. We are Brown..., non Christian and we have been warned by many friends that the strong Christian community of MO, Kansas and AL do not welcome outsiders.

Would love to hear from all of you. Also, What is your opinion about Mt.Vernon vs Washington MO as places of work for me. I may have to live in the place of work town at least 10 days a month for my on Call duties. Other days I can commute from St. Louis.

Where do you think we should make our home... Areas of St.. Louis near Wash U?? Or in between Wash U and the 2 towns where I may get job? Schools are of utmost priority.

What shockers should we expect on moving from the North East !!!
My wife also happens to be a physician and I was sort of in the same boat a few years ago.

Physicians usually live in the West County area, which in my opinion, gives a good bang for your buck if you compare cost of living in other parts of the country with such amenities.

If you are on H1, you may not necessarily have to go to an under privileged area. I think some hospitals in St. Louis do sponsor H1 and process your green card. See if you can do some more research on it? My sister in law has been offered a position and she is currently on an H1.

I encourage you to visit Town and Country, Ladue, Creve Coeur and Chesterfield areas if you guys visit St. Louis next time. The schools are good, there are great religious institutions, parks, shopping etc. It's safe and clean. IMO, it provides a good environment to raise a family.

My brother in law is currently doing a cardiology fellowship in Alabama, and he is coming over in November to sign up on a job.

PM me if you need more information.

I have seen very few physicians move out of here once they settle in the west county area. And you can always make this call after your wife completes her fellowship at Wash U.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,318 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,

After living in Connecticut for wonderful 7 years, it seems it is now time to move.
Me and my wife are both physicians looking for jobs for next year once we finish our training.
Wife seems to be tilting towards a wonderful opportunity in Wash U and so I am focussing my search in the surrounding area. My status needs me to work in an underserved area for next 3 years. We have 2 daughters..high schooler and elementary schooler.

I am getting job opportunities in Mt. Vernon IL , Washington MO, Poplar Bluff, MO and Farmington MO. I understand that Poplar Bluff is atleast 2.5 hrs away from St. Louis, hence it is low down on my list.

I shall really appreciate if the wonderful people in the City Data forum can help us with our lots and lots of questions. We have never lived in any state except CT after we came to USA.

We have had great interaction with CT residents who have been very open and welcoming to outsiders. However, these same friends have been warning us not to consider MO due to racial discrimination. We are Brown..., non Christian and we have been warned by many friends that the strong Christian community of MO, Kansas and AL do not welcome outsiders.

Would love to hear from all of you. Also, What is your opinion about Mt.Vernon vs Washington MO as places of work for me. I may have to live in the place of work town at least 10 days a month for my on Call duties. Other days I can commute from St. Louis.

Where do you think we should make our home... Areas of St.. Louis near Wash U?? Or in between Wash U and the 2 towns where I may get job? Schools are of utmost priority.

What shockers should we expect on moving from the North East !!!

Vin - do you want to do your family and your peers a favor? Move to St. Louis and invest in property in Old North St. Louis. It's available at dirt cheap prices (like 1/10th of CT), but think what you would be doing in helping in gentrify a blighted area and already improving its median income and tax base.

As President Obama said, "Live with them and welcome them." I really miss President Obama, I hate Trump and his racist tweets, all he cares about are educated white men...., like they make a difference in society...

Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 PM

192 posts, read 141,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevadipSuanee View Post
I hate Trump and his racist tweets, all he cares about are educated white men...., like they make a difference in society...
Hahahaha do you notice the irony in this statement?

Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 PM

492 posts, read 378,817 times
Just an update. Washington MO seems out of question now. Didnt work out.
Now I am seriously looking at Mt.Vernon, IL. Another potential job at Farmington MO. The advantage of Farmington is that it is much closer to St. Louis, especially the good school district towns like Clayton/ chesterfield.
Any suggestions on Farmington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis