Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
It really does have a huge impact on quality of life, and it's a big positive for St Louis. The highway system is generally excellent. And no toll roads (another major problem in Chicago)
The only highway I hated was 270 especially in the afternoon can really suck.

Overall the interstate system in MO is great. St. Louis area highways are easy to navigate in general and not congested. Rarely ever have a problem with the traffic.

Here in FL the traffic overall is much worse.

Tampa for example is same size of St. Louis yet the traffic is much worse due to the infrastructure not adequately updated.

Hell just a few years ago I75 in parts of Hillsboro county was only TWO lanes.

We have stupid toll roads everywhere here in Florida. Despite all the tolls they still don't adequately update the infrastructure and slow to maintain the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The only highway I hated was 270 especially in the afternoon can really suck.

Overall the interstate system in MO is great. St. Louis area highways are easy to navigate in general and not congested. Rarely ever have a problem with the traffic.

Here in FL the traffic overall is much worse.

Tampa for example is same size of St. Louis yet the traffic is much worse due to the infrastructure not adequately updated.

Hell just a few years ago I75 in parts of Hillsboro county was only TWO lanes.

We have stupid toll roads everywhere here in Florida. Despite all the tolls they still don't adequately update the infrastructure and slow to maintain the roads.
The tolls don’t go for the roads, the money goes in someones pocket.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
St. Louis could easily add 1 million people in become a 4 million person metro before it started to have traffic problems. It's really a breeze in St. Louis. The highway system is excellent. It's actually so good that it probably prevents Metrolink from being adequately expanded.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St. Louis could easily add 1 million people in become a 4 million person metro before it started to have traffic problems. It's really a breeze in St. Louis. The highway system is excellent. It's actually so good that it probably prevents Metrolink from being adequately expanded.
That's true along with gas prices being low. There is no headache to owning a car here. Where as metros with high ridership tend to be in areas with horrendous traffic pparking issues and high gas prices.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
The tolls don’t go for the roads, the money goes in someones pocket.
I don't even know I would call them toll roads.

What the state does now is most of the tolls are unmanned. Instead you either buy a pass at the grocery store or pay each time you pass thru via your license plate. You see they have these cameras that record your plate just like the speed and red light cameras. After a 30 day period they send you an invoice in the mail.

That $1 toll turns into almost 3 bucks because they slap on "administrative fees" to it that of course goes to the company running it, not the state.

Some of the state roads have big issues down here with maintenance. Understandable like in St. Louis the potholes that seem to pop up in early March, but down here they're everywhere and they're not fixed.

Then the forever road construction. I swear it seems they only work one day a week on the roads.

The county and my cities roads are maintained better.

State wise, Florida has a fee or tax, permit for everything. We have no state income tax down here but they more than make up for it in other ways.

Hell in a few weeks I'll be getting my renewal for my FL ccw permit that will be $100 to the state. In Missouri carrying a concealed firearm is FREE of charge.

Our new license plate fees are outrageous as well. For my car it was almost $400 for my FL plates when I moved back down.

At least in Missouri you don't have the nutcase drivers like you do here in Floriduh.

Down here you can't the old people who simply shouldn't be driving, people from New England always in a hurry and cut you off and drive too fast, tourist who are lost and stop in the middle of the road, and third world people who drive like they do in their native country and we are one of the only state with the stupid no fault law everyone else has been ditching which causes a lot of insurance fraud down here and higher rates.

I don't know what it is with FL drivers but it's like you cross into Georgia and they drive a lot better.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerDarrenWilsonHero View Post
Annnnd....why would it be busy in a dying town? Educated people are leaving!
The traffic doesn’t suck in Youngstown, Toledo, Lansing or other towns like STL ravaged for decades by poor democratic government, escalating crime and a general sense of self-defeat.
Depends.

Here in Florida our growth is mostly old people and immigrants. Other than the defense industry in Jacksonville and healthcare there isn't really anything to attract people here. We lack high paying industries that places like Texas has. Florida is based on tourism.

Most of the newbies I run into in FL are in their 50s on up and are retired or looking to work a few more years in their field. Some who want to work a bit longer end up retiring when they see how low paying the jobs are here. I constantly hear that complaint from people who move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis