Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:54 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

St. Louis region's traffic snarls aren't bad compared to other metros, studies indicate | Along for the Ride | stltoday.com

...so we have that going for us. And I for one appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:28 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Anyone who has lived in just about any other major city could have told you this, no study required. Even in those places where there is regular congestion, it is during the times of day that you would expect. Not constantly throughout the day and during weekends like NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, Atlanta, Philly, etc

Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Anyone who has lived in just about any other major city could have told you this, no study required. Even in those places where there is regular congestion, it is during the times of day that you would expect. Not constantly throughout the day and during weekends like NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, Atlanta, Philly, etc
I've lived in one of the cities mentioned and yes traffic and high commute times do eat away at the quality of life in those cities. What I didn't expect living in Chicago was the constant work being done on their aging EL system that made commuting by train almost as bad as driving.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've lived in one of the cities mentioned and yes traffic and high commute times do eat away at the quality of life in those cities. What I didn't expect living in Chicago was the constant work being done on their aging EL system that made commuting by train almost as bad as driving.
I've never lived in Chicago, but have spent a lot of time there. The traffic is horrendous, even on weekends. The El is the slowest moving train I have ever been on.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:46 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Much of the L is one hundred years old or more, including stations. There will always be a need to slowly modernize and replace older parts of the system. Luckily they've gotten the track slowzones down to 7.6% of the entire system

Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 PM

126 posts, read 231,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Much of the L is one hundred years old or more, including stations. There will always be a need to slowly modernize and replace older parts of the system. Luckily they've gotten the track slowzones down to 7.6% of the entire system
There's also a LOT of stations too. I once took the Red line between Loyola and downtown (and I had to make this trip a couple of times), and even in the heat of rush hour, the bus only a couple of minutes slower than taking the train, which is a little ridiculous. I didn't understand why people loved the Skokie Swift so much until I realized how slow the L was.

I've lived in Atlanta and spent a lot of times on the streets of New York here and the traffic is so incredibly tame, I love it. In my commute from CWE to the airport, the only slow spot is the *awful* Clayton Rd. exit. But traffic here is usually so easy to handle.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:35 PM

186 posts, read 243,326 times
the traffic here moves, and there is space between the cars, in Chicago it’s like sitting in a parking lot...twice a day!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
the traffic here moves, and there is space between the cars, in Chicago it’s like sitting in a parking lot...twice a day!
It really does have a huge impact on quality of life, and it's a big positive for St Louis. The highway system is generally excellent. And no toll roads (another major problem in Chicago)

Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 AM

186 posts, read 243,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
It really does have a huge impact on quality of life, and it's a big positive for St Louis. The highway system is generally excellent. And no toll roads (another major problem in Chicago)
Oh yes those blasted tolls! My brother used to work way north by the Wisconsin border (he lives in the Chicago burbs) it was a two hour commute each way...not to mention the tolls!

St. Louis is much easier and cheaper to get around!

Old 11-07-2017, 05:23 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
There's also a LOT of stations too. I once took the Red line between Loyola and downtown (and I had to make this trip a couple of times), and even in the heat of rush hour, the bus only a couple of minutes slower than taking the train, which is a little ridiculous. I didn't understand why people loved the Skokie Swift so much until I realized how slow the L was.
What bus were you taking? In college I lived off off Loyola and routinely had to take it to Lake for an internship, and the bus or even a cab was never even close in terms of speed in the morning in my experience due to how gridlocked Lake Shore Dr always was. Without traffic the difference is more negligible though because a bus like the 147 will take LSD express half of its trip.

I have similar problems now in Lakeview because the 146 express has to merge directly into Lake Shore's traffic. It's faster to walk to the L still in the morning. My main complaint is getting onto a train that looks like this:
https://media2.fdncms.com/chicago/im...ont_magnum.jpg

Not that the crowds on the 146 are much better during rush hour, mind you. Also, the Skokie Swift is the L. It's the Yellow Line. It just has 2 stops and is little used in comparison to other lines. They are trying to take some of the rush hour pressure off of the Red Line by expanding where the Purple Line stops though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis