Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 04:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone! I am a California native who has been planning, for a very long time, to relocate to the St. Louis area in order to be (relatively) closer to my retired parents in Arkansas. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to spend a week in St. Louis and loved every minute!

I earned my Masters in Social Work a few years ago and am currently working in a private practice under the supervision of a Licensed Clinical Social Work. Prior to this gig, I was a Clinical Program Manager at a group home.

Aside from wanting to be closer to my aging parents, I DESPERATELY want to leave California for a number of reasons (absurd cost of living, traffic, taxes, desire to own a home without selling a kidney, etc.). My spouse and I have found it difficult to keep more than a few thousand bucks in savings, therefore we wouldn't be able to just pull up stakes and move without a job lined up. My main problem is this: I have no promising job leads/contacts in the St. Louis area. Believe me, I've asked around and no one I know seems to know anyone in this region. Without those contacts, I'm afraid I'll be stuck living (i.e. renting ) in a depressing central valley town...indefinitely.

If you, or someone you know, happens to be a social worker in the St. Louis area, I would love to talk with you.....preferrably before I decide to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge Please feel free to Direct Message me with ANY promising Social Work contacts.

I'm a dedicated, passionate, hard working person who loves my chosen profession. I have no illusions about finding my "dream job" in St. Louis right away. My spouse and I would just like a foot in the door and a chance to start a new chapter in our lives.

Thanks for reading! Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
LinkedIn--I'm sure there's some sort of St Louis Social Workers organization. I know a LOT of social workers in STL, they seem to be everywhere. With Washington University in St Louis having one of the best MSW programs in the country, I'd imagine the network is pretty strong.

Off the top of my head, I know people at Easterseals Midwest (helps developmentally disabled), Great Circle (helps adolescents), various Catholic Charities of St Louis related organizations, and some people working in schools.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Thank you for the info. I'll check out the organizations you mentioned.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 PM

296 posts, read 265,853 times
Are you licensed in California and if so, have you checked the reciprocity in Missouri?
Is your plan to join a clinical practice or to try to find a gig with an agency?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Hi Danica,

I am currently an ASCW in California and it would take me at least another year to become fully licensed. I have been in touch with Missouri re: reciprocity. Unfortunately, they didn't give me any clear answers, so I'm not sure if the supervision hours I have accrued in CA will transfer. If I have to start from scratch, so be it. I'm hoping that the NASW will continue to push for a more streamlined, uniform system across state lines. At this point, I'm happy to take just about any position that comes my way.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM

201 posts, read 220,088 times
Have you checked Places For People in the Central West End?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis