Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 33,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Might want to check out in the Missouri forum...'Missouri Favorite Foods'. Some very good regional recipes there.

By the way, really enjoy all of your 'remembories'. So many similar to ones I have about growing up in the city. Ash pits and all.
Northwoods Voyager

Thanks for the info.

My mom, Barb, said that the first time she went to the Ozarks is when she was 12 years old. They stayed in a motel close to the dam. Her parents went down to see if they wanted to purchase a lot on the lake. They didn't darn it! Would have been nice. Been down there several times since and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 PM

18 posts, read 53,177 times
I remember it. I bought Butter cakes there!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM

20 posts, read 92,602 times
Helen's pizza
Luigi's pizza
Magic Castle (a precursor to ChuckECheese)
Ken's pizza
Rockwell's (also pizza)

......sense a theme here?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,513 times
Default 905 Liquors

Does anyone know whatever happened to the owner of 905 liquors, David Kay?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM

18 posts, read 53,177 times
Default Chippewa Broadway Business Association Parades

My father was vice president of this association for awhile and owner of Ray's Jewelry Shop on Broadway. Their parades were pretty big events and I knew some of the small business owners as a child knows their parents' friends. Ray Yurcik also worked part time driving the pink and white stripped jeep watching over the grounds at night at the Drive In Theatre on Broadway whose name escapes me. We got in free of course. I just cant place where that 905 Store was but then I was fifteen when we left.
Barbara McCondra

Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,299 times
Born and raised in St. Louis. Roosevelt Class of 72..Go Rough Riders! We lived on the south side of Tower Grove Park and I spent 5 wonderful years at Horace Mann Elementary. What great times those were.

Such great times spent Downtown. Johnny Rabbit would broadcast from either Stix or Famous (can't recall) on Saturday mornings. He did great giveaways and sometimes even had famous singers there. I met Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. "Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition was In" was on the charts. I thought Kenny was an old man then!

Grand Ave. was our primary hangout. The Ritz Theater, Grand Bowl, Kingsway, Tilmans. We skated every Friday night at Tower Grove Baptist Church. A dime not only got you in, but also paid for your skate rental. Now, that's a deal! I got my first kiss in the TGBC parking lot and ironically was married years later at the Church...although not to the boy who gave me my first kiss!

Even though we lived on the south side of Tower Grove Park, we hung out on the north side on 39th Street. Much cuter boys there!

Free concerts at Forest Park in The Pavilion. I saw Janis Joplin and CCR there.

Driving out to White House Road and Cliff Caves to try and spot Hatchet Man. Anyone remember the old crematorium? Scary place. Great for cuddling.

Concerts in Church basements....Hole in the Wall and St. Pius. Anyone remember The Younger Brothers? GREAT local band. I went to school with the girl singer.

So many wonderful memories. St. Louis was a great place to grow up in the 60's. I remember seeing that Marilyn Monroe had died as we drove past the Channel 2 tower.

The best of all were the wonderful Summer nights spent cruising. Drag racing on Hall Street. The cops would chase us off and sometimes even open a fire hydrant to wet down the blacktop. We didn't care. We'd stay gone a half hour or so, come back and do burnouts till the blacktop was dry. I remember the night a guy drove up from Arkansas to kick everybody's butts. He towed that car home. You didn't mess with St. Louis boys and their machines. 60's Muscle was the BEST! So was the music. The Rascals seemed to be blasting from every car radio. To this day if I hear one of their songs, I am immediately 15 again and drivng around in some amazing car, long hair flying and some sweet boy's hand on my leg. Sigh.....

There is a great site by a man named Dave Losso. Follow the links to his "Memories" pages. Scads of wonderful memories from many St. Louisans.

Genealogy in St. Louis

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 AM

164 posts, read 984,619 times
I remember hanging out at White Castles, eating IMOs pizza, hanging out on the hill before/after ball games, being thrown in the wading ponds at the VP fair, very hot summers and very cold winters, The Landing bars, going to school at SEMO, and waving goodbye and never looking back.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM

57 posts, read 186,812 times
I was a participant in the St. Louis Grade School spelling bee. Came in third. Don't remember what station but we all went to see Ed Bonner after.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,078 times
I was born in St Louie,But I don't remember that so much. But I do remember going to church with my Grand Mother in St Louis and I remember when the gateway to the west( The St, Louis Arch) was being built.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:43 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,116 times
STL entertainment things I remember from the 60s and 70s:

Stages Nightclub (Actually in Granite City)
Superjam
Mississippi River Festival (at SIUE)
KSHE
KWK
KXOK
Russ Carter's St. Louis Hop (Dig it babe we're dancin on TV....)
Great Cardinals Teams (60s)
Ho-hum Cardinal Teams (70s)
Lotsa huge parties!!

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 01-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: add comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis