Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 14,163 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you but many people I know that move away from STL end up coming back (shortly). I have been out about 3 years and moved from South City. My wife (also born and raised in STL) and I are coming back soon, and I wanted to get opinions on buying in the STL Hills (63109) and Clayton/U-City (63130) area.

We are looking in the $400K range and can get comparable houses in the areas. Things I am trying to consider include safety, since we plan on having kids, obviously not schools, will probably go private unless Clayton area has a good district. Also, the metrolink through Clayton concerns me - I tried to look at the effect it had on Shrewsbury (was not quite finished when I left), it seems home values went down and are now slowly rising again, but I could be completely wrong.

We have both always loved STL Hills, but Clayton offers a little nicer and bigger (also more options) for a house for the price. Also, location for work is not really a concern; I will work from home and my wife can work many places and does not yet have (and may not get) a job.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM

572 posts, read 1,994,847 times
I think you will get a better bang for your buck in St. Louis Hills than in Clayton.
The Clayton school district is good. In the city you will want a private school. Though my kids have gone to a Magnet school for a few years, we will transfer them to a Catholic school next year.
If you're into historic homes (read, working on your house) I would consider Lafayette Sq. There are a lot of families moving there.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
Clayton's a bit pricey. But I think the schools are pretty good. St. Louis Hills is a nice area, too.

If you're going with a private school anyway University City and Soulard/Lafayette Square are pretty nice. Tower Grove East and South are nice as well, and may be more affordable than Lafayette.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:29 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,412 times
Clayton would be fine. It's got very good public schools, fits your price range, and is a very nice place to live. It's hardly that suburban--it has a real urban feel to it and has a lot of the hipness and ammenities of any core urban city.

Don't worry about the MetroLink either. Its effect on real estate pricing has been marginal--much of the high and low points in Shrewsbury housing has been the state of the market in the last 10 years, not a result of Metrolink. Most studies demonstrate that property values do not suffer from the presence of light rail (I'm a little dubious about that, honestly...but either way I don't think Clayton has suffered from Metrolink).

I don't know much about St. Louis Hills. From my experience, it's a quaint blue-collar community that doesn't have a whole lot in common with Clayton (other than that they inahabit the same metropolis). Clayton is far too busy and urban for me...but if that's your thing you'd love it.

Have you looked into U-City? It's a more down-to-earth version of Clayton with more diversity and greater scale of real estate. However, it, too, has metrolink. Webster Groves could also be a good bet...though it isn't nearly as exciting as Clayton (though it does not have metrolink).

Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
WestCoDude, St. Louis Hills is not really a blue collar area at all. The housing stock around Francis Park is pretty close to what you would find in Clayton or the nice areas of UCity.

Here are some examples:
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,412 times
Cool. I guess I was right--I really DO have no clue about that particular area! lol. The area I'm thinking of is just east of the Shrewsbury Metrolink station....would that not be considered STL Hills?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Cool. I guess I was right--I really DO have no clue about that particular area! lol. The area I'm thinking of is just east of the Shrewsbury Metrolink station....would that not be considered STL Hills?
That is Lindenwood Park. It has always been a regular middle-class area, both blue and white collar. The areas closer to the Metrolink station are probably the worst aesthetically, but that is due to their proximity to River Des Peres, which in previous generations was basically an open sewer that would sometimes flood (those problems have been fixed). Now there is new construction going up in those areas.

Go a few blocks east from the river and the housing stock is the standard St. Louis brick bungalow. Lots of yuppies have been moving into the area since the bungalows make great starter homes. They can buy a solid brick house with charm and a private yard for less than a condo in Clayton. That area is also home to many cops, since they are required to live in the city for seven years after hire. Lindenwood Park is very, very safe.

Here are a few of the homes for sale in Lindenwood Park:

Here is some new construction in Lindenwood Park.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM

68 posts, read 316,739 times
Hey albo4848
we too are moving back. I lived in STL, south city in my 20's. We have been gone for about 4 years and are moving back from Raleigh,NC. We thought Raleigh would be a much safer and cleaner place to raise a family but with the safe and clean you have to sacrifice ethnic diversity and block communities. Raleigh is lacking in diversity and that neighborhood friendly feel, I loved that about STL. I definatley want my son to grow up learning about as many different cultures as possible. I loved the STL Hills and Holly Hills area and I have heard that the STL Hills area is being built up a little.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 14,163 times
Oh Cool. Holly Hills is nice too, but I worry about that neighborhood even more because the neighborhood immediately North of the houses on Holly Hills and east of Loughborough seems to be turning some. I lived south of Carondelet Park when I was in my early 20's before moving away and became familiar with the area.

It has been a few days since I made my original post, and I have had time to think more about it. However, I am still torn. I think at this point I am leaning more towards STL hills for the reasons you have mentioned. Clayton is kind of a trendy area that is not very diverse, and the diversity and more city feeling of STL hills is something I have always liked about the area. Plus, as I grow older, I am becoming more lame and would prefer Lion's Choice, Starbucks, and Ted Drewes over J Bucks, Miso, and Bar Napoli. But really, I think it is going to come down to whatever house we like in either area.

Good luck to you in moving back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalemama View Post
Hey albo4848
we too are moving back. I lived in STL, south city in my 20's. We have been gone for about 4 years and are moving back from Raleigh,NC. We thought Raleigh would be a much safer and cleaner place to raise a family but with the safe and clean you have to sacrifice ethnic diversity and block communities. Raleigh is lacking in diversity and that neighborhood friendly feel, I loved that about STL. I definatley want my son to grow up learning about as many different cultures as possible. I loved the STL Hills and Holly Hills area and I have heard that the STL Hills area is being built up a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis