Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Empty Nesters, one of which will be working at the MO Botanical Gardens.

We have looked at neighborhoods near the Gardens, and would like some suggestions on neighborhoods to consider. We would like to be within walking distance, or at the most a 5 to 10 minute drive.

Also, neighborhoods with sidewalks and/or paths for running and walking are high on our list.

We potentially may retire in the area as well.

Our price range is $350,000 to $450,000, and would consider slightly higher for the right location.

We are in no hurry to make the permanent move, we have about 18 months to research and look for the best deal/location. May rent for a while before deciding.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods that may closely meet these criteria?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,678,462 times
The neighborhood to the east of the gardens (Shaw) is pretty hot, and has been for several years now. Lots of flippers in the neighborhood. Your budget is right on for a larger single family house in that area, if that's what you're looking for. The area has sidewalks throughout and is right next to Tower Grove Park, as well for running/walking/farmers market needs. Tower Grove South is very similar to Shaw, especially closer to the park (north of Utah, I'd say). It's just further from the gardens.

The Hill isn't far either--thought I'd say crossing Kingshighway/Vandeventer on foot doesn't feel very quaint or anything--it's fairly industrial/busy. Depends what kind of place you're looking for too--most of the Hill are smaller homes, and given your budget, I'm guessing you're hoping for something bigger. I do know there's plans for a mixed use redevelopment involving SFHs, townhomes, and apartments I believe in that area if you're looking for something new, but I don't know the timing.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM

58 posts, read 66,546 times
Shaw is a great neighborhood that seems to fit all your criteria. Tower Grove Heights is a little bit further (across from Tower Grove Park) but would also be an option.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,395 times
Default Botanical Gardens and Similar Neighborhoods

Thanks for the replies to my question on Botanical Gardens neighborhood. We plan to try and rent a AirBnB there sometime this Spring.

As empty nesters in late 50's, are there are other areas we should consider within a decent commute (15 to 20 mins) to the Botanical Gardens?

Central West End appeals to us, but we are concerned it is a bit too trendy and evolving.

Being near Forest Park is a great perk, as we both run / play tennis, etc.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:49 PM

42 posts, read 51,700 times
Shaw & Tower Grove South are both super hot right now and prices are definitely at a premium. If you want to be within 15-20 minutes of MoBot, in a walkable neighborhood, check out Benton Park, Lafayette Square and Tower Grove East. Those markets seem a bit softer. You could also look in Soulard, though supply is pretty low. Zip codes would be 63104 & 63118.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis