Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM

68 posts, read 316,804 times

Advertisements

Thanks TGS
Sounds good. We also mostly eat organic and locally grown, how is the farmers market in that area? I have been to the big one in downtown STL a few times, is there anything like that in Chesterfield/West Co area?? I lived in STL in my 20's so I am familiar with Dierbergs and Schnucks pretty well. I think that NC is a little more "locally grown/ organic" friendly it is promoted pretty heavely here and once you get hooked on all that fresh stuff it is hard to go back, plus I just like that whole farmers market atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I've only been to the one in Soulard so I'm not sure if Chesterfield has one. I suspect you'll find Dierberg's carries far more organic stuff than they did when you used to live here.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM

76 posts, read 297,352 times
Whole Foods will be opening up a store right near 141 and Clayton Rd. in the next several months. There is a Trader Joe's at Baxter and Clarkson and also one in Des Peres west of 270 near Bread Company and First Watch. That is the one I normally shop at. The Global Market in Kirkwood that someone mentioned before carries a great selection of food from pretty much everywhere. There is also a Farmer's Market in Kirkwood that should be opened for the season now or soon. Sappington Market is a bit further but worth the drive.

The local chains (Dierbergs and Schnucks) are carrying more organic food but they charge much more than Trader Joe's, Sappington Market and often Whole Foods. For instance, they sell Kashi frozen entrees for double what they cost at Target (they are building a great big Target next to the new Whole Foods). Also at 141 and Manchester they are putting in a new Costco!

Kirkwood Farmer's Market is opening April 15th Kirkwood Farmers' Market

Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Oh cool that will be very close to us I think, thanks for the info!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Much like any major urban area, the push for organic has intensified over the years. I doubt that the St. Louis middle class is that much different than anywhere else regarding organic foods... it is pretty popular, especially amongst the Yuppies. I even have an organic food store within walking distance of my house.
Local Harvest Grocery, LLC - Purveyors of Local and Organic Groceries in St Louis, Missouri
They have an excellent selection of meat with no hormones or antibiotics from farms within 150 miles of the store that you can order. The lamb bratwurst with apples is to die for.

The City and close-in suburbs have great farmer's markets. In the City, there are ones in Soulard, the Central West End, and Tower Grove Park. In the suburbs, there are good ones in Maplewood, Clayton, and Kirkwood. I have no idea if there are any good farmer's markets in deep West County.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalemama View Post
Hey Kanick
Are there plans in the works for a whole foods in that area?? We currently live in Raleigh, NC and we also love ethnic foods and love whole foods.
What??? You don't trust my answers?

A brand new Whole Foods is opening at the southwest corner of Woodsmill (Old Hwy. 141) and Clayton Roads in June. That is less than two miles (and the closest grocery store) from Henry School. There is a Dierbergs about the same distance south of the school, and a Schnucks just across the street from the new Whole Foods. My new office is going in in the same new center. There is only one other Whole Foods in St. Louis and it's on Brentwood just south of the Galleria Mall.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Aside from the one Whole Foods there's also a Wild Oats on Ladue Road too right? I remember reading that all the Wild Oats stores will become Whole Foods over time, but for now they carry many of the same products and have essentially the same mission statement.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Aside from the one Whole Foods there's also a Wild Oats on Ladue Road too right? I remember reading that all the Wild Oats stores will become Whole Foods over time, but for now they carry many of the same products and have essentially the same mission statement.
Wild Oats was purchased by Whole Foods. They closed the Ladue & I-170 store, or are going to soon.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I knew they had been bought out, but the Wild Oats store on Ladue Rd. is still listed on Whole Foods' Web site, so I would assume it's still open for now, though I haven't been there in years so I couldn't say for sure.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Oh wow I had no idea they were revitalizing that area. I used to live on Morgan Ford near Tholozan back when it was, well less than desirable, back when the South Side rapist thing was going on. That is good to hear that things are changing for the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis