Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,241 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job offer in the city of St. Louis. We are both in our mid-50's and children are out of the house. We would be moving from Michigan. I have been searching the posts for desirable neighborhoods, but most posters are young families searching for schools, parks etc. I have nothing against kids, but I'm really not looking for neighborhoods that are bursting with strollers. I'd like more of a mix of ages with areas that are safe, well-kempt and conducive to walking. I've been concentrating in looking at Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Chesterfield and Fenton. I'm not really interested in brand new developments with a bunch of spec houses so I'm wondering if Fenton is a wise choice. I'd like to be within 30 minutes of the city for the commute and also to be able to enjoy whatever the city offers as far as entertainment without having it right in my front yard. Our price range will be $200,000-$300,000. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
Look into St. Louis Hills in the City of St. Louis.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Any reason you're not considering the city? Only reason not to live there is because the schools are less than stellar, but it's great otherwise. If it's the noise and congestion of the city that concerns you I think there are many quiet residential neighborhoods that would fit your needs well including St. Louis Hills and Tower Grove South or East.

I also think you'd be very happy in Kirkwood or Webster Groves.

If you don't like cookie cutter I'd run as fast as you can from Fenton, and in your price range you probably wouldn't be very happy with what you can get in Chesterfield either.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM

I guess I was assuming that the city=crime. Maybe I shouldn't make that assumption. I like to walk and I don't want to be afraid to walk the dog in the evening. I did visit the St Louis Hills website and it sounds like a very people-friendly place. Resale value is important since I don't know at this point whether this would be the place we'll want to spend our "golden years" or not. Would the Hills have the same resale appeal as Kirkwood/Webster Groves?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
St. Louis Hills should have the same resale appeal as Kirkwood/Webster Groves.

If you don't want the city on your doorstep, then the Tower Grove areas are probably not for you. Those areas are pretty lively. St. Louis Hills is very sedate, with great little restaurants and shops around the edges. It is very safe and people walking their dog around Francis Park in the evening is a common sight.

You might also check out Shrewsbury, Affton, and Crestwood, and the city neighborhood of Southampton. In your price range, you aren't going to get much house for your money in St. Louis Hills, Kirkwood, or Webster. Those other areas are right on the periphery of SLH, Kirkwood, and Webster, are just as safe, but a little less expensive.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
St. Louis Hills should have the same resale appeal as Kirkwood/Webster Groves.

If you don't want the city on your doorstep, then the Tower Grove areas are probably not for you. Those areas are pretty lively. St. Louis Hills is very sedate, with great little restaurants and shops around the edges. It is very safe and people walking their dog around Francis Park in the evening is a common sight.

You might also check out Shrewsbury, Affton, and Crestwood, and the city neighborhood of Southampton. In your price range, you aren't going to get much house for your money in St. Louis Hills, Kirkwood, or Webster. Those other areas are right on the periphery of SLH, Kirkwood, and Webster, are just as safe, but a little less expensive.

This is good advice to the original poster. You will be in lower ends for Kirkwood and Webster, though not impossible, and try Glendale as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
How many bedrooms do you want?

3 BR (you might not need one that big, though) for $220k in St. Louis Hills
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

South Hampton 3 BR, 2 BA $215k

Click "Map this property" to see other houses in the area as well.

South Hampton area $173k 2 BR, 1 BA

Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times
You might also consider the areas of South Hampton (as the previous post suggests) & The Hill.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'm afraid we'll have to spend more in St Louis for less house. What is the housing market like? In Michigan it is very depressed. I'm living in a 10 year old house appraised at $215,000. I'd be lucky if I could get $190,000 for it. Until we get our youngest through college I'd prefer not to over extend but maybe that won't be a choice.

My husband likes to have a large lot. Are there any areas that aren't too far out that would have more property surrounding? If the house backed up to common wooded area that would be ok.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
From what I've seen recently the housing market in St. Louis is doing surprisingly well. I don't think the area saw the same increases as other parts of the country so they don't appear to be going through the same correction.

Large lots in your price range will probably have you farther out than you want to be from the city. Parts of older St. Charles and St. Peters could afford you what you seek, but expect more of a 40-50 minute commute to downtown St. Louis.

This home is older and less updated but sits on .62 acres: Single Family Home - 2511 Millrace Dr, Saint Peters, MO, 63376 - Realtor.com and is only 180k. (I'm actually pretty sure this place is overpriced too- I feel confident it's worth more in the 160 range) This is actually in a very large subdivision and most of the houses here would be on bigger lots.

But you'll be father from the city to be sure. One good thing about that older area of St. Peters is that you'll have speedy access to I-70, so it'll be a straight shot.

Just something to think about (as if your decision weren't hard enough already!) Oh and I grew up within walking distance of that house and my mom still lives out there so if you had more questions I'd be happy to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis