Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Roadtrips_22M View Post
why not?
The Mississippi is not a swimming river. However, some people do boat it and tie off on some islands that have beaches I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM

68 posts, read 119,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The Mississippi is not a swimming river. However, some people do boat it and tie off on some islands that have beaches I believe.
I did growing up. My Dad had a boat so we were all over the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Mostly though we'd anchor at the sandbars of islands on the stretch of the river north of Alton, IL. For safety reasons you sure couldn't walk out into the water very far though. Too murky and swift. People also boat over and hunt over on those river islands too.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:41 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Don't know about St Louis, but the Missouri River goes through Kansas City, and there is a park along the river which lots of people go to, and let's just say, you probably wouldn't want to go in there anyway. Current is strong, and the water is brown.

Oddly though, that's where my water comes from. In fact I'm drinking a glass of it right now!

I'd suspect the Mississippi River is the same as the Missouri, but moreso.
I've always heard that the Missouri River is the primary reason why the Mississippi River is so muddy in the St. Louis area since it empties into the Mississippi just north of St. Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Roadtrips_22M View Post
why not?
In the St. Louis area it's a muddy river with swift current that's subject to drastic water level changes. Due to this, the roadway directly in front of the Arch grounds in front of the Mississippi is frequently submerged. That means this road here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6245...7i13312!8i6656

Can look like this:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ze=1700%2C1112

On top of the mud, current, and river levels, it's also an active river with a lot of barge traffic.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Both the Missouri and Mississippi rivers are subject to rapid and unpredictable rises so if you try to camp on a sandbar or an island beach you may be racing to get to safely at 3 AM. That’s a little dangerous when the river is rising because it picks up logs and debris along the shore so doing it at night is really dangerous. Plus, if the water rises behind you you might be cut off from an escape route.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post
I did growing up. My Dad had a boat so we were all over the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Mostly though we'd anchor at the sandbars of islands on the stretch of the river north of Alton, IL. For safety reasons you sure couldn't walk out into the water very far though. Too murky and swift. People also boat over and hunt over on those river islands too.
By accident, I discovered that whole thing professionally. Some really expensive boats up on the Missouri river and Mississippi and the Alton pool. Apparently when we have a bad winter with snow and ice the docks have issues and the boats get damaged - that's how I discovered it.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM

71 posts, read 79,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Don't know about St Louis, but the Missouri River goes through Kansas City, and there is a park along the river which lots of people go to, and let's just say, you probably wouldn't want to go in there anyway. Current is strong, and the water is brown.

Oddly though, that's where my water comes from. In fact I'm drinking a glass of it right now!

I'd suspect the Mississippi River is the same as the Missouri, but moreso.

Funny....kind of reminds me of a float trip I took with my brother and his friend from Parkville to the output near I-435. We stopped for lunch at a sandbar near Downtown KC, near the Buck O'Neal Bridge. I remember walking quite a ways, almost to the middle of the river before the bottom started to slope downwards. The river was definitely not up!!! This was about 10 years ago!!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
We did have a son of a beach, but he left with the football team.

And now he lives in Malibu where he has a world class beach!! And now a world class football team. :-)

Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 PM

42 posts, read 52,179 times
I agree with MoNative34. I haven't been in years but I know there are sandbars in the West Alton/Portage Des Sioux area that people use for swimming in the Mississippi. I've heard the same near Godfrey. I would certainly wear a life jacket.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM

34 posts, read 24,781 times
You can find "beaches" on the Mississippi but you will have to go outside of St. Louis. In between the Lock and Dam's along the Mississippi, in St. Charles county you can get access to the River off 94. Called the "Alton Pool".

It is a boating mecca with sand bars to goof off in. We did it for several yrs. in our younger days.

It can be dangerous with rock dikes and your boat, so go with someone experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis