Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:31 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNutCass View Post
Residents from many counties outside St. Louis County visit the St. Louis Zoo. It's not their fault the city is unable to manage it's money and charges you a tax for something you may or may not use.

When my family and I visit the St. Louis Zoo, rest assured that we leave quite a bit of money there to support it. That goes for the area around it as well.

We pay for parking, special attractions (Children's Zoo), we ride the train, and buy souvenirs. I'd be willing to bet we spend more on a single visit than St. Louis residents pay in 10 years of any "Zoo Tax" imposed. We usually conclude our visits by patronizing a local restaurant like Seamus McDaniels, Southwest Market & Deli, O'Connell's, or the like.
I think my having lived here in hyper-expensive California these past nearly 22 years has a lot to do with why I totally agree with you. I think it's terrific that these places have free admission to all. Why go somewhere where you feel like you've been either ripped off or feel remorse for having spent an obscene amount of money just for admission?

At the zoo, there is a main parking lot where you pay to park. You can also get there real early and park for free on Government Drive or one of the other streets in Forest Park in most places. I grew up near St. Louis, and some of my best childhood memories are going to the Zoo, Grant's Farm and the Art Museum--all fun and educational places to visit. And they were destinations I was and still am very enthusiastic about going back and visiting many times.

To charge residents who live in St. Charles or anywhere else outside of the immediate area to see these great attractions sends the message that St. Louis does not welcome tourists, and is insular and cliquish. No thanks!

Last edited by northbayeric; 04-05-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: incorrect use of semicolon in second-to-last paragraph!! :D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Does St. Louis City support Forest Park, or does the state?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:01 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
The main reason that people want to bring St. Charles (and other metropolitan area counties) into the Zoo-Museum District is that these cultural attractions are for the entire metropolitan area, not just the city or St. Louis County.

The taxing district was set up in the 1970s, when places like St. Charles weren't really a large part of the metropolitan area. St. Charles was mainly rural back in the 1970s, so it wasn't included. Now that the metropolitan area has grown, it would be wise to include the areas that have built up into full-fledged suburbs into the taxing district in order to ensure that the cultural amenities will continue to remain so inexpensive.

I also don't think that this is a case of mismanagement on the part of the city or county, either. While the tax base left the city in the 1970s, St. Louis County was at least wise enough to realize that the cultural attractions in the City were worth preserving, since even if the county residents don't live in the City, they certainly patronize the attractions. It is far less expensive to maintain what is already built instead of building a new zoo or science center in the county. If the money was completely mismanaged, these attractions wouldn't be free today. The Zoo, Science Center, History Museum, and Art Museum have all gone through significant upgrades in order to handle all the additional visitors. That doesn't sound like fiscal mismanagement to me.

However, if St. Charles doesn't want to come into the taxing district, that is fine by me. If the taxing district can't expand with the metropolitan area, then it wouldn't be a bad idea for the places to start charging for those who live out of the district. The places have been expanding to serve a larger and larger number of patrons, mainly due to the growth in the outer suburbs. It doesn't make sense for those places to continue to expand to serve (for free most of the time) parts of the metropolitan area that don't want to put money into the pot even though that is where the population is moving. Just about every other major city charges admission for these attractions anyway.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:08 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Click on this link Forest Park Master Plan (http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/forestpark/fpmasterplan.html - broken link) and scroll down to the "Funding" section, and this will give you some information. Looks like a combination of public and private funding.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
Quote:
St. Louis City owns and manages Forest Park. A lot of the recent upgrades in the park have been funded by private donations to a Non-Profit, Forest Park Forever. Some wealthy families in town wanted to upgrade Forest Park, but understandably didn't want to hand the money over to the city directly, so Forest Park Forever was founded.

The cultural attractions, like the Art Museum, History Museum, Zoo, and the Science Center are independent organizations. They are run by a byzantine system of state appointees, non-profit groups, commissioners, and boards of trustees. They aren't run by the city or the county directly, though appointments may sometimes come from those governments.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:02 PM
mtc

11 posts, read 31,682 times
Don't forget the free seats at the MUNY

Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'd far rather see the tax extended to St. Charles county residents (do Jeff co residents pay?) than see them become "non-free". To me that's what makes them unique and awesome. Not sure why we should charge just because other cities do. That's what makes them great!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Quote:
The city as it's a city park.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM

25 posts, read 93,359 times
I'd be willing to pay a nominal tax for the use of Forest Park as long as the money was to be managed by someone other than the City of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis