Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm a single mom of a 11 year old girl. I applied to Webster University and will be moving to St. Louis with my kid, if I'm successful in obtaining a seat. I have a few questions. Request the locals to kindly help me out:

1. Which is the best middle school in St. Louis? My daughter is above average and we are looking for a good school with challenging curriculum.

We don't necessarily have to live very close to Webster University, the aim is to live near my daughter's school, even if it is a 15-30 minute driving distance to my University.

I see that McKinley Class. Leadership Academy is for gifted and talented students. Any opinions on the school? Or please advise any other good schools

2. Which is the safest neighbourhood / suburb to live?

Again, this decision is completely dependent on the school selected for my daughter. But based on the school recommendation, request you to also help me with this choice

3. I do not find too many rental listings on Zillow. I understand most of the people here buy properties, rather than renting. Any other websites where I can find apartments / houses for rent?

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom + 1-2 bathroom apartment or a house in a community with a play area, in a safe neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
And what is the monthly rent I am looking at?

Thank you so much in advance for the suggestions.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,468,144 times
The Webster Groves area itself is nice. Very family friendly, legit downtown , very good schools, and close to downtown St Louis.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,851 times
Yes, Webster itself is great and areas around it are all good areas, good schools, etc. I am just not up on apartment complexes at all. But, Webster Groves School District, Kirkwood School District, Brentwood School District, Lindbergh School District (Crestwood area would be very convenient) would be the best places to start looking.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:15 PM

Thank you.

I'm looking for a specific recommendation on a middle school. Can somebody help with that?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM

321 posts, read 998,493 times
Webster Groves is served by the Steger Sixth Grade Center (where all sixth graders attend) and then Hixson Middle School (7-8). Both are very fine schools. Brentwood Middle School is also quite near Webster U, a small but exceptional school located right next to their highly rated high school. Since I know that area pretty well, I can tell you 2BR/1bath 900-1000 sq ft rentals in Brentwood Forest (condos/townhouses) go for around $1,000 to $1,200/month these days. You can also find some houses for rent in that area, but they usually cost a more. Brentwood/Webster are great family areas, but you do pay a premium not only for the schools but for the very central location.

Lindbergh is served by two different middle schools depending where you live, Sperreng or Truman. Kirkwood also has two middle schools, North Kirkwood and Nipher, with the Nipher area being closer to Webster University. I am personally not as familiar with rentals in that area, but they are very safe, family oriented areas with good schools.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Thank you for all the information. It really helps!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 11,393 times
Clayton school , you can rent in the "moorelands" and send your child to middle school. i have been renting in Clayton for last 6 years. rent for condo/apartment 600 plus.
kids walk to school and its a very safe area to live.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:25 AM

197 posts, read 261,543 times
I would agree with lastmove. Wydown Middle School in Clayton is arguably the best public middle school and you can rent apartments in the Moorlands area. They can even walk or take the bus down Wydown to school.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,960,365 times
Clayton usually comes out on top of the public school rankings, so I would agree that would be a good choice.

But I have to tell you I think you can find a lot of good choices/school districts with areas you might be able to find apartments or small homes to rent, including: Kirkwood, Webster, Lindbergh School District (Crestwood), Parkway, etc.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,255,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeezk View Post
Hi!

I'm a single mom of a 11 year old girl. I applied to Webster University and will be moving to St. Louis with my kid, if I'm successful in obtaining a seat. I have a few questions. Request the locals to kindly help me out:

1. Which is the best middle school in St. Louis? My daughter is above average and we are looking for a good school with challenging curriculum.

We don't necessarily have to live very close to Webster University, the aim is to live near my daughter's school, even if it is a 15-30 minute driving distance to my University.

I see that McKinley Class. Leadership Academy is for gifted and talented students. Any opinions on the school? Or please advise any other good schools

2. Which is the safest neighbourhood / suburb to live?

Again, this decision is completely dependent on the school selected for my daughter. But based on the school recommendation, request you to also help me with this choice

3. I do not find too many rental listings on Zillow. I understand most of the people here buy properties, rather than renting. Any other websites where I can find apartments / houses for rent?

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom + 1-2 bathroom apartment or a house in a community with a play area, in a safe neighbourhood. Any suggestions?
And what is the monthly rent I am looking at?

Thank you so much in advance for the suggestions.

Regards
I graduated from Webster. It should be VERY easy to get in as long as you're not a total flunky. They really need the money bad right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis